Science etc.

Start here
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Science etc.

Post by Admin »

Knowing very well what the covid situation is, my bet is you've come across a study that quite rightly shows the bivalent vaccine is worthless against the newest variant, so you're claiming all of the covid vaccines are worthless.

That, of course, is utter bollocks.
stanky

Post by stanky »

An at risk person who hasn't had covid yet, might do well to get the shot.
The evidence that suggests healthy young men who have already had covid need to get all the boosters is thin to non-existent.
Unless you have some.
stanky

Post by stanky »

It's funny (to me) that we have difficulty imagining just how corrupt the relationship between science and big pharma has become.
The U.S., of course, is the world's biggest drug glutton by far. We invent ailments for the sake of selling solutions. Invention is its own mother. It's not cheap, this constant battle against filth. The products we need for the problems they solve...most didn't exist when i was a kid.
OTC meds are bad enough, though incredibly profitable. The prescription drugs and the money therein, put the cartels to shame.
There's bad actors and bad histories, including very recent ones, like the OxyContin fiasco. Before that, Bayer Heroin. Whatever.
Less obvious is the $ in selling compounds that are active in sub-milligram doses and aren't particularly difficult to synthesize in a lab.
Profits potential is bound to draw the non-altruistic. Our skepticism deserves to be set high, regarding new blockbuster drugs. Or even the ailments. Maybe your dog doesn't need Prozac. Maybe your kid doesn't need Adderal. Maybe we're made sick so we can buy remedies. Far-fetched? Hardly.

Vigilance and scrutiny.

(And Titanic Brass Polish)
grayman

Post by grayman »

Titanic Brass Polish, now gluten free!
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

stanky wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:58 pm It's funny (to me) that we have difficulty imagining just how corrupt the relationship between science and big pharma has become.
The U.S., of course, is the world's biggest drug glutton by far. We invent ailments for the sake of selling solutions. Invention is its own mother. It's not cheap, this constant battle against filth. The products we need for the problems they solve...most didn't exist when i was a kid.
OTC meds are bad enough, though incredibly profitable. The prescription drugs and the money therein, put the cartels to shame.
There's bad actors and bad histories, including very recent ones, like the OxyContin fiasco. Before that, Bayer Heroin. Whatever.
Less obvious is the $ in selling compounds that are active in sub-milligram doses and aren't particularly difficult to synthesize in a lab.
Profits potential is bound to draw the non-altruistic. Our skepticism deserves to be set high, regarding new blockbuster drugs. Or even the ailments. Maybe your dog doesn't need Prozac. Maybe your kid doesn't need Adderal. Maybe we're made sick so we can buy remedies. Far-fetched? Hardly.

Vigilance and scrutiny.

(And Titanic Brass Polish)

https://www.theguardian.com/books/books ... ding-group
stanky

Post by stanky »

a pod of orcas was seen hunting dolphin among swimmers and surfers in san diego.
not sure i'd want to be in the water for that carnage, though i'm sure it's exciting.

could be renegades; law breakers
punk gangsters on a last wild ride

they haven't started eating us because of clothing.
they can't sort that out, the way they eat.
but they sense that it's there; that indigestible bathing suit.

some naked volunteers would be handy to test the hypothesis
grayman

Post by grayman »

sparks

Post by sparks »

I'm going to make this point one last time for stanks benefit.

Science or more to the point, the scientific process is not at fault here. It's the miserable greed pigs who abuse it who are to blame.

So when you draw a comparison between science and big pharma you are fucked on so many levels as to be laughable.

In this mess there is only big pharma.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

grayman wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:08 pm Some star science stuff:

https://www.space.com/james-webb-space- ... dead-stars
The Webb telescope is possibly the coolest thing we've ever made.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

sparks wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:22 pmIn this mess there is only big pharma.
The problem is, like corrupt politics, there isn't an answer.

The Friedman Doctrine insists that the only people company directors are responsible to is shareholders, and unless we come up with a new way of finding new drugs without a profit motive, nothing will change.

Regardless of the profiteering, it does work and human life spans have been extended by about 40 years by medical science and new drugs. Cancer survival has improved exponentially, and we even have antiviral drugs now. None of that would have happened if someone wasn't getting rich on it.