Planet America

Start here
grayman

Re: Planet America

Post by grayman »

Admin wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:20 pm I keep making the comment here that the best PM we've had in my lifetime was Jim Bolger.

He led the country for 7 or 8 years and did absolutely nothing. The ideal leader for a country - he just let the place run itself and we've never been so well off.
Reminds me of the best managers I've had to deal with on the railroad. They would say, "Here's the work I need you to do during your shift. I'm going home. Don't do anything stupid that makes me have to come back and fill out paperwork".
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Hands-off management is always excellent. It's the pricks who micro-manage that always fuck up.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Second that TA.

I just fucking loathe it getting hired to do a job and then being told how to do it by some snot nosed empty headed manager wannabe.

"Listen boy, I've been doing this since before the better part of you dripped down your mama's leg so shut the fuck up before I'm forced by my love of humanity to staple your head to the wall."
grayman

Post by grayman »

sparks wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:39 pm

"Listen boy, I've been doing this since before the better part of you dripped down your mama's leg so shut the fuck up before I'm forced by my love of humanity to staple your head to the wall."
Prose at its finest.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Thanks GM. I stole the bit about the better part of him dripping down his mama's leg. Have forgotten where I first heard that one, but I do remembering that I'd use it myself someday!
stanky

Post by stanky »

I had to fire all my bosses.
Took a major pay cut, but it was worth it.
I saw some masons building new stuff with fake stone at the bottom and real brick above it.
I guess it's a fad. Looks ridiculous to me. Kind of gig i'd go hungry to turn down.
It's stunning how ugly modern construction is.
Adding fake 'charm' really drives it home.

Soon, no one will notice what things are made of.
Maybe 3-d printers and graphene will get us past this awkward phase.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I read that one earlier - it might not be a straightforward Florida Man story. Cutting trees on someone else's property is something I'd get cleared with the neighbour beforehand.

No doubt he'll get off, I'd have thought.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

Now that's one polite society we've got there.

And....it's conceivable he'll get off. Castle doctrine. The shooter was on his own property. The soon to be dead man was on the other guy's property, advancing on the shooter, and I assume holding a deadly weapon, (i.e. a chain saw. I don't remember if the story said anything about that).

To be honest, it sounds like there will be two less dumbasses wandering the Florida streets now. The dead guy didn't deserve to be shot, but he was being a real moron. You have a right to cut limbs if they are encroaching on your property, but it takes a real jerk to not notify the guy who owns the tree first. That's bad enough, but if you actually go onto the other guy's property without asking, and then tell the other guy to mind his own business, that's really bad. Not bad enough to deserve to die, but just not very nice.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

And once again, what in other countries would be merely a disagreement in America becomes a homicide.
If you're not on edge, you're taking up too much space.