Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pandemic
Since we don't have a thread dedicated to this horseshit, here we go.

And here's  your linky:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/icu-beds-in-short-supply-across-florida-as-state-struggles-with-coronavirus-spike/ar-BB15G4qS?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

Since we're opening things back up, Florida is seeing a spike in cases.  Who'da thunk that?  Goddamned idiots.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
It's all entirely predictable, mate. I said a couple of months back that USA was on track for the worst of both worlds - spending trillions and not making any difference to the final death toll.

The place I'm keeping my eye on is Europe - they've re-opened the borders and tourist spots, so I'll be very interested to see if they start on the same path.

South America gave up on it and are facing a nightmare scenario, while Africa has figured out they don't have the money, so are letting it go. Hopefully, the fact that the average age across Africa is about 12 will help them keep the death rate down, because if it starts to hit vulnerable populations, there will be carnage.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Read this morning that it's coming back strong in lots of areas of Umerca. And unless other countries are following SKs lead, it will be showing up again there too.

We ain't outta the woods on this one yet, not by a long shot.

We be fucked.
No question it's hitting states that eased too early, so I certainly expect Europe to go the same way.

If you're looking for good news, there are two pieces:

Type O blood reduces your chances of severe effects from Covid
Vitamin D is now almost certainly providing protection
It's also almost certain that infection counts are under by about 90%, so if you want the true picture, multiply the case numbers by 10
There is now one drug that will reduce your chances of dying by ~20%

Accordingly, be Type O and take cod-liver oil caps, or other D supplement - and keep taking them - and if you get it, make sure your doctor knows to give you dexamethasone if you get really crook with it.

If you're looking for bad news, there's a lot more than good, unfortunately:

Type A blood increases your chances of severe effects
The virus has mutated into a more virulent form
The highest 8 days for new infections worldwide have all occurred in the past 10 days
Deaths are under-counted by enormous margins
Brazil, Indonesia and India are all going nuclear for infections and deaths
Africa has given up the fight and are hoping like fuck the youth of their populations will ensure a non-apocaleptic result
Malnutrition has been shown to be a driver of deaths in young people, with Indonesian child deaths alarmingly high
We are no more than 10% of the way through the pandemic

Still, keep in mind, the chances of dying of Covid are not much more than 1% if you're under 65. Not great odds, but a lot better than the 15%+ mortality rate above 80.

And a prediction: Florida will run out of coffins.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
I'm type A+.

And the only one at work wearing a mask.

Fuck.
"when you think you've lost everything... you find out you can always lose a little bit more." - President Bush
(06-19-2020, 02:32 PM)grayman Wrote:  I'm type A+.

And the only one at work wearing a mask.

Fuck.

As long as you don't have to share a confined space with anyone, you should be fine. It's a weird fucking virus and isn't as easy to catch as lots of things.
Type O here. Universal donor. Wonder how long it'll be before they lock us down again.
(06-19-2020, 05:53 PM)sparks Wrote:  Type O here.  Universal donor.  Wonder how long it'll be before they lock us down again.

I don't see it happening in USA.

Experience across the world shows you get one shot to stamp the fucker down, and USA, UK, Brazil & Russia all missed it. India & few others, too.

In USA, I don't see any appetite for further lockdows, driven by the president, exactly as in Brazil, so I expect those two to stay at the top pf cases and deaths. India should probably be there too, but nobody knows what's going on there.

Everey developed country managed to get infections down by 90%, except UK & USA. USA never dropped by more than 20% and now it's on the way up again, with the 8th-highest daily total being yesterday.

Looooong way to go.
It's morning and still in the middle of my first cup of coffee, so I'm being too lazy to look up the information germane to this, but I wonder: Will I ever get to use my passport again in a normal fashion? Or will my country's citizens not be permitted entrance to some nations due to the negligence of our government and some of our less rational thinking citizenry?
"when you think you've lost everything... you find out you can always lose a little bit more." - President Bush
Trump's campaign rally in Tulsa, OK should be nicely educational.
He wants it crowded. No masks. Despite uptick of infections in that city.

People will die for Trump.
and because of him.