morality's half twists

Start here
stanky

Re: morality's half twists

Post by stanky »

Conventional morality doesn't deal well with relativity.
Suppose you're the parent of a suicidal teen:
Would you suggest she take up an addictive, illegal drug?
(Probably not.)
Yet, that could be just the thing to give a depressed young person a reason to stay alive. And though it might be effective for a limited time, it could also get them through a rough patch that might otherwise kill them. After a while, you can concentrate on getting them off the drug. At least they're alive. But drugs are bad, m'kay?

Similarly, knowing that the best counselors and motivational speakers have been through addiction and incarceration, why wouldn't a guidance counselor in high school, when advising a student that wants to become a counselor, suggest that he take up a life of petty crime and drug addiction...to get the ball rolling.
For that matter, when we meet the type of person i'm referring to, they'll try to save you from the thing that made them great. "Kids, don't do what I did!" ...."why not? you're cool as hell and make a decent living being helpful."

Instead, we tend to use the 'lever' of influence with an unrealistic fulcrum. We can't admit what the likely outcome is. We aren't supposed to do cold analyses when morality is involved. When the young writer hits a wall, who will suggest he take up the bottle? Knowing how many great writers were drunks makes it awkward. Our reference points tend to be non-existent optimal outcomes.

We don't set out to be married several times. Instead, we look for the lasting possibility right off. Even if the stats suggest the 2nd or third will be best. What if we planned mistakes instead, knowing that we'll need to make a bunch of them? Sought the rejection? Get the accidents out of the way; pre-empt failure; emulate the path of the human(s) you most admire?

logic isn't rational
sparks

Post by sparks »

stank notes: "logic isn't rational"

No response possible as your statement is a non sequitur.

We love you anyway stank. :)
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

If I had a depressed teen the first thing I'd do is put on the new Taylor Swift album.
stanky

Post by stanky »

isn't T.S. the reason they're depressed? Because they can never hope to be her? Or because auto-tune or over produced schmaltz?
(never actually heard her stuff. I hate her on principal alone.)

yeah, i know...kinda messed up attitude. but the pop-diva thing leaves me shivering.
sparks

Post by sparks »

And in spite of TAs otherwise impeccable taste, she's really not at all hot.

Just rode hard and put away wet and slutty looking. :shock:

Sorry TA.
stanky

Post by stanky »

He's probably moved on by now. She's getting pretty old.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Damn straight.

Holly Humberstone is where I'm at now.

And she's not even blonde!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxWldCmiGaI
stanky

Post by stanky »

she looks so vulnerable, like someone raped her. maybe that's the look they were going for?
sexuality sure is twisty.

i saw something about T.S. in the 'news'.
she has a new song dissing kim kardashian.
it disgusts me that i know about this.
stanky

Post by stanky »

The U.S. supreme court may rearrange morality to accommodate a brazen cheater (the ex-president) via the ethical midget, Clarence.
He was appointed by a white president who got points for inclusiveness by choosing a man of color who's kind-of a white supremacist.
Fortunately, the supremes are a throwback to royalty, and are allowed to police themselves regarding ethics. Everybody knows the score. They aren't fooling anyone.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

stanky wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:34 pm she looks so vulnerable, like someone raped her. maybe that's the look they were going for?
There's something deeply wrong with someone who thinks like that.