Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vaccination and misinformation
(03-11-2019, 11:37 AM)stanky Wrote:  You get respect from the community that doesn't come with burger flipping.

I'd disagree with that, too. Caregivers rate lower on the social scale than parking wardens. They are undervalued, unappreciated and underpaid.

The jobs they do add nothing to the economy, because it's all funded by the government.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
(03-11-2019, 11:33 PM)The Atheist Wrote:  
(03-11-2019, 11:37 AM)stanky Wrote:  You get respect from the community that doesn't come with burger flipping.

I'd disagree with that, too. Caregivers rate lower on the social scale than parking wardens. They are undervalued, unappreciated and underpaid.

The jobs they do add nothing to the economy, because it's all funded by the government.

I concur.  Most unappreciated occupation all round.
Only those reliant on them truly value the best of them, and sadly fear the worst of them.

But that there are bad ones speaks of the poor pay rates associated with it.  
It's probably the one major occupation which slants the disparity between male and female wage and superannuation comparisons in Oz. 
Carer jobs are overwhelmingly filled by females so the low wages reflect on the gender gap pay rates overall.

It's a source of black amusement here that with both State and Federal elections looming everybody from every Party is promising to 'create' 5,000 new positions in 'health and aged care'.  (drop in the ocean!)

The amusement comes from the suggestions of where they are going to find these magical creatures.

There is no promise of wage rises.  People are leaving the industry in alarming droves due to the long hard hours and lousy pay.  Who the hell would be taking up these new positions?
?  
Presumably Asian immigrants used to working for peanuts?  Problem with that is that they are overly represented in the cases of abuse of patients.  They treat the job like taking out the garbage, cold as ice and with no feeling of connection wth the older patients.

They look after their own families diligently, but their culture doesn't always extend to everyone.

That said, I know 2 Asians in the 'game' who would take bullets for their 'oldies'.   And 3 Aussies who I wanted to punch out, it's a personality thing too of course,  but there is a cross cultural ingredient there that is not heartening for who will fill those new jobs.

I'm just a bit overly sensitive about the subject perhaps, too close to needing them. Confused
(03-11-2019, 11:33 PM)The Atheist Wrote:  

In civilize countries perhaps.

Many of the people my wife takes care of are/were funded out of pocket or through private insurance.
I wonder why people mostly suck at having fun?- stanky
Italy bans unvaccinated children from school
I wonder why people mostly suck at having fun?- stanky
(03-12-2019, 03:19 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Carer jobs are overwhelmingly filled by females so the low wages reflect on the gender gap pay rates overall.

And that will never change, because old women don't want some man dealing with their private parts, while blokes would also prefer a woman on the basis that it's more "mothering".

(03-12-2019, 03:19 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  It's a source of black amusement here that with both State and Federal elections looming everybody from every Party is promising to 'create' 5,000 new positions in 'health and aged care'.  (drop in the ocean!)

The amusement comes from the suggestions of where they are going to find these magical creatures.

Same thing happens here. Politicians hate the real world interfering with their plans. We were promised "30,000 new construction workers" for Auckland, to build our way out of the housing crisis.

I believe they have about 300 so far.

(03-12-2019, 03:19 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  I'm just a bit overly sensitive about the subject perhaps, too close to needing them. Confused

Could be that!

(03-12-2019, 10:04 AM)grayman Wrote:  In civilize countries perhaps.

Many of the people my wife takes care of are/were funded out of pocket or through private insurance.

Yes, USA has always stood out as the premier example of user pays. It allows poor people to just fuck off and die.

What the hell do oldies with no family & no funds do?
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Quote:TA wrote:

And that will never change, because old women don't want some man dealing with their private parts, while blokes would also prefer a woman on the basis that it's more "mothering".

There was a male carer hired where Mum was, he was part P.I. or maybe even Koori, and a lovely cheerful bloke.
I think they hired him for his muscles as much as his carer quals, he got the job of lifting the old dears in and out of baths and wheelchairs.

I chatted with him a few times I was with Mum and he seemed the perfect fit for the job to me.  But the old ladies detested him.  90% because he was male, and 10% because he was ... this is funny .. A foreigner!  No idea where they thought he was from.

Anyway they played up and told lies about him and their rels complained and he just chucked it in and went to work in the hospital system.   Silly old buggers threw out their best chance as he wasn't replaced!  They worked short handed after that and then the old dears whinged that no one came when they pressed the buzzer.  

When I first got back fractures I had to get home nursing visits to help me with showering and that was a bloke in his 30s.  One those nuggety fellas, built like weightlifters.  Didn't bother me in the slightest.  I felt safer with him there to catch me than some 5'4" girl built like a whippet.  

People don't think things through and seems the older they get the less thinking they do.
In my experience, if you're wiping someone's butt, that the kids don't wipe, that person on the butt-wiping end of the equation is cool with you.

At some point, on the long road to total humiliation, we all become more saint-like.

In our later days, we seem inclined to let go of petty bullshit.
I've wiped a shit-load of old butts.
None were concerned about my political affiliations.

They mostly hoped that someone would wipe the shit from their butts.
(03-12-2019, 02:42 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  People don't think things through and seems the older they get the less thinking they do.

Thanks to medical science keeping people alive a lot longer that situation is only going to get worse.