A very depressing video from Gaza

Start here
stanky

Re: A very depressing video from Gaza

Post by stanky »

being penalized for expressing hatred hardly fixes the hate.
Everybody hates Jews. Jews hate Jews. Everyone more or less hates everyone, including themselves. So what? As long as no one is hurt. Pity the definition of hate speech is assigned to that which hates. Blaspheming the butcher is hate; some people could use a good genocide. Inevitably, we americans are cajoled into embracing the hate radiating from the seats of power, for the sake of cheerleading the next pointless war.
Bush 2 certainly employed hate speech and lies to denigrate the Iraqi's enough that otherwise rational humans were afraid to speak out against it.
Look at the death that followed...it's what we do. Israel's turn, i guess. With shake down money from the U.S. I resent being dragged into it.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

The war is horrific, but this is fucking funny: https://www.mediaite.com/news/turkish-l ... -of-allah/
grayman

Post by grayman »

Admin wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:01 pm The war is horrific, but this is fucking funny: https://www.mediaite.com/news/turkish-l ... -of-allah/
Allah working in mysterious ways again.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

stanky wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:46 am Inevitably, we americans are cajoled into embracing the hate radiating from the seats of power, for the sake of cheerleading the next pointless war.
Bush 2 certainly employed hate speech and lies to denigrate the Iraqi's enough that otherwise rational humans were afraid to speak out against it.
Ain''t it the truth.

It's not so much that hate speech is being penalized in the USA today. It's just the wrong kind of hate speech that is penalized.

In terms of cancel culture, I've seen stories about people "cancelled" on this whole Israeli/Palestine issue for being on either side of the issue. Job offers declined becuase they spoke out against Israel. Job offers declined because they spoke out for Israel.

It's all kind of crazy. Whatever happened to "It's a free country." For Kiwis and Aussies in the crowd, in America at least, that used to be a stock saying. You might say a cliche. If someone expressed an opinion on a political subject that was unpopular, instead of arguing with them, you might say, "It's a free country." It basically meant, "I really wish you would shut up so we could enjoy the baseball game." or sometimes, "I think you're a moron, but I don't really care." or possibly even "Shut up and get back to work." It was a way of saying that your beliefs were ok, but we don't really care.

Now, expressing an unpopular opinion can get you fired.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Meadmaker wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:45 pm
stanky wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:46 am Inevitably, we americans are cajoled into embracing the hate radiating from the seats of power, for the sake of cheerleading the next pointless war.
Ain''t it the truth.

It's not so much that hate speech is being penalized in the USA today. It's just the wrong kind of hate speech that is penalized.

In terms of cancel culture, I've seen stories about people "cancelled" on this whole Israeli/Palestine issue for being on either side of the issue. Job offers declined becuase they spoke out against Israel. Job offers declined because they spoke out for Israel.

It's all kind of crazy. Whatever happened to "It's a free country." For Kiwis and Aussies in the crowd, in America at least, that used to be a stock saying. You might say a cliche. If someone expressed an opinion on a political subject that was unpopular, instead of arguing with them, you might say, "It's a free country." It basically meant, "I really wish you would shut up so we could enjoy the baseball game." or sometimes, "I think you're a moron, but I don't really care." or possibly even "Shut up and get back to work." It was a way of saying that your beliefs were ok, but we don't really care.

Now, expressing an unpopular opinion can get you fired.
I doubt exressing an unpopular opinion at a baseball game will get you fired. Unless it is then amplified wildly on social media.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

President Bush wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:48 pmI doubt exressing an unpopular opinion at a baseball game will get you fired. Unless it is then amplified wildly on social media.
Generally true, but a lot of employers are including behaviour outside of work as a disciplinary matter nowadays. If you're seen waving a Nazi flag, you're probably going to get fired.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Meadmaker wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:45 pmIt's not so much that hate speech is being penalized in the USA today. It's just the wrong kind of hate speech that is penalized.
The reference to the "wrong kind of hate speech" implies that there is a "right kind of hate speech" and that's not something I can get on board with.
sparks

Post by sparks »

arthwollipot wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:10 pm
Meadmaker wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:45 pmIt's not so much that hate speech is being penalized in the USA today. It's just the wrong kind of hate speech that is penalized.
The reference to the "wrong kind of hate speech" implies that there is a "right kind of hate speech" and that's not something I can get on board with.
Agreed.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Admin wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:24 pm
President Bush wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:48 pmI doubt exressing an unpopular opinion at a baseball game will get you fired. Unless it is then amplified wildly on social media.
Generally true, but a lot of employers are including behaviour outside of work as a disciplinary matter nowadays. If you're seen waving a Nazi flag, you're probably going to get fired.
Is the name of the team "the Nazis"? Otherwise, it seems unlikely anybody will be waving a Nazi flag at a baseball game.

Unless it's for the online followers, likes, youtube views, self promotion, or whatever one calls their brand of digital narcissism.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

arthwollipot wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:10 pm
I think what Stanky was getting at, and what I intended to echo, was that there were forms of hate speech that were approved by the Powers That Be. This is especially true during wars and run ups to war.