Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum down!
(05-31-2020, 09:11 AM)grayman Wrote:  Has anyone tried unplugging the country and plugging it back in again?

Brilliant idea!!

If only Grayman!  if only... oh wait ... COVID19 has pretty much done that.  Here anyway.  

We're having a whole rethink about what's being done and how and on track to change a few things while the normal program bugs are down.

An oft quoted political term used here is  "Never let a crisis go to waste."  People are in the zone between nostalgia for the old life and trepidation about the new whlch is a fine time to hone things a bit and focus on what is rattling in the gear box while the motor is stopped.  

We're checking the brakes too, and the fuel lines.   We're in the position of having 3 major disaster investigations up and running.  One   for Drought recovery and adaptation. One for handling fighting bush fires, and steps for prevention. and One, now split into 5 separate committees with expertise in different aspects of Economic management and recovery.   Okay then, 8 of them in total.

The 'reboot' holds some hope of streamlining a seriously constipated system.  The 'Economic Recovery' committees will be a mix of all sides of politics, unions,  those who work in the fields being focused upon,  and those who are effected by the current rules.  

Sounds good, but when the Unions and the Corporates and the Pollies are all for doing it there's probably not much chance of any really good ideas surviving the 'negotiations'.    
They all promise to look at it pragmatically and fairly,  but who would ever believe that?

Some smart ideas are being thrown out, but whether they'll be allowed to 'fix' what's broke is another matter.

We've only got a short time before the old ways kick in again and we'll have to keep the motor running, they need to think fast, and act fast.  Luckily Scomo is the bloke to keep them on their toes.  Better than anyone else on the horizon anyway.  But it's still a herding cats situation so who knows how it will go?   At least we're having a try at it.

No sign of taking advantage of a crisis to make changes in other places that I can see. (Except for China!)

The other nations all seem concentrated on getting back to doing what they were all pissed off about before it happened.   Not much future in that.

(05-31-2020, 11:44 AM)sparks Wrote:  No.  I just think you're over reacting.  Cutting down on your news consumption would help.  Out here to Orygun, peeps are protesting, some are being arrested and curfews have been put in place.  The notion that the cops and protesters are about to set fire to my trailer and by proxy, civilization is a bit over the top.  This country has seen worse:  Civil rights and as you well know, Vietnam.

Cutting down on your news consumption would help ... yessss!  it probably would.     So would cutting down on social media absorption.   Confused UndecidedSad

Just to prove that this excuse to bust up and burn stuff has little to do race or outrage at cops, they're playing up in London and using poor bloody George as their excuse.   What the fuck does it have to do with life in London??

If anything it's a trivialisation of what happened to him.  It's been hijacked as an excuse for activists to practice their skills.  Apparently the ANTIFA 'generals' are busy flitting from city to city to organise the troops.

That ain't a protest, that's political activism.
(05-31-2020, 07:08 PM)sparks Wrote:  Buildings are set on fire and burning.  Cops are beating the shit out of the citizenry and worse, murdering them in the fucking streets.  And the bankstahs and 1 percenters are still going to the bank every fucking day at our expense.

Nothing to see here.  Move along.

You want to know something really fucking absurd?

There was a protest today with about 4000 people, demanding justice for the dead dude.

In New Zealand. 10,000 km from the scene, in a country with so few ties to America we probably count as their least-friendly "friend".

That's it, the world is officially fucked.

(05-31-2020, 10:22 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  
(05-31-2020, 09:11 AM)grayman Wrote:  Has anyone tried unplugging the country and plugging it back in again?

Brilliant idea!!

We need to upgrade that to the world, not just America.

(05-31-2020, 10:22 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  The 'reboot' holds some hope of streamlining a seriously constipated system.  The 'Economic Recovery' committees will be a mix of all sides of politics, unions,  those who work in the fields being focused upon,  and those who are effected by the current rules.

Yeah, let's have a committee! Let's put people who hate each other's guts together and get them to agree on something...

