Planet America

Start here
stanky

Re: Planet America

Post by stanky »

Admin wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:50 pm Hey, Stanky! Maybe you're onto something with RFK Jr.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/robert-f ... 8a72bdeea4
I'd seen that. Funny how the 'flavor' of the piece is such a big part of it. Huff Post is like msnbc with a slightly more liberal bent. The money shot of the piece, that Biden is the bigger threat, would be easy to argue. Biden could be pushed around easier than Donald. He looks like a puppet in live events. Trump's a carnival barker. I doubt either can influence the direction of the hell-bound train.

i still find Bobby preferable. That link said he's polling at 10%. Actually, i prefer Jill Stein.
Polls and rumors suggest that RFK jr will help Trump by taking more ex-dem votes than re-pub's.
If Biden really wants to win, Bobby will need some poison. If Trump wins, Bobby won't need offing.

must sound outlandish to NZ sensitivity, that assassinations are ok for us. we like it. I guess.

not much outcry
sparks

Post by sparks »

No, we don't like it stank. Please be sure and let everyone know that you're just joking and that you most definitely do not represent the popular view here in Umerca. You're way smarter than that.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

Illustrating just how stupid American political speech gets, we have....you guessed it.....the trans issue.

Ok....I had better throw in some disclaimers. I click on a lot of stories about trans rights issues, and because I click on them, I see more. And....some of them are dumb as hell.

Looking to the right side of the ledger, we have "Transgender day of visibility." I had heard of it before. I didn't pay much attention to it. This year, though, my news feeds, not even just MSN, were filled with articles along the lines of "Joe Biden declares Easter Sunday as 'Transgender Day of Visibility;"

For those who haven't heard of TDoV, it is apparently a day that was declared by activists where they encourage trans people to be, well, visible. Get out of the closet. Joe Biden, who is very supportive of trans rights, has issued a Presidential Proclamation every year expressing his support. Biden didn't invent it, but as President, he has gotten behind it. By the way, it is March 31st, every year. This year March 31 was Easter Sunday.

Republicans were outraged. So what else is new?

And now, from the left. We have the National Organization for Women.

Some people, including some members had been pressuring NOW to support women who wish to exclude transwomen from women's sports. They rather unsurprisingly did not do that. However, I must admit I was surprised when I saw the exact content of a Tweet from their account. It began::

"Repeat after us: Weaponizing womenhood [sic] against other women is white supremacist patriarchy at work"

Yes, that's right. If you are opposed to Lia Thomas competing in the women's division, never mind transphobia, you are a white supremacist.

No explanation of the connection was made, at least in the stories I encountered.

Such is the level of American political speech in the modern era. Apparently everyone is either a KKK member, or a Satanist
stanky

Post by stanky »

As i mentioned, not much outcry.
In fact, i think the most common position Americans take regarding our clandestine activities is to know nothing about them or to simply not believe the ugly facts. In my experience, the dark stuff is never taught at school. Whistle blowers are locked up or worse.
and still, there isn't adequate outrage to have effect. Guantanamo still operates.

so yeah, we must like it.

what do you think?
are the young simply too lazy or apathetic to organize protests and boycotts?

Too bad the draft stopped. It probably had lots to do with the robust anti-war movement back then.

Opposition to wars of aggression, to me, is a fundamental aspect of anything progressive. It's the darkest stain. And that which comes with it...famine, toxic pollution, dead children, etc.
(prolly why i find rfk jr a better choice, despite vaccine issues. I think he's less likely to start a nuke war, which trumps everything.
stanky

Post by stanky »

oops, missed meadmaker; was responding to sparks.

but yeah to meadmaker, re: media's hypnotic spell of black and white two dimensional reality. We are told that we are divided, more than ever. and it seems to sink in, on either side, to where the propaganda package is accepted in its totality.
What's wild about it is that even when we're told this is being done, we can't snap out of it.
Checking out 'the other side's propaganda is an enlightening experience...not because of any data conveyed...because of the relentless bias and bent which becomes all too obvious on your own side, it's all fetid crap. It sinks in after noticing identical everything, including exact phrases, repeated on all outlets of that flavor. The news rooms and order and appearances of the journo-models is identical, as is the car they drive, house they live in and food they eat.

If this new civil war takes place, it will be tough to tell who the enemy is. I'd say the manufacturers of this theater and the sponsors are to blame. Otoh, simply moving on works.
sparks

Post by sparks »

stanky wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:49 am As i mentioned, not much outcry.
In fact, i think the most common position Americans take regarding our clandestine activities is to know nothing about them or to simply not believe the ugly facts. In my experience, the dark stuff is never taught at school. Whistle blowers are locked up or worse.
and still, there isn't adequate outrage to have effect. Guantanamo still operates.

so yeah, we must like it.

what do you think?
are the young simply too lazy or apathetic to organize protests and boycotts?

Too bad the draft stopped. It probably had lots to do with the robust anti-war movement back then.

Opposition to wars of aggression, to me, is a fundamental aspect of anything progressive. It's the darkest stain. And that which comes with it...famine, toxic pollution, dead children, etc.
(prolly why i find rfk jr a better choice, despite vaccine issues. I think he's less likely to start a nuke war, which trumps everything.
This doesn't address your comments regarding assassination. Want to try again?
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

And in a speech yesterday, Trump promised to have a "Christian Day of Visibility".
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Meadmaker wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:41 amOk....I had better throw in some disclaimers. I click on a lot of stories about trans rights issues, and because I click on them, I see more. And....some of them are dumb as hell.
It's amazingly divisive and features some weird coalitions.
Meadmaker wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:41 amAnd now, from the left. We have the National Organization for Women.

Some people, including some members had been pressuring NOW to support women who wish to exclude transwomen from women's sports. They rather unsurprisingly did not do that. However, I must admit I was surprised when I saw the exact content of a Tweet from their account. It began::

"Repeat after us: Weaponizing womenhood [sic] against other women is white supremacist patriarchy at work"

Yes, that's right. If you are opposed to Lia Thomas competing in the women's division, never mind transphobia, you are a white supremacist.
Case in point - that's completely absurd.

What gets me is that people can't seem to find the middle ground here, and I know a goodly number of trans people. They're divided on the sport issue themselves. Some see the sense, others demand that they're women with every right of other women, no matter that insisting on trans competing against women is 100% misogynist.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

And Planet America to the core.

What a shock to see the guy arrested here has both MAGA and Confederate flags on his wall.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world-news/3502 ... ion-videos
stanky

Post by stanky »

oh shit!

that's a level of depravity i didn't know had a market.

couldn't read the whole thing; feel naive; revolted.