The Religion Thread

Start here
Di Wundrin

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by Di Wundrin »

Admin wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:50 am
Di Wundrin wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:46 am Same behaviour, same sacrificial reaction to 'buy off' what they can't control. Different scapegoat. That's what makes it 'the new religion'. That's all.
You're reading the headlines instead of the science. Journalists are a pain in the arse.

Good spot on two religion threads, I have no idea how I managed that, so I'll dump one at some stage.
Of course I'm reading the headline!! You may need a moment to prepare yourself TA, but the overwhelming majority of the public at large ONLY read the headlines. They know fuck all about the science, that is the point that you and a few (perhaps choose) to overlook?

This isn't an argument about climate or religion, it's just about how people are being manipulated by the agreed upon pain in the arse media to conform to a view of what climate change is that is somewhat at odds with 'science' it purports to be 'quoting'. They dramatise it!
Exactly as the 'philosophy' of the messiah types was written by the people who were selling it! Moses and Jesus didn't write the Bible. just sayin'.
It too was written in a series of 'headlines'.

Fred the Janitor doesn't give a flying who invented 'climate modelling' or bothers to figure out how the hell they weigh an atmospheric gas so they can sell it by the pound, he just "knows" that scientists (through the media shamans) are telling him his basement is going to flood more often if he doesn't ante up more dollars for his power bills and petrol.

The Headlines are the new Scriptures. The ads if you like. The reminders. The marketing tool.

You don't think that every calloused kneed believer in "acts of gods of any variety" was a student of theology, with full understanding of the heavenly marketing heirarchy. So why do you seem to think that every scared senseless climaphobe is a graduate in some branch of 'science'??
The public hum the incantations 'trust the science' like a Hail Mary. They know fuck all about it, they just "trust" it.

This is where the 'religion' comparison fits. In how it's being sold! Not on what the product actually is. Religion is a state of mind, you know that.
Why is it so hard to separate the product from the sales pitch?
Snake oil and 2nd hand cars probably had a few perfectly good things going for them, they just got a bad name because of the shysters who 'sell' them.

It's all in the marketing matey, media are marketing it for their clients. If you never wonder "what's in it for their clients" then it's you who are not thinking things through. Follow the money mate, never fails. A truly balanced view of the dangers in changing climate can't be garnered through what the shyster journos are preaching, I'm fully aboard with that. But because of those 'headlines' what we have is a disastrous series of really stupid decisions having been made about how to "combat" climate change which are going to kill far more people than complete ignorance of the subject ever could have.

Religious level zealotry kills people. Climate carpetbaggers have turned a scientifically, at least partially, explainable change in our surroundings requiring intelligently thought out measured steps in adaptation to allow society and civilization in general to transition to the new normal as efficiently as possible, into a race over the cliff of panicking populace frantic to ward off a 'doom' that is perhaps a century off being 'disastrous'.
Those 'clients' of the media shamans are making billions out of the panic factor. Just as the Vatican made billions out of spuiking doom to the heretic.

Yep, definitely being sold like a religion. 8-)
Media have become the new 'clergy' preaching bullshit to the masses for "their own good". And like the woo clergy, they've smothered the principles/science behind the 'rules' beneath their fire and brimstone theatricals.
People have to be scared enough to ante up their dollars as protection from the foretold doom. So the headlines scare them. And lo, they ante up.

Religion (some) isn't all bad if it's shaved back to basic tenets of being a set of good philosophically ethically and logically thought out rules to live by.
It can serve a good purpose. It's just been bastardized by vested interests.
Most people need to be supervised. It's a form of masochism I think but they find it extremely uncomfortable to be told that self determination and responsibility should be in play. They'll look for 'whoever is in charge' to absolve them of that mentally onerous duty. They don't want to shoulder blame for poor decisions, they want to force/elect others to make those decisions so they can blame them for their world going titsup.

Just like the priests and shamans gave them the stories, frilled 'em up with woo which was the science of the caves, and with dire warnings that if he supernatural unseen gods of thunder and shitty luck aren't placate in material local currency then the world will end at 5pm tomorrow so are today's shamans promising similar dire consequences for non compliance with the emissions contribution schemes.

Same old, same old.

(I see Sparks is aboard, this is about where he chimes in I'd say. ;) :D
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Di Wundrin wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:35 pm
Admin wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:50 am
Di Wundrin wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:46 am Same behaviour, same sacrificial reaction to 'buy off' what they can't control. Different scapegoat. That's what makes it 'the new religion'. That's all.
You're reading the headlines instead of the science. Journalists are a pain in the arse.

Good spot on two religion threads, I have no idea how I managed that, so I'll dump one at some stage.
Of course I'm reading the headline!! You may need a moment to prepare yourself TA, but the overwhelming majority of the public at large ONLY read the headlines. They know fuck all about the science, that is the point that you and a few (perhaps choose) to overlook?

This isn't an argument about climate or religion, it's just about how people are being manipulated by the agreed upon pain in the arse media to conform to a view of what climate change is that is somewhat at odds with 'science' it purports to be 'quoting'. They dramatise it!
Exactly as the 'philosophy' of the messiah types was written by the people who were selling it! Moses and Jesus didn't write the Bible. just sayin'.
It too was written in a series of 'headlines'.

Fred the Janitor doesn't give a flying who invented 'climate modelling' or bothers to figure out how the hell they weigh an atmospheric gas so they can sell it by the pound, he just "knows" that scientists (through the media shamans) are telling him his basement is going to flood more often if he doesn't ante up more dollars for his power bills and petrol.

