Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where's Ms Wundrin?
One post on the 20th and nothing since...

Hope she's ok.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Hope so as well.
"Who's with me?." - stanky
Flying over to secretly meet up with stanky?
Ask not what is the problem but, rather, where is the lesion.
Checking in.  Yeah, okay, just off my game a bit, and in a shitty mood so I'd just get into fights.  Thought it best all round to lay low.  

Nothing much changed,  still looks like Beijing, close to 3 weeks since we were clear of smoke.  Gets  depressing.
The fires have passed here but they're all around so no matter which way the wind blows, except due East which it never does, we get the smoke from some fire or other.  

It doesn't bother me breathing wise, but I've been getting sore eyes a lot so not spending much screen time.

Cuz is sounding a bit more relaxed.  All the trees that were going to fall over have done so now and the grass fire likelihood has passed.

He's got more livestock than he started out with.  "12 head of cattle and calves and 60 head of fuckin' wallabies"  
Plus the "tame" ones,  they're still hanging around the verandah waiting on free bread.

I'd say he'll have them all boarding with him for a while, there's nothing left of the forest.  His neighbours with pasture left have heaps of them too.  It's good that so many made it out though and nobody minds them eating their grass now.

Here's a pic of the farm.  Everything dark green is now black and grey. That forest stretches 50 kms to the left and most of it is gone.  

The blue line is roughly the boundary of the farm, the striped area is burnt out.  The farm's just about 1Km on the long axis from gates to back boundary.
The red dot on the left is/was the old house and sheds. The dot to the right is his present house and sheds and the little triangle is where the dam is.  

The red dot further right across the road is one of those 'miracle' stories we hear.    '
The old bloke who lives was told to leave but he''d already graded every inch of the cleared land around his house right down to the dirt and plugged his guttering and filled it with water and he stayed to 'fight the dragon'.
 ... and the stubborn old bastard won!   Saved his house, tractor and ute.  Winner.

That clearing isn't  more than 3 acres tops.  Imagine standing in that with the biggest fire seen in 50 years all around you.   More guts than brains I think.

[Image: Farm-burnt-area.png]

..that's me done, eyes are getting sore again, drops and sleep required.  I'll catch up on the goss later. 
Glad she's OK. Not one word about climate change though. She must really be off her game. Smile
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
Kinda wish I could send them the weather we have had the past week or so: Cold, rain, sleet, and snow.
(11-25-2019, 08:00 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Checking in.  Yeah, okay, just off my game a bit, and in a shitty mood so I'd just get into fights.

And that's different from usual how?

Glad you're ok, though!
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Sweetie-pie,

your post made me weepy.
i feel for all that tragic shit, and for the heroes in it, and the burnt koalas and all.

and much as i miss fighting with you, i get why you aren't in the mood.
Dragging climate change into this would be like a funeral for your best friend, whom died of lung-cancer.
And some asshole yells "Well, we told him not to smoke!"

I'm trying to be the anti-asshole of that.

Which, most likely, is another form of asshole.

(sigh)
If you can show me the evidence that climate change causes pyromania I'll give it another looking at. I know it causes mob mentality hysteria, but pyromania??

All of the big ones were started in National Parks by 'human activity', in cooler than average weather for the season. Kind of hard to link it to a 1 degree rise globally or blizzards in the NH or to Greta having a grump.

Just because you want something to hang on it doesn't mean that it fits. sorry mate.

A 1 degree C rise in a century is highly unlikely to be the cause of every single thing that nature throws at us.

But, if it's of comfort to you go ahead. It will continue to rise so that should please you.
Oz will continue to get drier, the oceans will continue to rise as they have since the last ice age. Relax, it's all happening mate ... just not as fast or as 'catastrophically' as the doom junkies want it to.

This is not Oz's first date with bush fires you know. Unusual for up here, but they happen, and it was 50 years ago that ones this big were seen. There have been other smaller shorter outbreaks quite often between though.

Maybe climate change caused less casualties and damage than was expected? Only 6 dead and 600 houses lost. Could been a lot worse, and has been in other parts of Oz at other times.

Settle down and think about how pissy you'd be if you were told that you deserved it that climate change caused blizzards and that cold shit that happens up there every year. If you would only kneel before the science it would all go away. Are early freeze ups new there? Never happen before? .. Bush fires seem to be something that never happened in Oz before according to 'alarmists' too. Annoyin' innit?

Miss me? [Image: yahoo-grinning-smiley-emoticon.gif]
(11-25-2019, 01:45 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Miss me? [Image: yahoo-grinning-smiley-emoticon.gif]

[Image: giphy.gif]