Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cargo Cults
I think these strange cults, some of them still active on obscure islands of Melanesia, go a long way in explaining some of the cult-like aspects of American politics.
This video does a fair job of explaining cargo cults, although it begins by describing a strange Christian cult in NZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFpKnHpQMU8
tl;dnw.

So, humans believe weird shit. Is there any other point besides that?
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
Possibly.

I didn't know about cargo cults myself.
If you find the time, you might find it amusing.
The crudeness of the theology, which revolves around a lust for Western technological magic, is different than the usual stone age thinking.
In a way, it exaggerates and exposes the American dream.

Waiting for Jesus or John Frum are quite similar.
(07-25-2020, 05:47 AM)stanky Wrote:  This video does a fair job of explaining cargo cults, although it begins by describing a strange Christian cult in NZ.

Ah, the old faithful Gloriavale

Unsurprisingly, presently under investigation for child sex abuse.

Seems to be a common theme among the weirdos. Set up cult. fuck children.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Shamefully, I'd never heard of Gloriavale before today....even though I've visited some American cults.
It's stunning what Americans don't know about the rest of the world.
No shame in that - I'd say at least half of New Zealanders have no idea about it.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
I find cults rather fascinating. Members often take on an altered state, unique to that cult. Don't want to join one; don't want to start one, but man...you meet some strange people out in the woods.
I guess by definition, a cult is necessarily small.
But the whole world has a cult-like nature.
Look at the crazy shit we do; all the pointless ritual, and it passes as rational to the whole.
It helps to solidify that confidence if you have a small group of serious whacko's to point to.

I doubt they'd have me, but i could see joining a cargo cult.
Did you see the beaches on that island? Damn.
(07-25-2020, 08:06 PM)stanky Wrote:  Don't want to join one; don't want to start one, but man...you meet some strange people out in the woods.

I could start one.

Members would need to be blondes aged 25-50, with BMI under 30 and tits B cup or smaller. The uniforms would be the exact opposite of Gloriavale, designed to show maximum flesh.

Grrrr!
TA has excellent taste!
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
Joke i heard today:

After making love, Judy asks Jack "Do you have any fantasies?"

Jack says "Yeah...i want you to dress up as a nurse."
Judy says "OOH, you naughty boy! And what would you want the nurse to do?"

"I want her to say "You have health insurance."