Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Done here now.
In case Sparks is lurking...

[Image: distillerycats-dele.jpg]
"Who's with me?." - stanky
(10-20-2019, 04:08 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  By staying on the designated path of science the 'believers' in it think others must then be cured of their mental flights of fancy as though if that's "logical" then it will have to happen.  But, if no one goes to look at what they think they 'see' in there how do you convince them that it's bullshit?   No harm in looking at it, only in believing it.

I've just said a piece in the other thread, but I'll add a snippet in here, because it's another total misrepresentation.

Science is all about the unknown and challenging the parameters of knowledge.

That's how new discoveries are made. You are confusing the blind, unquestioning of religion with the open mind of science. Science has this beautiful idea - we are standing on the shoulders of giants. Newton's calculus enabled Rutherford to develop theories that Einstein picked up and developed completely new theories from.

If Newton & Rutherford hadn't given that knowledge to Einstein via the written word, he'd still be sitting under an apple tree trying to figure out gravity.

I keep repeating Sagan: "We must keep an open mind, but not so open our brains fall out."

And once someone in science starts wondering "what if" they develop a hypothesis to test for it, then proceed, and if he or she finds an answer, eleventy million other scientists pick it to pieces.

You're on entirely the wrong ship here.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
(10-20-2019, 07:58 PM)grayman Wrote:  In case Sparks is lurking...

[Image: distillerycats-dele.jpg]

Pussy & scotch - my all-time favourite.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
(10-20-2019, 08:16 PM)The Atheist Wrote:  
(10-20-2019, 04:08 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  By staying on the designated path of science the 'believers' in it think others must then be cured of their mental flights of fancy as though if that's "logical" then it will have to happen.  But, if no one goes to look at what they think they 'see' in there how do you convince them that it's bullshit?   No harm in looking at it, only in believing it.

I've just said a piece in the other thread, but I'll add a snippet in here, because it's another total misrepresentation.

Science is all about the unknown and challenging the parameters of knowledge.

That's how new discoveries are made. You are confusing the blind, unquestioning of religion with the open mind of science. Science has this beautiful idea - we are standing on the shoulders of giants. Newton's calculus enabled Rutherford to develop theories that Einstein picked up and developed completely new theories from.

If Newton & Rutherford hadn't given that knowledge to Einstein via the written word, he'd still be sitting under an apple tree trying to figure out gravity.

I keep repeating Sagan: "We must keep an open mind, but not so open our brains fall out."

And once someone in science starts wondering "what if" they develop a hypothesis to test for it, then proceed, and if he or she finds an answer, eleventy million other scientists pick it to pieces.

You're on entirely the wrong ship here.

nope.
you're entirely wrong.

Allow me to rip your argument to shreds?
You won't be able to, but you're welcome to try.

If you're just going to come out with more wank like the post I just replied to in the Trump irony thread, save your time and don't bother.
shucks.

I was trying to make a joke.

Truth is, i could rip your argument to shreds.
Fact is, you'd reject it.

As you say, why bother?