Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
some thoughts on the evolution of neurosis:
For the most part, our ancestry is rooted in nomadic hunter-gatherer tribes.
It's only quite recently that we've had options.

Consider the hoarding neurosis, for instance.
Before the age of stuff, what was there to hoard?
Especially knowing that you'd have to carry it as the tribe traveled.

In our primitive state, there wasn't much space (or a niche) for all manner of our present illnesses.
Probably very little obesity or drug addiction.

Crude and nasty behaviors were likely the norm. Murder, rape; absurd creation stories; all good.
With no guilt. Rape, incest, even cannibalism probably didn't carry much baggage, emotionally.
Even if it did, there were no licensed therapists at the time...and no prescription drugs.

Neurosis is a privilege of modernity.
There was likely the same % of sexually ambiguous babies born...but that was either acceptable in the culture, of the baby got snuffed.
Transgendering was not an option. 

There weren't many opportunities for corruption.
It's easy to imagine, however, that our genetic make-up, given the chance, might tend to over-eat or accumulate perceived riches..to a sick degree. There was a time (a very long time) where there was almost no opportunity to become a drug addict or a tyrant or a hoarder.

The notion of a 'shopaholic' is strictly modern. Our fetishes and allergies are a privilege of civilization.
Over population as well. Nomads couldn't afford to carry too many babies.

We've come a long way.
We've created niches for novel neurosis.

I'm seeing cell phone addiction as a reasonable example.

It's a marvelous time for new mental illnesses to take root.

( wouldn't be surprised if i had several; can't afford therapy.)
(01-23-2020, 05:34 PM)stanky Wrote:  It's a marvelous time for new mental illnesses to take root.

Lucky we have such an efficacious mental health system.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
I'm no psychologist, but in the examination of my own neurotic tendencies over the years, i've come to suspect that conditions appearing as opposites might actually be very similar.
I spent decades being an anti-hoarder, probably as a reaction to my dad's copious collection of stuff.
To his credit, it was mostly good stuff. He had a knack for making great scores. And after he retired, he had a successful antique barn.

But i hated growing up with it, as did my two brothers.
We moved constantly because of his job, so it seemed like we were constantly packing and unpacking his stuff.
As kids, we couldn't relate to it. Except as a weird form of punishment.
I remember the day he scored the wood from a bowling alley that was being demolished...for example. He was so happy. I think he paid $50 for all that hard maple that made the lanes. We lived in the burbs. It filled the two-car garage and the basement. But it was high quality wood.

When i left home, i went the opposite way. I lived like a zen monk, as per stuff. Not so much with the sex, drugs and rock and roll...just the stuff. I would have anxiety when i had a visitor. They would always disturb my austere order. It was nuts. Quite possibly the same kind of nuts as a hoarding impulse. Even though, on the surface, it would seem the opposite.

I can see something similar in very shy people versus out-going, arrogant people. They are equally and oppositely self-obsessed.
I went through a phase of consciously never repeating any action. Like, an anti-ocd thing. I couldn't play a song the same way twice. Had to ride a different route every day; consciously kept a random cycle of sleep patterns. My answer to wondering if i had locked the door was to never lock the door. I removed the locks.

But i can see how similar this actually is to its opposite.

(Di would understand this.)