Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google it!
Watched a clip last night on the effects of the current famine in the Horn of Africa. 

I think you bastards are having a bad effect on me.  I'm getting lighter right every day.

The focus was on a school. (didn't catch if Ethiopia or Somalia, duzzen madder)
The small school is run entirely on donations from both local and foreign charities.
It's just a school house, not a boarding school but it now has 42 permanent residents.

Families who can't afford to feed their kids, and those who have to drive livestock further and further away to find feed for them simply drop their children off at school and never pick them up. 

Some there haven't seen their parents for 2 years.  The school feeds them as best it can, and lays thin matresses on the schoolroom floor for them at night.  The principal says they are at desperation point with not only not enough food but not enough mattresses to go round.

Familiar enough scene in some ways, often seen in coverage of these chronic famines in those areas,  except for one gobsmacking moment of tragic irony.

The children are quite well dressed.  They get heaps of freebie clothes it seems.  One child in particular was wearing a T-shirt that said it all.   It had an ad for Google on it!

Google.  The same Google which doesn't pay it's taxes here. Or anywhere it doesn't absolutely have to.
 That the UK finally pushed them into repaying at least some taxes which amount to around 3% of their billions in profits there proves they ain't a poor and struggling company.  None of their staff are sleeping hungry on a thin mattress on a concrete floor.

I wonder if anyone at Google thought it might be nice to throw in a few mill for food and mattresses rather than buy them T-shirts with their logo on them??  How far wrong would I be in suspecting that those T-shirts were written off to 'marketing expenses'?

You'd have to be embarrassed as a huge corporate when even bloody Rupert Murdoch makes a mild criticism of an overstepping of the greed line.

[Image: Rupe%20tweet%202016-02-02_092720_zpskj8jxwkq.jpg]

I'm afraid to look when those  famine stories come up now in case I see,  instead of a kid muching on a burger,  he's just standing there starving in a T-shirt with the MacDonald's logo on it!

While I'm rolling:  Has it ever occurred to those  wallowing in the War on Terror that these Somali kids are the very prey that terrorist groups harvest? 
That abandoned and starving kids are the very 'soldiers' that they are fighting?   Wouldn't it be cheaper to round them up and feed and educate them somewhere sheltered than leave them to their fate and then kill them later? 
 I really can't accept that there's any logic involved in that.  I do though realise the profit margins in the armaments industry, and I guess that trumps logic.
Jeezus, Di...

What's next?

Tofu?
I'd rather eat nettles. But thanks for the thought.[Image: lol-029.png]
(02-01-2016, 04:12 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  While I'm rolling:  Has it ever occurred to those  wallowing in the War on Terror that these Somali kids are the very prey that terrorist groups harvest? 
That abandoned and starving kids are the very 'soldiers' that they are fighting?   Wouldn't it be cheaper to round them up and feed and educate them somewhere sheltered than leave them to their fate and then kill them later? 
 I really can't accept that there's any logic involved in that.  I do though realise the profit margins in the armaments industry, and I guess that trumps logic.

Jesus, Di - you're spending far too much time around stanky and me!

It's absurdly obvious.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.