Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Technology: The good; the bad; and the evil:
A whole lot of modern technology really pisses me off.
It's like genius engineers were hired to discover ways to fuck up old technologies that worked great, to suck more bucks from it....in the service of their evil masters.

In the late 60's, I lived in Boston. You could listen to wbcn, for free.
All you needed was a ten dollar radio, and it would last 50 years.
That station, like many others, played whole albums of cutting edge music.
And it was free.
You only had to have a cheap radio...that would last for decades.
Jump ahead...
Now we have an ipod. We have to pay a monthly bill for the service...and it doesn't work for shit.
It's the worst technology i've ever had to endure....and, at a large cost.
The volume changes radically; they stuff adds in there, in spite of the monthly bills...it's a huge backward step.
Pandora absolutely sucks.
I give up on it. That's how bad it sucks.

How i miss the radio.
It was great; it was free, and the device you needed was cheap...and pretty much lasted forever.
The same was true for TV.

So, we figured out a way to trash a fairly elegant technology, for the sake of money.
We replaced something that worked very well, from 50 years ago, with something that sucks...horribly...and costs a lot...and we should be proud about it?

I'm so pissed off about this.

I'm not anti-tech in the least.
But i fucking hate this new level of evil tech.

It has one intent:
Making max money.

It fucking sucks, people...to the max.

The music is so much lamer...and you have to pay out the ass for it.
The fidelity is also lame as fuck.

Way to go, technology.
You figured out how to make more money, while delivering shit.

A monster step backwards.

eat shit and die, basically.

Twice a day, our internet service craps out. it's just how it is.
and the sound is super shitty, compared to the olden days.

And we get a monthly bill.

This fucking sucks.
Have a joint and chill stank.

It's not the technology: It's what it's being used for and by whom.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4irXQhgMqg
Ask not what is the problem but, rather, where is the lesion.
(07-08-2020, 04:53 PM)stanky Wrote:  A whole lot of modern technology really pisses me off.

You're just using it wrong... keep reading.

(07-08-2020, 07:02 PM)sparks Wrote:  It's not the technology:  It's what it's being used for and by whom.

The tech is great, and the best it's ever been.

In the 1970s, if I wanted to listen to a particular song, I'd have to pay an absurdly large amount for the record, or make a shitty tape recording off someone else's copy.

In the 1980s, we'd got as far as being able to make tapes direct off vinyl. Quality average.

By the '90s, we could copy onto CD.

In the 2000s, we could copy onto DVD and get the video as well. Both CD & DVD still required purchase of the blanks and you had to know someone with a copy of the actual record.

Since the mid-2000s, we can copy HD video for absolutely nothing. I have thousands of videos stored on my PC and can set up playlists to last all day and it costs me $0.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
I don't want to argue with you mate....but that's utterly delusional crap.
I'm pretty sure i have a handle on music.

And it has turned to shit.

Unless it's some thing live.
Genres come and go.

But peeps are still making great Jazz recordings and the same goes for Classical.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
(07-08-2020, 09:17 PM)stanky Wrote:  I don't want to argue with you mate....but that's utterly delusional crap.
I'm pretty sure i have a handle on music.

Your post, and the thread title are about the technology. It's in the tech section, which would be right for tech issues, and that's what I responded to. Not anywhere did I mention anything about music, other than recording it. You were talking about listening to it, and even mentioned you'd stopped using the iPod.

You don't need to listen to new music on new technology, and that's all I was telling you - how to listen to your ideal brand of music for free. You needn't have any music made this entire century, but you could have thousands of songs downloaded to use as and when you like.

At any other forum, I'd accuse you of an enormous goalpost shift.

(07-08-2020, 09:17 PM)stanky Wrote:  And it has turned to shit.

I think the exact opposite, but different people have different tastes in music. I even knew a TV music presenter in the '80s who would swear black and blue that jazz proved the existence of Satan. There's some amazing music being produced these days, but most of the good stuff is on indie labels that ordinary radio stations don't play, so it could be that you're listening in the wrong places.

Either way, you're welcome to your musical opinion - I was simply letting you know about your tech issues, which are self-inflicted.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.