President Bush

Re: South American way

Post by President Bush »

grayman wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 1:04 am
President Bush wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:17 pm Stankerosa: Colombia

thumbnail (36).jpeg
"Stankarosita"?
:D

Here's one... what was the nickname of the woman from Tucson who had a big nose?

Narizona!
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

thumbnail (38).jpeg
thumbnail (38).jpeg (87.14 KiB) Viewed 696 times
sparks

Post by sparks »

Stunning!
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

sparks wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:48 amStunning!
That is nearby a great little town called Salento, Quindío... where we are until end of next week. Bunch of great hikes within half hour or so, here's a synopsis of the general area:

https://viajeros30-com.translate.goog/2 ... _tr_pto=sc
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Sun peeked out at Valle Cocora today...
thumbnail - 2024-05-24T202904.662.jpeg
thumbnail - 2024-05-24T202904.662.jpeg (171.52 KiB) Viewed 646 times
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

looks like it's going to maybe rain all day...
thumbnail - 2024-05-23T210350.914.jpeg
thumbnail - 2024-05-23T210350.914.jpeg (93.83 KiB) Viewed 559 times
stanky

Post by stanky »

looks like the perfect amount of fancy.
wish the american dream could handle less

and more color!

man, those are weird trees. can't imagine how they stay vertical.

looks like a great place.

had any coffee?
iguanas?

this evening, we were at a friend's place on the ridge, watching a movie with some folks.
"Civil War" it's called. fantasy about basically today's american divide. I could see it was going to suck; there was still an hour of light. So i decided to walk home through the woods. no trail, no jacket, no knife or lighter or compass or water...just me and a tee shirt and bum knee. it was wild. a mini-adventure. freaking steep! ended up walking in a creek i didn't recognize. much better than the movie. i remain fragile and tough as nails, simultaneously.

nobody does stuff like this anymore. i was ready for an ordeal, psychologically. good chance i'd be lost in the dark; spending the nite in a leaf pile, trying to ignore the scritching sounds.
temps in the 40's tonite. new weather.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

stanky wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 4:17 am looks like the perfect amount of fancy.
wish the american dream could handle less

and more color!

man, those are weird trees. can't imagine how they stay vertical.

looks like a great place.

had any coffee?
iguanas?

this evening, we were at a friend's place on the ridge, watching a movie with some folks.
"Civil War" it's called. fantasy about basically today's american divide. I could see it was going to suck; there was still an hour of light. So i decided to walk home through the woods. no trail, no jacket, no knife or lighter or compass or water...just me and a tee shirt and bum knee. it was wild. a mini-adventure. freaking steep! ended up walking in a creek i didn't recognize. much better than the movie. i remain fragile and tough as nails, simultaneously.

nobody does stuff like this anymore. i was ready for an ordeal, psychologically. good chance i'd be lost in the dark; spending the nite in a leaf pile, trying to ignore the scritching sounds.
temps in the 40's tonite. new weather.
Salento area has been great, just walk out the door and down a road out of town and it's all steep green big hillsides covered in rows of coffee plants. Really beautiful in every direction. Colombiano and European tourists doing cultural tours on the farms/fincas seeing how it's grown, harvested, processed.

We never did that though convenient just to stop and get a macchiato in the middle of wandering the countryside.
thumbnail - 2024-05-28T161205.499.jpeg
thumbnail - 2024-05-28T161205.499.jpeg (192.09 KiB) Viewed 522 times
Amazing how open and directly friendly almost everybody is, usually I don't really like too much small talk but it's different when working on your conversational skills in a second language, it's a gas.

We're out to check out different places here slowly, tomorrow off to the outskirts of a small city couple hours north of here called Manizales...

https://colombia.travel/es/manizales

Spend a couple weeks there to check out walking/hiking on the north end of Los Nevados National Natural Park, high altitude areas accessible there around the peak called Nevado del Ruiz...

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevado_del_Ruiz

More of a young persons' backpacking scene, at least here in Salento, than we saw last year in northwest Argentina. sparks could find him a young redhead here I bet.
sparks

Post by sparks »

"sparks could find him a young redhead here I bet."

Now that's a pleasant thought amid the horror story that is Umerca these days!

Enjoying your travels immensely Prez, even if remotely. Thanks very much to you and The FL.
grayman

Post by grayman »

sparks wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:13 pm "sparks could find him a young redhead here I bet."

Now that's a pleasant thought amid the horror story that is Umerca these days!

Enjoying your travels immensely Prez, even if remotely. Thanks very much to you and The FL.
What he said.