trump off the CO ballot

Start here
sparks

Re: trump off the CO ballot

Post by sparks »

I'm no expert either but it's plausible that the previous climate set, the one in which we're comfy and all our plants and animals (food) do well was a stable set. But along comes the industrial revolution which if unchecked will push the climate set into the next stable set. Unfortunately, we, our food, and everything else on the planet will be more than uncomfortable. We'll be dead.

Think Venus.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

sparks wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:02 pm I'm no expert either but it's plausible that the previous climate set,
Lots of things are plausible. Which plausible thing is still plausible after examining the evidence? My conclusion was that a lot of things that sound plausible, and terrifying, weren't backed up.

However.....that was a long time ago and my research was superficial at best. Maybe the mood will bite me to take another look. If I do, and I find anything worth sharing, I'll post in a new thread, or the "all things science" thread.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

A comment from a Trump spokesman regarding the decision by Maine's Secretary of State to remove Trump from the ballot:

"We are witnessing, in real-time, the attempted theft of an election and the disenfranchisement of the American voter," he added.

Uhmmmm.....Yeah.....That would sure suck. I know I would never vote for anyone that I thought would steal an election.
(Over at ISF we had "irony meters". I think that spokesman gets one of those.)

On a personal level, I can't decide whether I want Trump off the ballot, or whether I want him on, to see if we in America really deserve democracy. After what he did post-election in 2020, if the majority (using electoral college math) still vote for him, we deserve what we get.

Or maybe I'm just saying that because I'm a citizen of Ireland and have the option to move.
sparks

Post by sparks »

You're a citizen of Ireland? What the fuck are you waiting for? :)
sparks

Post by sparks »

Ever read anything on chaos theory, how about the Mandlebrot Set?
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Just take a point called Z in the complex plane
Let Z1 be Z squared plus C
And Z2 is Z1 squared plus C
And Z3 is Z2 squared plus C
And so on
If the series of Z's should always stay
Close to Z and never trend away
That point is in the Mandelbrot Set

What does this have to do with elections?

(with apologies to Jonathan Coulton)
If you're not on edge, you're taking up too much space.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

sparks wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:24 am You're a citizen of Ireland? What the fuck are you waiting for? :)
From what I've read, they have some nuttiness of their own going on.

(I've never lived there, but mom did. Under Irish law, that makes me a citizen, and while my passport is not up to date, I do have one.)

But if Trump gets elected, we'll see.

I don't think it's likely we'll descend into anarchy, chaos, civil war, or dictatorship, but if you had told me eight years ago that there was even a slim possibility of any of those, I would have called you a conspiracy theorist. Now I would just call you a pessimist.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

I created a thread to discuss the global warming tangent.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

I've given more thought to the issue of Trump and the ballot, especially now that Maine has joined Colorado.

I'm incredibly confident that the Supreme Court will side with Trump, but should they?

I go back and forth in my mind on the subject, but right now, I'm leaning toward saying they should. i.rightte. they should side with Trump on the issue of ballot access.

I see much more potential for mischief if state election officials decide they can keep people off ballots. The question of Donald Trump's involvement in an insurrection on January 6 is sufficiently complicated that I don't think Secretaries of State should have the power to decide it. In the absense of a conviction, I can't bring myself to say that people should not be allowed to vote for him. If it's really so clear cut that he ought to be disqualified, then it ought to be clear cut that he committed a crime, and should be prosecuted.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll feel differently. Right now, I'm just curious what reasoning the court will use in the case. I suspect they'll try to avoid it altogether. If there's a way to force him back on the ballot without issuing a written opinion, I think they'll take it.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Meadmaker wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:46 am (I've never lived there, but mom did. Under Irish law, that makes me a citizen, and while my passport is not up to date, I do have one.)
Passport renewal, even expedited, can take 6-8 weeks. Avoid the rush is my recommendation.

A US passport is one of the strongest on earth to have in terms of being able to enter countries visa free or with a visa on arrival/demand. Singapore and Japan I think are the top two.