Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum down!
Desert sand is definitely useless. Middle East countries have to import sand for concrete.
Beach sand requires lots of cleaning, but worse is the erosion caused by mining it, and the destruction of valuable beach front property.
Their is a black market for sand, with turf wars and land pirates.
It's hard to fathom the global concrete pouring...or that suitable sand is not an endless resource, by any means.

Anyway, the book "Sand" is a real page turner. Not sure you'd even need to be a nerd to enjoy it.
On the subject of sand....

Auckland City arranged for thousands of tonnes of sand to be placed at Orewa Beach last week, because it gets swept away by winter weather.

Two days after doing it, a storm came along and washed it all away.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/122522054/cliff-up-to-18m-high-forms-on-aucklands-rewa-beach-after-stormy-weather
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Heh heh, some clever planning evident there.
There have been some heart in mouth moments on the Central coast here too with some beach front mansions showing their foundations dangling in space. diddums.
Build on a sand dune then whine when the storm surge comes in? yeah, go for that.

My favourite Little Beach in the world does that vanishing sand thing in cyclone season. That's it's name Little Beach, unimaginative for such a pretty place.

It's along the South side of a smallish tidal river mouth. There's a headland at the seaward end which captures the sand that the ocean waves bring in. But when the river floods it washes all the sand back out to sea and leaves just jagged red rocks there.

After a few weeks the sand all comes back in again and life goes on. Fabulous place to fish from, catch ocean and river fish following the tides in and out.

But at least there's no money involved, except a few weeks loss to the nearby caravan park, but even so, the campers can go over the dunes to the main beach, it never changes.
Sorry about that!

All fixed now.

The problem with having the domain and hosting at different places and it completely slipped my mind.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Thank Christ!

I had assumed that the C.I.A. was censoring me again.
(Never hurts to be extra paranoid.)
Nah, just a simple forgot to pay the power bill! Or, in this case, the domain renewal.