Planet America

Start here
President Bush

Re: Planet America

Post by President Bush »

People clustered near a border fence to buy food ordered through delivery apps as they waited for the next leg of their journey.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/11/us/t ... hotos.html
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Clever entrepreneur there.
grayman

Post by grayman »

There's a reason I rarely eat at a fast-food restaurant...

https://www.tmz.com/2023/05/12/arbys-de ... louisiana/
grayman

Post by grayman »

Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

Too many guns.

Too many crazy people.

The result is too many crazy people with guns.

I wonder if an educational campaign might help. I can see PSA commercials saying, "No....it's not ok to shoot people just because you think they might be bad. That guy you saw on youtube saying what he would do if anyone ever (fill in the blank) is just an asshole shooting off his mouth. If you actually shoot someone, you are probably going to go to jail. Does that seem unfair? We don't care because you're a moron anyway."

Maybe the marketing department can think of a better way to phrase it.

My life was touched in a very, very, small way with American gun violence this week, but in a way that illustrates the kind of world we live in, at least here in America. We had a local community festival this weekend, Friday through Sunday. The biggest part was a carnival, with rides, food that induces heart attacks and/or diabetes just looking at it, and opportunities to win stuffed animals....which you want because....? Anyway, there were also various crafts, community groups, and that sort of thing. I was part of one of the community groups, but Saturday night, some (i.e. multiple) fights broke out. People said some of the people had guns. People were running wildly. Extra cops brought to the scene.

No one injured. No shots fired. No guns found, except a couple of toy guns. However, "out of an abundance of caution", the entire festival shut down.

I can't say I blame them for shutting it down. It's perfectly plausible to think that somebody might have had a gun, and someone might seek revenge and do a drive by shooting against the rivals who were fighting. This is America. It happens, literally, every day. (At least on average. We're easily on pace for one mass shooting per day here in the good old USA.)

It just pisses me off, though. A festival gets shut down due to a possibile shooting threat. Why is it that I live in a world where I have to think about the possibility of getting shot? Doesn't seem very much like freedom to me.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Meadmaker wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:57 pmMy life was touched in a very, very, small way with American gun violence this week, but in a way that illustrates the kind of world we live in, at least here in America.
Most Americans are shit scared by it all, it seems, and with probably very good reason:
Researchers at Boston University concluded that over the course of an American’s lifetime, the likelihood of knowing someone killed or injured by gunfire is nearly 100 percent.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mass- ... r-AA1b8rgj
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

Admin wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:49 pm
Meadmaker wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:57 pmMy life was touched in a very, very, small way with American gun violence this week, but in a way that illustrates the kind of world we live in, at least here in America.
Most Americans are shit scared by it all, it seems, and with probably very good reason:
Researchers at Boston University concluded that over the course of an American’s lifetime, the likelihood of knowing someone killed or injured by gunfire is nearly 100 percent.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mass- ... r-AA1b8rgj
I can't think of anyone I know killed or injured by gunfire, but there's still time.

And it depends on what you mean by "know". I've met some people that I know have been shot. Friends of friends. That sort of thing.

I have been held hostage briefly during a fast food robbery, but no shots fired. Just a gun pointed. And I've heard the shots that killed someone, way back in my tiny little home town. He was one of the people that was friend of friend, but I didn't really know him.

I did know one guy who was beaten to death with a baseball bat, but I didn't like him. That was back in the '70s. I think he would have been shot today. More guns now.
stanky

Post by stanky »

Maybe the p.r. people could sell the idea of the bat, as a gun substitute.
Thugs would rob convenience stores with bats. Sexy movie stars would have them. Shiny black ones; chrome plated ones; carbon; titanium...mass clobberers would kill a few school kids and then get shot by the cops. or, the cops would only have bats too.

Frankly, i'd like to see more rock throwing and less bullet strewing.
Hillbilly kids use to hunt squirrels and birds with rocks. They'd develop a good arm. Use the right stone. Bam! strrrrike!
With the bat folks nearby, that's almost baseball...america's pastime.
i hate the shooting. it has no elegance to me. it's loud and obnoxious and expensive. it makes a mess. it's not just dead people...windows get broken too.

it just sucks. too fucking stupid. pointless.
it's not about some righteous cause; it's not revolutionary or brave.
it's not even religious. it's just a big jerk off.
i guess it's empowering to the suicidaly depressed sadist to have an outlet of expression.
i hate it.
it's not even creative.
blehh garf ack

and fuck mean dogs too.
damnit
stanky

Post by stanky »

urp
President Bush

Post by President Bush »