trump off the CO ballot

Start here
stanky

Re: trump off the CO ballot

Post by stanky »

Meadmaker wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:46 am
sparks wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:24 am You're a citizen of Ireland? What the fuck are you waiting for? :)
From what I've read, they have some nuttiness of their own going on.

(I've never lived there, but mom did. Under Irish law, that makes me a citizen, and while my passport is not up to date, I do have one.)

But if Trump gets elected, we'll see.

I don't think it's likely we'll descend into anarchy, chaos, civil war, or dictatorship, but if you had told me eight years ago that there was even a slim possibility of any of those, I would have called you a conspiracy theorist. Now I would just call you a pessimist.
We (peers) felt the same when Nixon was elected. Or Ford, appointed. Or the clown actor, Reagan! Friends did split the country over that gaffaw. The we had the head C.I.A. as Prez, and later, his hapless son...the brunt of jokes every where. It's been this crazy all along, and it barely matters.

Which isn't to say nothing matters, or there's nothing to be done. There is, i think...just not in that theater. It's soul sucking.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

President Bush wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:58 pm
Meadmaker wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:46 am (I've never lived there, but mom did. Under Irish law, that makes me a citizen, and while my passport is not up to date, I do have one.)
Passport renewal, even expedited, can take 6-8 weeks. Avoid the rush is my recommendation.

A US passport is one of the strongest on earth to have in terms of being able to enter countries visa free or with a visa on arrival/demand. Singapore and Japan I think are the top two.
My US passport is up to date. It's my Irish passport that has expired.

That one takes even longer to renew, but it means that if I really feel the need to leave this country, I have a place to go where they'll take me in.

Lest anyone be concerned, I don't think I will actually feel compelled to leave the United States. However, like I said, just a few years ago it was completely unthinkable. I wish that were still the case today.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Meadmaker wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:38 am
President Bush wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:06 am Seems as if it may hinge somewhat on if the holder of the office of the presdent is... an officer.
If it were anyone but Trump, I would say no one would put forward an argument so stupid.
Sometimes creative, however...

https://reason.com/volokh/2021/01/20/is ... amendment/
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

Headlines today are about House Democrats pointing out that Trump got 8 million from foreign governments and "government backed entities" when he was President.

One of the reasons it is so difficult to nail Trump on the important things is that Democrats and left-wing media sources are so busy trying to nail him on things that are not important. This new report isn't news. He's a businessman. He runs businesses that sell stuff, or more often, rent stuff, like hotel rooms and greens fees, to foreigners. Who gives a rat's ass?

By the way. He's also batshit crazy.

That's my problem with Trump. People say all sorts of things about Trump, but even for the bad ones, he's no worse than a typical American, and in many ways he's better, in my opinion, than the average Republican.

However, he's friggin' nuts. He doesn't know reality from fantasy. He really believes that his inauguration crowd was bigger than Obama's. He really needs it to be true. He really believes that he won the election, and that Congress or Pence or legislators should have done something about it.

Meanwhile, House Democrats think that maybe people will care if they call hotel room charges "emoluments".

He's a racist! Emoluments! Collusion!

Uhhh.....he just told a mob to storm the capital.

"There you go again."
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I think it's the case that so much about Trump is totally negative and makes no difference that they're clutching at straws of any kind to throw at him.

Won't work.

The only thing that will save America from a second Trump term will be that many lifelong Republicans won't vote for him.
stanky

Post by stanky »

If biden weren't so unpopular, Trump wouldn't have a chance.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

Oral arguments before the Supreme Court are set for February 8.

Colorado and Maine hold primaries on March 5.

That's not a lot of time. Usually, there's quite a bit of time between oral arguments and decisions, though the court has been known to speed things along quickly, as in Bush v. Gore.

Still, that doesn't give a lot of time for ballot printing. They can probably do it, but I'm a bit surprised they waited that long.

Although, the cynic in me thinks it might be so that they have time to write the opinion before they hear the arguments.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Meadmaker wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 pm Although, the cynic in me thinks it might be so that they have time to write the opinion before they hear the arguments.
I think that's a given. They'll issue the decision about 3 minutes after the last person speaks.
grayman

Post by grayman »

Trump cannot be on the Nevada ballot:

https://thenevadaindependent.com/articl ... ary-ballot
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Insane but stupid as well.