I'd have to say, it's another thing our government is getting right. For a limited time, they've removed all red tape to the extent that you can build a garage or add rooms to your house without any paperwork at all. Bigger jobs go to a one-man arbiter, whose main task is to greenlight projects aimed at economic recovery. 

(05-31-2020, 10:22 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:   Luckily Scomo is the bloke to keep them on their toes.  Better than anyone else on the horizon anyway.  But it's still a herding cats situation so who knows how it will go?   At least we're having a try at it.

certainly smacks of a marketing guy's work - set up a committee guaranteed to come up with things they can't agree on, pick which ones he likes and go for it.

If they work, he's an even bigger hero, if they don't, he's got ready-made blame.

(05-31-2020, 10:22 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  It's been hijacked as an excuse for activists to practice their skills.

And best of all, it's almost certain to play right into the party of law & order's hands. That's what fucks me off so much about the left - they set themselves up as patsies and let it happen.

Fucking morons.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
The damned States are holding onto the red tape here, not the Feds, same with the Green tape.

Our setup is more complicated than yours, NZ has less cats to herd. No State Emperors in the mix.

Scomo's got his work cut out to extract any concessions related to State revenue off them.

Paul Keating once said "Never get between a State Premier and a money pot."

Would you believe they even have a Payroll Tax going?? Yep they tax businesses on the number of employees they have on the books. So what do you reckon businesses do? They don't hire as many people as they could or would have as the taxes amount to a year's wages for an extra employee if they go over the 'bracket'. That I believe (could be wrong though) was a Labor Government brainfart, and they wonder why the unemployment rate didn't drop. doh.

I think that one is on Scomo's hit list but good luck getting the States to loosen their grip on it .. or on stamp duty for new home buyers, or a lot of other rorts they tax us on separate from Federal taxes.

We should call this the Untied States of Oz.
(06-01-2020, 03:16 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Our setup is more complicated than yours, NZ has less cats to herd.  No State Emperors in the mix.

I've been saying for decades how Australia looked at political systems around the world to identify the best and worst.

Then, instead of going with a mix of the best, you decided to use all of the worst options in one go.

Too late now.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Yes it is. There was animated mumbling about 20 years ago about cutting the 3 levels of government back to 2.

But that all got lost in the melee of arguing which level should go. The obvious one was the States leaving local Councils and the Feds but the fightback by the States was furious.

As is evident now, it doesn't take much to split the country into "our State is better than yours" mode.

Thank Christ there's only 25 million of us, imagine what we'd be like with America's population.
glad i'm not in a city now.
Trump calling for the army to come in and arrest protesters and put them in jail for 10 years.
Shouldn't/wouldn't they do 10 years for burning down buildings whether the army is involved or not?

I think we're getting a bit loose with the term 'protestor'. Protesters walk up the street carrying silly signs and chanting unintelligible slogans. These are looters and arsonists. Please don't insult the protesters.
Trump used the word "protesters".

He's already used tear gas to disperse peaceful protest for his bible shot.
(06-02-2020, 07:19 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Shouldn't/wouldn't they do 10 years for burning down buildings whether the army is involved or not?

I think we're getting a bit loose with the term 'protestor'.  Protesters walk up the street carrying silly signs and chanting unintelligible slogans.  These are looters and arsonists.    Please don't insult the protesters.

You need to remember that well over 90% of the protestors are peaceful - it's only a few doing the looting.

While the abuses by cops just keep rising...

Also, do check out the Washington church protest Stanky mentioned: https://www.npr.org/2020/06/01/867532070/trumps-unannounced-church-visit-angers-church-officials
What a chicken shit ass kisser is our dear POTUS. And that isn't half enough good enough to describe this mess of genetic goat-fuckery. This fat little hooker fucking liar should be shot to death and on sight. Someone, please, gut this motherfucker.

This POTUS is a cancer on the world and it's fucking well time to give it a severe radiation treatment.

And yet, his dumb assed peeps still buy into his cancerous rhetoric.

Amazing.

In fact, I never thought I'd see this day. I've lived too fucking long.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.