ISF Dead...

Start here
President Bush

Re: ISF Dead...

Post by President Bush »

Meadmaker wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:30 pm
stanky wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:45 pm Turns out, Trump's words about a blood bath were taken out of context. He was referring to the auto industry.
(Disclaimer: I can't stomach Trump.)
That kerfuffle really pissed me off. I didn't read the stories beyond the headlines about Trump's "bloodbath" quote. I just figured it was yet another stupid thing he said. I didn't bother to read what he actually said. I assumed he said some highly inflammatory statement that he could weasel out of saying he said it. His followers would be crazy and possibly go overbaord to make it happen, but he would deny that's what he meant. I figured it probably wasn't quite as bad as the headlines were implying, but more like his other statements that led people to do stupid things.

As it turns out, the headlines were just plain misleading. Lies in all but the literal sense. The headlines, and in some cases some of the story text, which I read later, were about as close as you could get to lying while maintining some sort of marginal deniability.

In context, what he said may not be correct, but it was impossible to misinterpret as any sort of call to or prediction of violence.
Hereś what he actually said. Sounds to me as if neither stanky nor Meadmaker have listened to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh8HqfBJXiA

Sounds like a threat to me, to the entire country not just the auto industry, if he isn´t elected.
stanky

Post by stanky »

i did hear it. yeah, sounds threatening, but probably not to his 'people'. They seem to love it. I don't think they take it seriously, the bloodbath stuff. it's pro-wrestling talk. Maybe a handful would do crazy shit. Blowhards must bloviate.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

The caption of the video holds the key. (Not that it's necessary, because I had only heard audio before.) His "bloodbath" comment came in the middle of talking about the auto industry, That's right. Because he was talking about the auto industry, specifically the effect that imports from Chinese plants in Mexico would have on the auto industry. His claim is that if he does not get elected, there will be a bloodbath for the auto industry, but not just the auto industry, for the whole country.

I don't agree with his comments. I don't think you can put 100% tariffs on imported cars. I don't think he will save the auto industry any more than he saved the coal industry. However, it's not hard to understand what he was claiming, assuming you want to understand.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Meadmaker wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:48 pm His claim is that if he does not get elected, there will be a bloodbath for the auto industry, but not just the auto industry, for the whole country.

However, it's not hard to understand what he was claiming, assuming you want to understand.
ok.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

Is there some maintenance going on over at ISF? No threads right now.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Meadmaker wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm Is there some maintenance going on over at ISF? No threads right now.
Yes, there was a botstorm that killed performance, and Icerat has had to turn off access for non logged in users. I haven't checked in this morning yet.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Meadmaker wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm Is there some maintenance going on over at ISF? No threads right now.
I love the smell of schadenfreude in the morning.

The saga just gets more and more amusing, and I'm enjoying every second of it.

I was fucking vilified for suggesting Icerat should give up the forum because he was letting it rot, then he suddenly re-appeared after a 4-year absence and asked for money. Quite a bit was donated on the basis he was going to re-energise the place. To date, exactly nothing has happened, apart from taking up my suggestion of loading free https to the site.

Because the hosting is on some shit server, the number of 'bots has impacted the forum so badly that he's had to switch the forum off for all except signed-in members, so you won't be able to see any of it until he decides to spend some money on a software fix for the issue, or upgrade hosting - which also costs money.

It's clear from what Icerat said on his return he thought it was going to be an income stream for him - which is what everyone was accusing me of seeking - and they're all now finding out the truth: forums don't make money, they cost money.

Reality bites sometimes.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

arthwollipot wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 pmYes, there was a botstorm that killed performance...
It's being well and truly over-sold as a "storm". It's nothing even remotely unusual, and well within the boundaries of what to expect on 2024 internet. I could fix it in 10 seconds.

Also, I'd been meaning to say that I did notice, and appreciate, your vote of confidence in me in the Modest Proposal thread.

I'm always amused that people who I've given a serve immediately jumped in and screeched about what a bad man I am. Those of you who took the opposing path are noted.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Despite our differences, I don't believe you are a dishonest man.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

Admin wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:52 pm
arthwollipot wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 pmYes, there was a botstorm that killed performance...
It's being well and truly over-sold as a "storm". It's nothing even remotely unusual, and well within the boundaries of what to expect on 2024 internet. I could fix it in 10 seconds.

Also, I'd been meaning to say that I did notice, and appreciate, your vote of confidence in me in the Modest Proposal thread.

I'm always amused that people who I've given a serve immediately jumped in and screeched about what a bad man I am. Those of you who took the opposing path are noted.
The Modest Proposal thread? Is that active? Is it the same old Modest Proposal thread? Or a new one with a similar name?

I haven't been able to read it for two years.