Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PNG China's guinea pigs?
This is just surfacing and has been hard to pin down the correct version as half the sites are paywalled and the written word and spoken one on TV are telling different stories.

I first heard it posited as "China is experimenting with Covid vaccine on PNG miners."

Well, maybe, but this version indicates that the miners are Chinese FIFO workers.

Popcorn may be needed while they get this one straight, because if they're using PNG people to trial their vaccine then it's a UN concern isn't it?

Bad enough that they "according to one source" are telling the workers no jab no job.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/covid-19-china-vaccinated-workers-papua-new-guinea-mine-13038176

There has been a spike of new cases in PNG lately so of course being we're a bit antsy about China we'll no doubt be more suspicious that they're still exporting their bloody Wuflu.

PNG is in no state to handle a pandemic, poor bastards won't stand a chance.

Have you heard anything about it TA?
(08-20-2020, 09:34 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Have you heard anything about it TA?

No, but since it was only Chinese workers, I don't have a problem with it.

The real story on Papua is the other side of the island.

PNG's best defence against Covid is the same as sub-Saharan Africa - a young population that will ensure a mild death and harm rate. Those filthy fucking Indonesians will kill ten times more West Papuans than Covid kills across the whole island.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Hope they'll fare okay, have a bit of a soft spot for the Papuans, heard a lot of respect and good tales about their assistance in WWII. We owe them.
Do they need any help with radio stations?
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
They need help with just about everything up there, it's still pretty "wild" on the world scale.

The geography and the people. Still a volatile 'tribal' aspect to them but when they're not 'stressed' the best of people.
They've had some dodgy governments that have done them no favours but ain't that the way it goes?

The half of the island run by Indonesia is little short of a killing ground that the world overlooks, partly because there's not much to be done without concerted 'forceful' action and a stoush with Indo is the last thing we need at the moment so we're not starting that one. We went in for Timor decades ago, saved half of it from Indo but we weren't so reliant on Indo's trade back then.

We're already in the shit with China, taking on the rest of our near Asian neighbours is a big ask.

TA has been following it closer than I have, we hear very little from up there lately.
Almost certainly, but they don't have any money.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.