The Headlines are the new Scriptures. The ads if you like. The reminders. The marketing tool.

You don't think that every calloused kneed believer in "acts of gods of any variety" was a student of theology, with full understanding of the heavenly marketing heirarchy. So why do you seem to think that every scared senseless climaphobe is a graduate in some branch of 'science'??
The public hum the incantations 'trust the science' like a Hail Mary. They know fuck all about it, they just "trust" it.

This is where the 'religion' comparison fits. In how it's being sold! Not on what the product actually is. Religion is a state of mind, you know that.
Why is it so hard to separate the product from the sales pitch?
Snake oil and 2nd hand cars probably had a few perfectly good things going for them, they just got a bad name because of the shysters who 'sell' them.

It's all in the marketing matey, media are marketing it for their clients. If you never wonder "what's in it for their clients" then it's you who are not thinking things through. Follow the money mate, never fails. A truly balanced view of the dangers in changing climate can't be garnered through what the shyster journos are preaching, I'm fully aboard with that. But because of those 'headlines' what we have is a disastrous series of really stupid decisions having been made about how to "combat" climate change which are going to kill far more people than complete ignorance of the subject ever could have.

Religious level zealotry kills people. Climate carpetbaggers have turned a scientifically, at least partially, explainable change in our surroundings requiring intelligently thought out measured steps in adaptation to allow society and civilization in general to transition to the new normal as efficiently as possible, into a race over the cliff of panicking populace frantic to ward off a 'doom' that is perhaps a century off being 'disastrous'.
Those 'clients' of the media shamans are making billions out of the panic factor. Just as the Vatican made billions out of spuiking doom to the heretic.

Yep, definitely being sold like a religion. 8-)
Media have become the new 'clergy' preaching bullshit to the masses for "their own good". And like the woo clergy, they've smothered the principles/science behind the 'rules' beneath their fire and brimstone theatricals.
People have to be scared enough to ante up their dollars as protection from the foretold doom. So the headlines scare them. And lo, they ante up.

Religion (some) isn't all bad if it's shaved back to basic tenets of being a set of good philosophically ethically and logically thought out rules to live by.
It can serve a good purpose. It's just been bastardized by vested interests.
Most people need to be supervised. It's a form of masochism I think but they find it extremely uncomfortable to be told that self determination and responsibility should be in play. They'll look for 'whoever is in charge' to absolve them of that mentally onerous duty. They don't want to shoulder blame for poor decisions, they want to force/elect others to make those decisions so they can blame them for their world going titsup.

Just like the priests and shamans gave them the stories, frilled 'em up with woo which was the science of the caves, and with dire warnings that if he supernatural unseen gods of thunder and shitty luck aren't placate in material local currency then the world will end at 5pm tomorrow so are today's shamans promising similar dire consequences for non compliance with the emissions contribution schemes.

Same old, same old.

(I see Sparks is aboard, this is about where he chimes in I'd say. ;) :D
Thirteen paragraphs to say people only read the headline? I thought the other religion thread was the ironic one :lol:
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

Hey, we're not all restricted by the inability to string more than one sentence together. 8-)
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Di Wundrin wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:35 pmSo why do you seem to think that every scared senseless climaphobe is a graduate in some branch of 'science'??
I don't expect people to understand the science, but as long as they heed the message, it doesn't matter.
Di Wundrin wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:35 pmThis is where the 'religion' comparison fits. In how it's being sold! Not on what the product actually is.
Except for that niggly matter that religion is a load of old bollocks and climate change is an existential threat to our species. (and thousands of other)
Di Wundrin wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:35 pmBut because of those 'headlines' what we have is a disastrous series of really stupid decisions having been made about how to "combat" climate change which are going to kill far more people than complete ignorance of the subject ever could have.
We've been through this wringer time after time, and it's bullshit, and you refuse to accept it.

Quite how you think "the money" is in climate change when oil companies are raking in trillions amuses me a lot. It's known that oil companies were the driving force behind denial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExxonMobi ... nge_denial
https://apnews.com/article/climate-scie ... 294dd58134
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/14/clim ... ation.html
Di Wundrin wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:35 pm Those 'clients' of the media shamans are making billions out of the panic factor.
Complete bullshit.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Bingo! We have a winner...
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

Good thing nobody's making billions out of selling windmills to fools then eh? or you fellas might have to really think things through about those vested interests. dream on.

How's Germany doing with that renewables thing they had going then? Heard they're ripping out the windmills to mine the coal under them.

Reality bites when the weather gets cold and people start freezing in their houses. Seems that catastrophic warming thing isn't aligning with the modelling 'science'. Running a bit late?

But thanks for proving the point that belief in science, despite all logic to the contrary, is the same response as in religion. Dissent is heresy.8-) :roll:
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Di Wundrin wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:53 amReality bites when the weather gets cold and people start freezing in their houses. Seems that catastrophic warming thing isn't aligning with the modelling 'science'. Running a bit late?
I know I'm bashing my head against a brick wall, but you'd benefit from doing just the slightest bit of study to avoid looking silly.

The 7 hottest years on record have all inexplicably occurred since 2015. The fact that it's excessively cold in some places just goes to show how a warmer climate works - some places will get cold weather as others get heatwaves. Local climate counts for nothing.
grayman

Post by grayman »

If you have been following the Andrew Tate saga, here is a fair representation of how it started:

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

That is fucking brilliant!

Best self-own in all history. I gather Romanian jails aren't that flash, so I hope he enjoys his time there.
grayman

Post by grayman »

A screenshot from a brief Wikipedia page: