Science etc.

Start here
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Science etc.

Post by Admin »

arthwollipot wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 pm You mean you're wondering how they have sex, right?
I'd guess that applies to over 90% of straight adult males. I definitely wonder how it goes down. Or up...

They'd make a fortune on OnlyFans for sure.

Is it a bad thing that men feel like that? Maybe it is, but it's how life works and as long as people don't go up to them and ask "How do you fuck?" I don't think much harm is done.
arthwollipot wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 pmDon't beat around the bush.
Best unintentional pun ever?
sparks

Post by sparks »

Admin wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:48 pm
arthwollipot wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 pm You mean you're wondering how they have sex, right?
I'd guess that applies to over 90% of straight adult males. I definitely wonder how it goes down. Or up...

Is it a bad thing that men feel like that? Maybe it is, but it's how life works and as long as people don't go up to them and ask "How do you fuck?" I don't think much harm is done.
Seconded!
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

What makes you think it was unintentional?
stanky

Post by stanky »

Meadmaker wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:06 pm
President Bush wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:52 am
arthwollipot wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 pm

You mean you're wondering how they have sex, right? Don't beat around the bush.
Not hard for me to imagine how they have sex. There is only one pelvis involved.

What I don´t understand is how they go bowling.
Ages ago, when they were teenagers, I saw video of them playing softball. I don't know if they were on a high school team, or if what I saw was a community league. They had uniforms.
so, you like them young, in costumes.
and i'm the perv?

nobody looks dignified bowling in my universe, because it's a dumb game. a cheap machine could beat anyone. it's all the same move.

maybe if one of the players had to stand in the lane on your turn, and you tried to hit him. something.
rental shoes?
so, yeah...fuck off, bowlers.
(mini-golf rules)
stanky

Post by stanky »

i think, if you ask the question (after a few pleasant exchanges) in medical terms, with the focus on reproduction, it's fine.
Handicapped folks i've known were put at ease by addressing it. Though, it was mostly in hospital where it isn't rude to ask someone what their shit looked like this morning. If i'm sitting by a stranger with a malformed or missing appendage, i'll crack a joke about it right away. so far, it's always broken the ice in a good way. It's tough to get behind people's presumed fragility.

I accused a guy in a wheelchair of using the chair as a crutch the other day. didn't know him. he laughed his ass off. it was fun.
tiptoe on egg shells, i hate when that happens
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

and i'm the perv?
I assume a joke?

The significance of the uniform was that it was part of an organized league, not a backyard attempt. They were good enough at softball to play in a regular league. They played as one player. "Abby and Brittany" came up to bat.

And yes, you are the perv, but it's quite separate from anything you've said in this thread.

I think the fascination with Abby and Brittany is just imagining shared experiences. These girls have literally never been alone. Moreover, they literally share certain body parts, and it turns out they share body parts that are sometimes referred to as "private" or "intimate". 'I think it's natural to speculate on how such people would live when the actions of one so closely affect the actions of another. Every decision has to be a joint decision, to some extent. From the glimpses we have seen in the media, they've managed it. They live lives that are not exactly "normal", but they do normal things. It's rather amazing.

And then I think it's rather natural to at least wonder how things work when things that are normally private are actually shared. When there is an interaction betwee body and mind, how does it work when two minds share parts of the same body?

Well, we'll probably never know. I strongly suspect Abby and Brittany will take most of those secrets with them to the grave. Oh wait....how does that work....
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

stanky wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:04 am

i think, if you ask the question (after a few pleasant exchanges) in medical terms, with the focus on reproduction, it's fine.
Handicapped folks i've known were put at ease by addressing it. Though, it was mostly in hospital where it isn't rude to ask someone what their shit looked like this morning. If i'm sitting by a stranger with a malformed or missing appendage, i'll crack a joke about it right away. so far, it's always broken the ice in a good way. It's tough to get behind people's presumed fragility.

