Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why is this ok?
https://www.yahoo.com/news/americas-agent-orange-45-million-002800467.html

Why don't we need to address this, as Americans?
What was the point?
Why is it ok for us to use chemical weapons?

What moral authority do we still claim? 
This is some sick shit. And it's old news.
Not much has changed.
(02-12-2020, 10:04 PM)stanky Wrote:  Why is it ok for us to use chemical weapons?

Same reason US has by far the biggest nuke arsenal and refuses to allow other nations - except Israel - to have them.
Same reason US allows use of landmines.
Same reason US allows torture.
Same reason US refuses to allow its grunts to be tried for war crimes.
Same reason US is the world bully, attacking nations for no cause.
Same reason US (Trump) just pardoned a murderer so disgusting his own troops turned him in.

Because they can.

Yes, the American public has a lot to answer for.

Do they care? No.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.

"when you think you've lost everything... you find out you can always lose a little bit more." - President Bush
(02-12-2020, 11:34 PM)The Atheist Wrote:  
(02-12-2020, 10:04 PM)stanky Wrote:  Why is it ok for us to use chemical weapons?

Same reason US has by far the biggest nuke arsenal and refuses to allow other nations - except Israel - to have them.
Same reason US allows use of landmines.
Same reason US allows torture.
Same reason US refuses to allow its grunts to be tried for war crimes.
Same reason US is the world bully, attacking nations for no cause.
Same reason US (Trump) just pardoned a murderer so disgusting his own troops turned him in.

Because they can.

Yes, the American public has a lot to answer for.

Do they care? No.

I care.
Perhaps too deeply.
Not necessarily for moral reasons; more because of knowledge and the accuracy of journalism and history. We should know our own history. Not a white-washed version, with huge gaps.
It's a science thing. Reporting factual evidence with peer review.

Had we been committed to that, all along, we may have avoided lots of horrendous behavior.
Nothing has changed in this regard, except the role of the internet, and access to more data.
Even then, one must take it on like a quest for truth, in order to root through all the toxic garbage.

Seeking truth has become a subversive activity....at least on the political level.

We have some explaining to do.
(02-13-2020, 06:43 AM)grayman Wrote:  

Fuck I love that song - it's on my playlist almost every time I make one.

(02-13-2020, 10:50 AM)stanky Wrote:  I care.
Perhaps too deeply.

Try to avoid it.

Someone asked me the other day why I'm such a cynical cunt and I told them it's very simple - if I spent too much time thinking about what humans are doing I'd be consumed with tears all day, every day.

Instead, I use the worst things for comedic purposes.

(02-13-2020, 10:50 AM)stanky Wrote:  Not necessarily for moral reasons; more because of knowledge and the accuracy of journalism and history. We should know our own history. Not a white-washed version, with huge gaps.

Victors write history, and as every classroom shows, kids are taught one version of the facts, regardless of what those facts are.

(02-13-2020, 10:50 AM)stanky Wrote:  It's a science thing. Reporting factual evidence with peer review.

Had we been committed to that, all along, we may have avoided lots of horrendous behavior.
Nothing has changed in this regard, except the role of the internet, and access to more data.
Even then, one must take it on like a quest for truth, in order to root through all the toxic garbage.

Seeking truth has become a subversive activity....at least on the political level.

We have some explaining to do.

I disagree that recording and knowledge make any difference at all.

Every person over the age of 15 in NZ and Aussie watched the movie, Gallipoli, yet every year they turn out for idiotic ANZAC parades and events.

"Lest we forget" is the motto of ANZAC Day, then turn the TV on and see that we'd forgotten before even remembering it.

Violence and war are in our genes and the 99% don't ever try to out-think our single-celled ancestors.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.