Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
random thoughts
It's still warm here; frogs still mating in the pond. Weather reports suggest they will freeze to death in a few days.

I watched the Dem debates last night. Everything about it pissed me off....including the frequent commercial breaks.
Good grief, was that really necessary?
Added to that was the ridiculous format, wherein every candidate had to be cut off mid sentence because their 30 seconds had expired.
(Might have been 45 seconds.)
Yang wasn't there. That sucked.
Biden couldn't manage a full sentence without a blunder.
The media is playing up a stupid moment between Sanders and Warren that is sheer crap.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Trump is busy dismantling our most obvious protections against discrimination, in housing:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/new-trump-housing-rule-to-increase-discrimination-against-minorities-171350396.html

The front page headline of my local weekly newspaper, which came out today, declares this:

Resolution declares our county a sanctuary county for the 2nd amendment.

wtf does that mean?

I know what the intent of it is. It's macho-redneck-paranoid bullshit.

I wrote a rebuke, of course, declaring my county a sanctuary county of the first amendment, by the authority of being a citizen.
I know the guy that managed to get this resolution passed in our city council. He's that rare vet that believes in all of our wars.
He returned without wounds. Most soldiers never see combat. Do people know that?

I'm expecting major blow back from this...but fuck 'em.

Also, where the hell is Di?
(She's the ying to my yang. How can i function without her?)
(01-15-2020, 04:24 PM)stanky Wrote:  The media is playing up a stupid moment between Sanders and Warren that is sheer crap.

Hardly surprising - a Sanders/Warren fight leaves Uncle Joe a clear run, to the joy of Wall Street.

Swap one old, right-wing, pro-military guy for another. Business as usual.

(01-15-2020, 04:24 PM)stanky Wrote:  Most soldiers never see combat. Do people know that?

Something like 5% of the total force, I think? REMFs work at 10:1 to grunts in overseas missions and with half the force based in USA, I make it about that number, so yeah, I was aware of it. You can bet that guy was a career REMF.

(01-15-2020, 04:24 PM)stanky Wrote:  Also, where the hell is Di?
(She's the ying to my yang. How can i function without her?)

Well, she hasn't croaked as I see her posting flat out at her Aussie forum.

Whether she comes back here or not I have no idea, but gut instinct says no, except maybe the odd hit & run post like the last one she made.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Apparently she grew weary of continually trying to sell her right wing bullshit and AGW nonsense? Smile
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
I find that unacceptable.
If Di has bailed, I would have gotten a memo.
We're in a relationship. She calls me "Darl"; i call her "Snookums".
And then we try to explain why the other one is wrong.
Just like a normal marriage; devoid of any sexual undertone.

(with the exception of TA's marriage, of course.)

This declaration my county made yesterday, along with 400 others, across the nation, is disturbing to me.
I don't want that stamp on myself.
This movement began as a response to the "Sanctuary City" movement, wherein certain municipalities declared that they would not spend tax funds on deporting illegals seeking refuge.

The gist of declaring your zone to be a "Second amendment sanctuary" is that our sheriff's department will ignore federally regulated gun restrictions. Rather hilarious, in my case. I've never had any interest in guns. As a convicted felon, I'm not allowed to have guns. Oddly, i became a felon for refusing to use guns. Anyway, because the stankerosa is officially a "Second Amendment sanctuary", i can now have a gun, and the cops won't arrest me. In fact, I can now have a fully-auto assault rifle with a 100 round clip! How fucking exciting is that!?

The unclear aspect of this growing movement is whether it is merely symbolic, or, does it put the onus on the county, should someone like me decide to use my new freedoms to shoot up the courthouse or the day-care? It's possible, that because of the declaration, my county's tax-payers, which include me and Mary, would be liable for the damages incurred...should i go off my meds. Or on them. Whatever.

It's an interesting case. This 'taint' we've been stamped with isn't likely to improve our tourist industry. And that's a large slice of the local economy. Would you want to bring your family for a vacation on our beautiful river and lake, knowing that there could be people here that have crazy weapons, and they by-passed back-ground checks, and our police force has declared non-compliance with federal law?

Perhaps the nuttiest part of our new status (as a second amendment sanctuary) is that all it required was that a local unelected dude with strong opinions, show up at a local meeting, and propose the resolution to a small committee of elected officials; in this case 6 road magistrates; one was missing; of the remaining 5, 3 voted in favor; bam! Done deal. Three guys. I know them all. They take care of the roads in the county.
One of them stole from me. Another trains dogs. Hardly a representative cross section of this county.

Yet,
Now Cumberland County, KY, is a second amendment sanctuary.

Yee-Fucking-Haw!

As per the debate nonsense, Jimmy Dore nails it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQTWM1_qIcI
When does the "well regulated" part kick in?
"as the pope, i nominate grayman for sainthood.." - stanky
(01-16-2020, 05:52 AM)sparks Wrote:  Apparently she grew weary of continually trying to sell her right wing bullshit and AGW nonsense? Smile

That wouldn't surprise me at all.

When someone starts quoting Breitbart then gets snippy when people with a brain don't bother reading it, I reckon you've lost the plot entirely.

(01-16-2020, 12:20 PM)grayman Wrote:  When does the "well regulated" part kick in?

Oh shit!

Is that what it says?

I thought it was self regulated. Someone should tell the Second Amendment People!
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
If she is gone, this little party is toast.

Never mind that for now, and dig this:

Equal rights. We believe in it, on paper, in America.
It's why we're the greatest m-f'ing country of all time.
I will kick your ass if you don't agree.
(etc)

In my sub-humble opinion, the concept of equal rights needs to be embraced on a global scale.
Standard morality, right? Golden rule? That sweetie-pie, Jesus?

It's a no brainer, really.
Equal rights would solve everything.
Over population? Yup. Solved.
War? Done.
Environmental destruction? Equal rights stops that.

Equal rights is the solution to climate change, if there is one.
I'm prepared to defend the above in stunningly boring detail...but why bother, with no Di suggesting i'm full of shit?

I recall so many past debates, wherein i was challenged to spell out a program that might get us from here to there.
I would tend to go off on new technologies; greater efficiencies; re-engineered transport systems and such.

But i believe that the single answer to the problem is global human rights and equality.
The rest of it falls into place, once we get past our hatefulness.
The obstacle to our survival, and that of the entire bio-sphere, is us, overcoming our hate.

Sure, that sounds crazy.
But i've triple-checked the math...and it is correct.

Do i think this could happen?
Unlikely in the extreme.

Are there other scenarios that look more hopeful?
Absolutely not.

It's quite possible that we need a new drug. I'm a fan of organic chemistry.

It's also possible that we need a new virus.
We have evolved with viruses, after all. Not all of them are bad.
(01-16-2020, 05:30 PM)stanky Wrote:  It's also possible that we need a new virus.
We have evolved with viruses, after all. Not all of them are bad.

A musical interlude...

"as the pope, i nominate grayman for sainthood.." - stanky
Di's like some mom, watching us kids play by the pool.
Ask not what is the problem but, rather, where is the lesion.