I accused a guy in a wheelchair of using the chair as a crutch the other day. didn't know him. he laughed his ass off. it was fun.
tiptoe on egg shells, i hate when that happens
Back in the late 70s-mid 80s when I was in the screen-printing/street vending business we had a customer who wanted t shirts printed. He was paraplegic, great guy, had a nice electric chair he was running a small very local delivery biz with that he wanted to promote.

Forget who produced the graphic for the design, it was of him zooming along in his chair, and the words... ZIP CRIP.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

arthwollipot wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:51 pm What makes you think it was unintentional?
Because it's somewhat prurient if not.
stanky

Post by stanky »

Meadmaker wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:48 pm
and i'm the perv?
I assume a joke?

sorry about that. i thought Arth had written what you wrote, and was ribbing him for being moral arbitrator of sorts.
The significance of the uniform was that it was part of an organized league, not a backyard attempt. They were good enough at softball to play in a regular league. They played as one player. "Abby and Brittany" came up to bat.

And yes, you are the perv, but it's quite separate from anything you've said in this thread.
that's a load off.

being defined by your flesh is silly. A mature suitor might court Abby for months, and describe her to his mother. naming her attributes and ambitions, hobbies and foods...never mentioning the Brittany aspect...because of its insignificance; because of the hip cat.

I think the fascination with Abby and Brittany is just imagining shared experiences. These girls have literally never been alone. Moreover, they literally share certain body parts, and it turns out they share body parts that are sometimes referred to as "private" or "intimate". 'I think it's natural to speculate on how such people would live when the actions of one so closely affect the actions of another. Every decision has to be a joint decision, to some extent. From the glimpses we have seen in the media, they've managed it. They live lives that are not exactly "normal", but they do normal things. It's rather amazing.

And then I think it's rather natural to at least wonder how things work when things that are normally private are actually shared. When there is an interaction betwee body and mind, how does it work when two minds share parts of the same body?

Well, we'll probably never know. I strongly suspect Abby and Brittany will take most of those secrets with them to the grave. Oh wait....how does that work....
stanky

Post by stanky »

Having some trouble articulating a concept that is difficult, yet, imho, significant, in regard to the way language is used with death statistics. Bear with me? while i stumble forth:
I think we tend to consider death an accident, and when assessing a treatment, for example, we'll say that it saved X number of lives.
But that is never true. No lives were saved. Not so far. Zero lives saved.

So, how about using a more science based language?
This medicine had a major role in delaying death for X number of people, for an estimated average time period of Y years.

Looked at in this more honest way, we can see new parameters of efficacy in determining the worth of a treatment.
As we've been doing it, death is not included as a reference point. Medicine tosses out the 2nd Law!

Here's an example:
Seat belts have saved 2000 lives in my state. The covid vaccine has saved 1 million. The polio vaccine has saved 100,000. Brain surgery has saved 900. CPR has saved 14,000 and so on.
Well...

Are any of these the same people?
Voting twice!?
If so, does that skew the math?

(note to TA: Yes.)

ridiculously, in fact.
To the point wherein such language should not be used in sciency sales p[itches. Or in actual science.
And in calculating whether a treatment is a positive or negative in terms of life extension (and quality) we must look at it with death in the equation.

This is not a nit-picking matter.
In my own case, i've been offered and advised various treatments that at my age, are statistically a negative. Some of this has come to light in the past decade, specifically in old men's prostate cancer, wherein the treatment is worse than the disease when the expected life span is calculated in. And that life span isn't an average. Each person's is different. A doctor has to look at the larger picture of the individual. And that too is subjective. Colonoscopies are aggressively promoted in the US for men over 50. We're supposed to get several over our lifespan. However, there is a point wherein the procedure is more likely to kill you than the potential of detecting cancer and curing it. This has been ignored. In favor of the sciency proceedures.

In the covid vaccine official advice, this is radically ignored.
Doctors find themselves in the position of doing more harm than good; violating their oath; over and over.

Evidence?

of course. I'd rather you lazy fucks looked it up. My hand is numb.
If no one will, or if sparky curses me out and TA insults me, I'll do it myself.
because its important and i want to leave something of value here.