Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Train Stuff
I can see why it didn't.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
I have my pilot certificate and locomotive engineer license. I am ready to give it a go.
"The moose defies domestication."
~ stanky
Fully credentialled to multitask it Grayman. I'll see if I can find you one to take for a spin.
Should be able to handle water as well.
Probably hard to make those steel rails float.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
No, it leaves the rails.
Some irony in this one for me:

I've been vaguely obsessed with various contests, that tend to discover the most efficient means to move mass.
One of them involved a lucrative prize, for breaking 10 knots on the water, with only human power.
Most entries were what you might expect at the time...pedal power to props; hydrofoils; all that stuff.

The geeks at M.I.T. took a different route to the prize.
Iirc, it was called the "decavitator".
It beat the competition by having the basic pedal power going to a wind turbine. The boat had a fan in back; powered by a human.
It was declared "illegal" because it didn't qualify as a boat. Stupid shit.

(I was once involved in this show. My concept was also rejected, for even worse reasons.)

Anyway, what we learned from M.I.T. was that pushing air was the most efficient way to move mass....at least in some cases.

Then, there's Black Bird. Going directly downwind, faster than the wind.
Like, way faster. Man, that caused a rukus at jref.
Pushing air is a decent approach.
Not all old ideas are bad ideas.
https://whdh.com/news/man-struck-seriously-injured-by-commuter-rail-train-in-ayer/

This happened at the edge of the yard where I go on duty.

I saw security footage of the incident. It appears he waited for the train to be pulling in the station then got off the bench where he was sitting and stepped out on the rail in front of the locomotive.

Shit like that gives me nightmares.
"The moose defies domestication."
~ stanky
It's one of the reasons I consider suicide to be the most selfish act a human can take.

Not only do you leave an entire family and friend group in pain, they often cause immense damage to train and truck drivers who have to live with the sight embedded in their brain of squashing a human being like a bug.

What a world.
So, was he trying to commit suicide or just terminally stupid?
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.