Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planet America!
Why USWNT star Megan Rapinoe doesn't sing the national anthem

Quote:Megan Rapinoe doesn’t sing the national anthem. This, to followers of soccer, is not news. Rapinoe hasn’t belted out the “Star Spangled Banner” since 2016. She no longer puts her hand over her heart. As she told Yahoo Sports last month, she probably never will again.

But with the U.S. women’s national team kicking off its 2019 World Cup campaign on Tuesday, and Rapinoe captaining the squad, her unflinching face and pursed lips became a story.
"This is what you get when you send your brains on holiday." - TA
Our soccer team is puzzling the bookies. They got beaten by Italy and then beat Brazil.

I only noticed because it's always such a relief when the Aussie team gets dropped from the finals and we all get a spell from the breathless bullshit from the sporting addicted types.

They're like evangelists in a way they just want everyone to be as excited about some miraculous athletic moron jumping higher, or whatever, as they get about it.
I worry about their heads sometimes.
(06-14-2019, 09:10 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Is it the wording in it TA?  "God defend New Zealand" or whatever??

Exactly that. Fuck the god shit. We did away with Parliamentary prayers and they can toss the idiot anthem out as well. I will not fucking partake in any ritual involving or invoking god/s, hence the silly Pommy bitch gets the same treatment.

US is because it's USA and I have no respect for the country at all. Used to, but that goes back a long way.

(06-14-2019, 09:10 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  That said,  the French one (can't spell it) is a hell of a tune.   We could do with one like that.

We play Marseillaise just for the hell of it sometimes. Superb piece.

(06-14-2019, 09:26 AM)grayman Wrote:  Why USWNT star Megan Rapinoe doesn't sing the national anthem

Good show. That link didn't work, but I looked it up.

I may have mentioned my total support (FWIW) of Kaepernick & others' protest.

Typical US Soccer banning her from the knee, although it probably gets her more attention this way. She's now my favourite female soccer player. (and the only one I know the name of)
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
There's some cause for alarm in the path we seem to be on these days.
I thought we had grown out of it.
Somehow, the internet has allowed a resurgence....in spite of all the new information we're privy to. It's marvelous.
Unless, emotionally, we're stuck in some dark age.
And the new technology can affirm those emotions, if that's what we seek.

All the copious evidence has become suspect. Photos can be photo-shopped. Very little is reliable. Or, rather, we now have access to mountains of unreliable data. It's a bit like an infection.

Here's an example from my personal world, from a mere hour ago:
My body guard came in, all upset, because he had just gotten a text from a friend that simply said "Fuck you, John!"
(John is not his real name.)

He couldn't imagine why Fred (not his real name) had sent this text. he asked if I knew anything about why Fred was mad at him. Nope.

Turns out, the text came from Fred's ex. She had his password. She wasn't happy with the way they broke up. So she wanted to spew some shit to fuck with him. (Let's call her Judy.)

anyway, holy shit. This sort of deception wasn't possible in the olden days.

And on the world stage, a bunch of contrary news reports about an incident in the M.E. waters, wherein a Japanese oil tanker had been attacked. It's serious shit. But the take away is that we don't know what really happened. And we have some cause for suspicion, regarding nefarious agendas and government deceptions.

If we can't be certain what happened, but we are told to be alarmed by it, we open the opportunity for opposing opinions to mount.
And we can find ample verification for the version that most appeals to our emotional state....via the wonders of the internet.

Hot to trot.

"We should bomb the shit out of them!" "Hell, yeah!"

But who, again, do we bomb the shit out of?

(btw, if you dig into this story a bit, there's even an insurance company angle on it, which is sadly hilarious. The damage the Japanese oil tankers received aren't covered by the insurance company if they occurred during an act of war. They'll pay for the repairs if a part breaks under warranty, or even if you smash into something unforseen, and the captain wasn't drunk. But if your oil tanker gets shot by a torpedo, you're on your own with the repair costs.)

Never mind that our last several wars have been sparked by false premises.
There's no way that would ever happen again.

We should have no concern that the manufacturers of weapons systems have a strong incentive to make and sell weapons...and that they have the power to influence elections and the media.

Funny, i'm not even paranoid.
It's more like i hold these truths to be self-evident.

How to intervene, on behalf of humanity at large?
Fuck if i know.

The best i can do is write about the problem
Possibly diffuse some of the heat of the 'hot to trot' sensibility.

Long ago, i talked a crazy guy out of killing his wife. He was serious about it, too. Showed me the pistol.
And i talked him out of it. Took some time and effort too.

Anyway, we aren't necessarily powerless.
(06-14-2019, 08:01 PM)stanky Wrote:  There's some cause for alarm in the path we seem to be on these days.
I thought we had grown out of it.
Somehow, the internet has allowed a resurgence....in spite of all the new information we're privy to. It's marvelous.
I'm sure someone recently suggested that the internet was the worst thing ever.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
New state ballad honors 20th Maine, despite pro-Confederate objections

Quote:They may represent a minority position, but the statements of these Republicans show just how far the Myth of the Lost Cause, a systematic effort to rehabilitate the racist legacy of the Confederacy, has spread. These objections were raised in Maine, which contributed the largest number of Union soldiers in proportion to its population of any state.
"This is what you get when you send your brains on holiday." - TA
Near and dear to me.
Spent 15 years in Gettysburg; rode my bike through the battlefield almost endlessly; hung out especially at Little Round Top.
I'm drenched in that place. It's hard to fathom that battle. It came down to hand to hand combat.

Sometimes i wish that the "South's gonna rise again" contingent had their wish. That they were a separate nation, still trying to uphold the values of slavery in this day and age. What a joke. Go ahead...make the Confederacy great again.

Or please shut the fuck up. Maybe try to get with the 21st century.