Planet America

Start here
arthwollipot

Re: Planet America

Post by arthwollipot »

sparks wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:48 am
arthwollipot wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:05 pm Oh look everybody! Sparks has solved the problem of school discipline. Well done.
Boy howdy, you really showed me didn't ya! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I sho' did, pardner.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

sparks wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:48 pm When some 10 year old says to Mommy and Daddy that he's really a Honey Badger, look the fuck out! :)

Otherwise, make these feral little shitheads stick to a dress code or kick them out of school. There now, stupid fucking problem solved.
Instead of dissecting their lab frogs I hear seventh grade biology class performs gender reassignment surgeries.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

The middle school situation should be in textbooks of how not to handle public relations.

Some of the allegations were true. Some were not, or are at best unconfirmed.

We can confirm that there were masks. There was barking. The photos and videos have been corroborated. Kids did complain about the animal behavior.

I haven't seen confirmation that anyone was bitten.

The spokesman said it was all rumors and there was no evidence.
sparks

Post by sparks »

arthwollipot wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:33 am
sparks wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:48 am
arthwollipot wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:05 pm Oh look everybody! Sparks has solved the problem of school discipline. Well done.
Boy howdy, you really showed me didn't ya! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I sho' did, pardner.
Dry your eyes and take a time out. You'll feel better soon.
sparks

Post by sparks »

President Bush wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:30 am
sparks wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:48 pm When some 10 year old says to Mommy and Daddy that he's really a Honey Badger, look the fuck out! :)

Otherwise, make these feral little shitheads stick to a dress code or kick them out of school. There now, stupid fucking problem solved.
Instead of dissecting their lab frogs I hear seventh grade biology class performs gender reassignment surgeries.
Now that is a great solution! After reassignment surgeries on all the furries, none will be able to pass along the genes at the shallow end of the gene pool. :D
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

stanky wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:33 amI vote for dumping school. It's obsolete. And sucks.
We could come up with something better in 20 minutes.
Go on then - come up with something better.

While school is an abomination, to me it's a lot like Churchill's democracy - a bloody awful system, but less awful than the alternatives.

We have a neat system for building new schools in NZ - they're indistinguishable from prisons, the organisation they share most in common with.
stanky

Post by stanky »

Admin wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:40 pm
stanky wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:33 amI vote for dumping school. It's obsolete. And sucks.
We could come up with something better in 20 minutes.
Go on then - come up with something better.

While school is an abomination, to me it's a lot like Churchill's democracy - a bloody awful system, but less awful than the alternatives.

We have a neat system for building new schools in NZ - they're indistinguishable from prisons, the organisation they share most in common with.
easy: home schooling.
even better, depending on the kids and the community, is no school.
kids i know have excelled without formal school. there's nothing extraordinary taking place at schools, regarding learning. that can't happen; flourish, even, without the edifice of education...especially with the internet available.
instead, school often dries up a kid's curiosity and creativity. messes 'em up physically as well.

in rural areas, the transportation issues are huge, as % of the costs.
with no adult interference, a kid can teach herself to read and write; to do math; learn to play an instrument; etc.
in some (most?) cases, school is an impediment to learning. The U.S. flounders behind Norway, for instance, and the weejuns get it done better in half the time. No homework. Maybe they'll take the next logical step.

right about prisons. they go together.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

stanky wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:21 pm easy: home schooling.
Easy?

I know people who have done it with great success. In each case, the woman, who was always the primary teacher, was very intelligent, and, for lack of a better word, disciplined. i.e. She wasn't flighty. She wasn't lazy. She was the sort who could stick to a schedule and get things done.

Not every parent meets those criteria.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Meadmaker wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:10 pmWe can confirm that there were masks. There was barking. The photos and videos have been corroborated. Kids did complain about the animal behavior.
Did the masks and barking start before, or after people started pulling out phones and taking video? What was the very first complaint about? Was it about masks and barking or was it because a weird kid wore ears?
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

arthwollipot wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:06 pm
Meadmaker wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:10 pmWe can confirm that there were masks. There was barking. The photos and videos have been corroborated. Kids did complain about the animal behavior.
Did the masks and barking start before, or after people started pulling out phones and taking video? What was the very first complaint about? Was it about masks and barking or was it because a weird kid wore ears?
Insufficient data to answer the question.

I've listened to a few people trying to explain the situation. It may have been two different factions of furries. I saw an interview with the mother of one of the mask wearers. The mom said it was a group of friends, including her daughter who liked to make animal masks. The barking girl in the video was, according to the mother, not one of her daughter's mask-making group.

And, the kids probably didn't call themselves furries, but it's hard to debate whether someone is a "real furry". I saw three pictures of kids in masks. Two of them looked like masks handmade by 7th graders. Rather simplistic. Vaguely animal themed. I did see one picture of someone in a much more elaborate, full head, fur covered, maks, more typical of something that might be seen at a furry convention. If she made it herself, it was an impressive piece. I imagine you can buy that sort of thing, which would be much less impressive.

But....here's the point of my last comment. The masks, barking, and complaints to teachers and administrators were very real, and the school spokesman said they were not. Regardless of the explanaiion, Mr. Sorenson was lying. That doesn't end well when there's video evidence.