arthwollipot

Re: Miscellaneous Music That Isn't Rock

Post by arthwollipot »

I may be old, but how good is Ommadawn?

https://open.spotify.com/album/200p7O3r ... faKM1cTXCg
grayman

Post by grayman »

stanky wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:39 pm we live vicariously thru your flights of fancy and un-fancy train rides.

J.W. is a strange cat. big hits; odd themes/
gliders sound awesome. for me, it would likely lead to powered para-gliders.
ever done that?
Never did the powered para-glider, but I had a coworker who owned one and loved flying it.
stanky

Post by stanky »

arthwollipot wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:02 am I may be old, but how good is Ommadawn?

only heard "Tubular Bells", which somehow reminds me of Catholic priests. Didn't know of Ommadawn. Thanks.
(surprised he wasn't more famous. Looks intense.)
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

stanky wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:17 pmonly heard "Tubular Bells", which somehow reminds me of Catholic priests. Didn't know of Ommadawn. Thanks.
I've never seen The Exorcist and have no intention to ever see it, didn't know that Tubular Bells was used in the soundtrack of that movie until years after I had been listening to it, and the opening has never sounded scary or ominous to me. I was rather surprised when it started topping the lists of spooky movie soundtracks.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

stanky wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:17 pm
arthwollipot wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:02 am I may be old, but how good is Ommadawn?

only heard "Tubular Bells", which somehow reminds me of Catholic priests. Didn't know of Ommadawn. Thanks.
hey stanks, you know who the voice was on Tubular Bells...
The track closes with a segment featuring Vivian Stanshall, formerly of the comedic rock group Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, introducing each instrument being played one by one. The idea originated when the band were due to use the Manor after Oldfield, and had arrived while he was still recording. Oldfield had liked the way Stanshall introduced the instruments one at a time on the Bonzos' song "The Intro and the Outro" on Gorilla (1967), and told Newman that he would like Stanshall to do the same. Newman agreed, but had to persuade the shy Oldfield to ask Stanshall if he would carry out the request. Stanshall readily agreed to the idea and is credited on the liner notes as "Master of Ceremonies", but Newman recalled that the job proved to be more difficult than anticipated, as Stanshall forgot the names of the instruments and introduced them at the wrong points. Oldfield wrote a list of the instruments in order, indicating where Stanshall should introduce them.The way in which Stanshall said "plus... tubular bells" inspired Oldfield to use it as the album's title.

wiki
Always thought he said "thus, tubular bells".

Great get-high album for a high school senior smoking pot, it had just come out, guess I was seventeen. Read that Oldfield was only nineteen when he recorded it.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

President Bush wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:22 amGreat get-high album for a high school senior smoking pot, it had just come out, guess I was seventeen. Read that Oldfield was only nineteen when he recorded it.
He was also Virgin Records' first sign. Richard Branson owes his success to him.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

And hey, Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band is in the current round of the Forumvision game on ISF.

Coincidence? I think not.
stanky

Post by stanky »

the title of this song caught my eye:
"I glued my balls to my butt hole again."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuoFsi2 ... inyl-Topic

it's the "again" that does it for me.

not sure if this is fake, though.
like AI
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

stanky wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:26 pm the title of this song caught my eye:
"I glued my balls to my butt hole again."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuoFsi2 ... inyl-Topic

it's the "again" that does it for me.

not sure if this is fake, though.
like AI
Sounds like Motown but I don't think so.