Planet America

Start here
stanky

Re: Planet America

Post by stanky »

Voting is like staying home. If the outcome mattered, one of the candidates would already be gone.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

stanky wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:35 pm Voting is like staying home. If the outcome mattered, one of the candidates would already be gone.
Это правильное рассуждение.
stanky

Post by stanky »

it feels like less of a choice than ever, in that we will have almost no say in what our government does. the differences in outcomes during various presidencies make it difficult to believe there's more than one party. It has its direction and momentum and both parties are swept along in it. The Biden/Trump thing really rubs it in. How could this be, in a representative democracy? These two old men of poor health and character; one having a running mate whom breaks records in unpopularity, and the other, who knows? And that one is likely to win. Even though he's a caricature of a sleezy con-man; selling Bibles for cash even while bragging on his wealth, so disturbing it is that he has such adoring fans.

How the hell could this have happened!? And why does it deserve our loyal participation? Or, rather, why are alternatives judged so harshly in light of the status quo?
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

At this point the idea is to not make the problem worse.
stanky

Post by stanky »

i've never seen two camps so convinced of their being right. It's bound to be mostly wrong.

hmmnnn...don't hear much about Cornel West lately..
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

stanky wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:28 amHow could this be, in a representative democracy?
In a genuine representative democracy, it can't. But America isn't that.
stanky

Post by stanky »

then why, this persistent belief and concern around the election, as opposed to other actions that might actually affect change for the better?

btw, my defending rfk is a gesture of inclusion more than a fan club. i don't believe in the process, as is, so how can i believe in the significance of its outcome? Plus, i don't want to help jr get assassinated. As mentioned, I prefer Jill Stein.

Here's what happened to me:
As a sociology experiment, i began to look at news on the enemy's channel(s). I would alternate between left and right main stream news...and i certainly wasn't taken in by the republican-style rhetoric...instead, i saw the 'left' news as equally hyperbolic and repetitious. In both, the propaganda was relentless and lazy. The exact same wording used on many channels by different 'reporters'; the bent of it constantly apparent. They were identical! In opposite ways. Like a dumb sit-com of an odd couple. One pretends to prefer progressive policies and never quite achieves them; the other one promises less debt and tax, and fails to deliver. Both succeed equally at fulfilling the agenda of the war machine and the continued (acceleration) of environmental degradation and rampant, unregulated consumption.

so, yeah. Fuck 'em! Both!

(Oz and NZ exempt, of course.)
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

stanky wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:09 pm then why, this persistent belief and concern around the election, as opposed to other actions that might actually affect change for the better?

btw, my defending rfk is a gesture of inclusion more than a fan club. i don't believe in the process, as is, so how can i believe in the significance of its outcome? Plus, i don't want to help jr get assassinated. As mentioned, I prefer Jill Stein.

Here's what happened to me:
As a sociology experiment, i began to look at news on the enemy's channel(s). I would alternate between left and right main stream news...and i certainly wasn't taken in by the republican-style rhetoric...instead, i saw the 'left' news as equally hyperbolic and repetitious. In both, the propaganda was relentless and lazy. The exact same wording used on many channels by different 'reporters'; the bent of it constantly apparent. They were identical! In opposite ways. Like a dumb sit-com of an odd couple. One pretends to prefer progressive policies and never quite achieves them; the other one promises less debt and tax, and fails to deliver. Both succeed equally at fulfilling the agenda of the war machine and the continued (acceleration) of environmental degradation and rampant, unregulated consumption.

so, yeah. Fuck 'em! Both!

(Oz and NZ exempt, of course.)
What did you expect? TV news is just trying to make a buck.
sparks

Post by sparks »

So called 'Public' airwaves should not be for profit.

But, wish in one hand and shit in the other. Never gonna happen. As a species and a planet, we're headed for ever more interesting times.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

stanky wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:09 pmHere's what happened to me:
You may be interested in Ground.news.