war

Start here
stanky

war

Post by stanky »

War. What is it good for?
Here's a good start:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqxgP8W ... hnnyHarris

The last on his list is U.S. congress. Turns out, war profiteering is non-partisan.
That should speak volumes regarding the charade of elections.
A vote is a vote for war.

Don't forget to thank your local heroes for their sacrifice.
arthwollipot

Re: war

Post by arthwollipot »

War isn't heroic.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

George Carlin - Dead soldiers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUXGfmh9N2o
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

stanky wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:17 pm That should speak volumes regarding the charade of elections.
A vote is a vote for war.
Personally, I'm going to keep voting. I agree with the comment, attributed to Winston Churchill, that democracy is the worst form of government, except for all of the others.

On the other hand, I certainly agree that patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels,doubly so when patriotism and support for war are equated, and I think we've really gone overboard on thanking our veterans and romanticizing them, and by extension, romanticizing war.

By coincidence, the narrator of your video also narrated a very good video I watched about Henry Kissinger. Maybe I'll comment in the Kissinger thread.
stanky

Post by stanky »

yeah, me too. was being hyperbolic.

still, it's irksome that war is always on our agenda and we seem to have little or no say about it.
in the U.S., that war machinery is basically sacred. It's beyond critique. Support the troops, no matter what. Vote matters little regarding this one, over-bearing aspect of what it means to be an American.

We're stuck with something indigestible. We need to dismantle our outdated endemic violence, in my opinion.
it's so gross.
and un-democratic.

i'd never heard that guy before. i see he has millions of subscribers. That's why, in a different thread, i expressed a hunch that Americans were hungry for change.It's based on the popularity of various podcasts that express views critical of our so called 'mainstream' news. The fringe view is no longer fringe, numbers-wise. And to them, our present contest for president is a sure sign that the system is fatally flawed. New approaches emerge?