Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swift response.
(03-02-2021, 02:32 PM)stanky Wrote:  
(03-02-2021, 12:27 PM)The Atheist Wrote:  Shit, I nearly forgot this one: Dr Seuss removed from shelves due to racism: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/six-dr-seuss-books-pulled-from-publication-over-racist-imagery/6FGYMS63AFSXPYFWAR7I7X6TLU/

I'm so infested with Dr. Seuss books.
How do I flush them from my early brain?

btw, there's some Dr. Seuss art that wasn't for kid's books. It's pretty great stuff, though quite a lot darker than his famous books.
It's worth a look.

strange guy.

(My favorite architect.)

I've been to Mulberry Street.

Seriously, I lived in a section of Springfield, Mass. and they have a portion of their museum quadrangle dedicated to him.

[Image: activities706.jpg]
"The moose defies domestication." *
* Some restrictions may apply.
~ stanky
They'd better tear that sculpture down.

Now that we know maths and Dr Seuss are racist, I think it's time to just give up.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
I'm waiting for the Scientific fraternity to be forced into changing the names of Dark matter and Black holes.
(03-02-2021, 04:58 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  I'm waiting for the Scientific fraternity to be forced into changing the names of Dark matter and Black holes.

Good point! White stars are nice and benign - that dark shit is bad.

How about "unseen matter" and "inverse light holes"?

Gotta appease the loons.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Anti-matter reminds me of the Anti-Christ.
Negative numbers are evil.
(That's why I promote the wholesome Kelvin scale.)

Here's a deeper dive into Dr Seuss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WSk86uIx2E&ab_channel=SolarSands

Jump ahead to 5 minutes to see his "Midnight Paintings", which weren't to be released until after his death.
They are quite remarkable. Radically creative; psychedelic, even.

Grayman should take pride in that Mulberry Street was the doctor's first kid's book.

(He was also a political cartoonist in his early career.)

The Mr. Potato Head scandal really wrankles my ass. That was one of our first toys. We used real potatoes. An when we were done poking silly faces on to them, they were cooked and eaten.

The real scandal was when Mr. Potato Head became a plastic toy. It was no longer a potato. It had turned to shit. Offensive to the Irish.
The gender wasn't an issue. The shitty plastic and the higher price was the issue. Or, should have been.
(03-02-2021, 07:10 PM)stanky Wrote:  Jump ahead to 5 minutes to see his "Midnight Paintings", which weren't to be released until after his death.
They are quite remarkable. Radically creative; psychedelic, even.

I wonder if he ever met Dali - two similar minds, I think, but Dali was a right wanker.
I must be the only one with zero interest in Seuss stuff. Dont recall him as a kid at all.

The 'secret' art looks to be a cross between Dali and Escher.
I'm with you Di. Don't care about Seuss, and never did. The penguins at Cathoholic school wouldn't have it.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
(03-03-2021, 06:06 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  I must be the only one with zero interest in Seuss stuff.  Dont recall him as a kid at all.

The 'secret' art looks to be a cross between Dali and Escher.

He didn't have any impact at all down our end of the planet, because I never knew any of it until high school English - we were never given his books as kids.

Some of the books are stupendously good, though. The Lorax inspires respect for nature long before IPCC was ever considered, and I Had Trouble Getting to Solla Sollew is one of the best resources you'll ever find about perseverance and accepting the things you can't change.
Check out his kid's book (late in his career) about the 'butter battle'.
It was one of the sanest critiques of war culture ever written.
And written for kids.

The Dr. was an anti-fascist. He made a few drawings that look racist by today's standards.
Fuck that...ever see R. Crumb's brilliant racist stuff?
Was he racist? Of course not.

But if you check out his cartoon character, "Angel Food McSpade" you might find offense in it.

Fringe artists with balls have always been my favorites.
Doug Stanhope, for instance, went off on Louis CK being cancelled for masturbating in front of women (with their permission).
Doug was pissed off that he was getting no press for being far more disgusting. (He's a good guy, btw)
He simply wasn't famous enough to get cancelled.
And he's miffed about it.

(Stanhope, btw, might be the smartest comedian of all time.)