Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pandemic Thread
Quote:I'm more than  encouraged by the timeline of omicron, which apparently dates back two months. If that's the case, then you would have expected hospitals to notice before the sheer number of positives tipped them off.

That occurred to me too, the media would have been onto a sudden surge of people dropping into cemetaries like seagulls on a chip if it had been anything too dire.
-------------
How funny is it that they chose the Greek alphabet without noticing that one of the letters is Xi???
So what did they do??  Just skipped Xi and called it Omicron.
There would be an extra layer of irony if Xi's name was left off so as not to upset the poor diddums, and then it turned out to be the best one??
You couldn't make this stuff up!
(11-29-2021, 03:02 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  That occurred to me too, the media would have been onto a sudden surge of people dropping into cemetaries like seagulls on a chip if it had been anything too dire.

Oooh, update on that - I see a couple of your universities have been reading my posts:

Quote:“We don’t know yet, but there are a few clues coming out that it may be less virulent,” says University of Melbourne epidemiologist Tony Blakely.

“Whilst it is all a bit nerve-racking at the moment, it might work out to our advantage.”

Deakin University epidemiologist Catherine Bennett, while similarly circumspect, says the evidence so far gives cause for optimism.

Covid-19: Could Omicron help slay the Delta beast?

This is fascinating shit, living through one of the strangest times in human history.

Pity we won't learn any lessons from it.

Stanky - it's almost like Gaia giving us a warning.

Dumb bitch should know better by now.

(11-29-2021, 03:02 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  How funny is it that they chose the Greek alphabet without noticing that one of the letters is Xi???
So what did they do??  Just skipped Xi and called it Omicron.
There would be an extra layer of irony if Xi's name was left off so as not to upset the poor diddums, and then it turned out to be the best one??
You couldn't make this stuff up!

Di, that's exactly what happened, you're not making it up.

When mu was named I raised at the time I bet they didn't touch xi with a barge pole. I knew they'd miss nu, because as a name, they knew nu was too close to new for something brand nu. I've got a post somewhere here or at ISF saying exactly that, so I can prove it.

The WHO's official position is that "Xi" is a common surname.

I call bullshit on that: According to data from the Ministry of Public Security in February, the Chinese president’s surname is the 296th most common family name in the country.

The WHO is pandering to one of the worst despots on the planet.

Ho hum. Didn't see that one coming.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/29/health/omicron-covid-mutation-epistasis.html
Ask not what is the problem but, rather, where is the lesion.
Damn Jew York Times - it's paywalled, but the headline gives me the gist of it. The number of mutations is likely to cause instability.

As good a speculation as any right now.

Unsurprisingly, Israel, thanks to its very close connection to South Africa, has started making claims about omicron.

Quote:Later in the evening, a report by Channel 12 said the Pfizer vaccine is just slightly less effective in preventing infection with Omicron than with Delta – 90% as opposed to 95% – while it is as effective – around 93% – in preventing serious symptoms at least for those vaccinated with a booster.

I'll take 93% any day.

More interestingly:

Quote:At the same time, those not inoculated have a 2.4 times greater chance of developing serious symptoms, a significant figure.

No fucking shit!

That would give it a mortality rate around 1.5%, which is very high.

Very early analysis, not verified and potentially a load of crap, but it fits what we know.

https://www.jpost.com/health-and-wellness/coronavirus/covid-1st-data-about-vaccine-efficacy-against-omicron-expected-tuesday-687392
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Doesn't bode well for the Goldilocks variant theory, unfortunately.
(12-01-2021, 10:32 AM)The Atheist Wrote:  Damn Jew York Times - it's paywalled, but the headline gives me the gist of it. The number of mutations is likely to cause instability.

ah, here's most of it, short article...

[Image: author-apoorva-mandavilli-thumbLarge-v3.png]
By Apoorva Mandavilli
  • Nov. 29, 2021

The Omicron variant of the coronavirus has alarmed many scientists because of the sheer number of genetic mutations it carries — about 50 in all, including at least 26 that are unique to it. But more does not necessarily mean worse: Mutations sometimes work together to make a virus more fearsome, but they may also cancel one another out.

“In principle, mutations can also work against each other,” said Jesse Bloom, an evolutionary biologist at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle. “However, in this case evolutionary selection is more likely to lead to the spread of a new variant with favorable than unfavorable combinations of mutations.”

Still, this phenomenon, called epistasis, is why scientists are reluctant to speculate on Omicron’s attributes, even though individual mutations in the variant are associated with greater transmissibility or with an ability to dodge the body’s immune defenses.

“It is important to get a sense of the full virus,” said Penny Moore, a virologist at the National Institute for Communicable Diseases in South Africa.

Dr. Moore’s team is among dozens worldwide trying to understand whether current vaccines will work against Omicron. The researchers are creating artificial versions of the virus that contain all of Omicron’s mutations, rather than making judgments based on a subset of mutations.

It’s a lesson researchers learned last year, when the Beta variant emerged in South Africa. They estimated that variant’s ability to evade immunity based on one particular mutation, E484K. But Beta also had two other mutations that turned out to affect sensitivity to vaccines.

“The combination of those three mutations was more resistance than a virus that contained only E484K,” Dr. Moore said. Studying the single mutation “turned out to be misleading.”

Omicron carries a mutation called N501Y, which is thought to allow the virus to bind to human cells more tightly. This mutation was also present in the Alpha variant and was linked to its contagiousness.

“Nonetheless, it ended up being Delta, which doesn’t have that particular mutation, that was more even more transmissible than Alpha,” Dr. Bloom said. “That’s because Delta had other mutations that enhance transmissibility.”
Ask not what is the problem but, rather, where is the lesion.
Which goes to show how little we know about viruses.

Probably should have spent more time in the microbiology than the nuke labs.
Had a chuckle when it was pointed out, gasp horror, that every single one of those found to be infected with Omicron variant in Oz is vaccinated!!

Oooo waaah said nobody, but it was considered necessary to explain that the reason for that is that 'every single one' arrived on a plane and only the fully vaxxed are allowed to fly in.
[Image: FFpczMnVUAYt4Ds?format=jpg&name=small]
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there..."
Haha! Accurate to a fault.