Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
top secret
I've always hated the concept of 'top secret' information.
In fact, I hate low-level secrecy.

If someone says to me, "Don't tell anyone I told you this, but....."
I cut them off at the pass. 
I don't want to hear your secret shit. I will absolutely tell all your secrets to everyone.
I absolutely can't be trusted to keep your secrets. So, don't tell me them.

I don't want to know who you fucked that you shouldn't have. I don't want to know where your pot patch is.
If you insist on telling me, I will blab it all over town. For revenge.
I told you I don't want to know. I was being honest and forth-right,

I can't be trusted with secret information. I hate secret information.
The notion that we must have top secret information between nations is repugnant to me.

What are we needing to hide, and why?
Wouldn't full disclosure be better?

Honesty is the best policy.

Yet, we go to great extremes to be dishonest.

Why?

And why doesn't it give us the creeps?

This information is top secret. It's classified information.
We don't want our enemies getting it.

To this end, we have developed all manner of secret codes, to disguise what our true intent is.

But why?

What are we up to, in secret, that is essential to not reveal to our enemies?
And why do we have these enemies?

What if we examined some of this need for secrecy?

What if we called our bluff?
(09-26-2019, 09:24 PM)stanky Wrote:  I've always hated the concept of 'top secret' information.
So, if someone feels they want to talk to someone, but want it to remain confidential - let's say a woman who needed to have an abortion, and just wants to open up to someone to ease her feelings a little.
You would blast that out to everyone.
Classy.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
is it not strange how readily we accept the concept of deception?
It has become an essential element of the human condition.
We are clearly not on the same team. We can't risk having our opponent getting wind of our strategy to defeat them.

But what if we were all on the same team?
The very thought of that would undermine a vast amount of our efforts to obtain a superior position. With our enemies.
Without the concept of enemies, the majority of human endeavors would be rendered pointless.

Yet, we persist with this idea of global peace...as if it is the lofty goal.
We pretend to want to get along...but we would have no idea how to behave if that ever came to pass.
Humans are adept at conflict. Our essential hatred of each other is the mover in all our technological advancements
Without warfare, we would be lost.

The problem is, as we evolve. it becomes more difficult to focus in on who our enemies are.
Nationalism is a fine refuge for the last ditch need to have enemies.

We aren't ready to even imagine getting along with each other...even though, we pretend that's the goal.
We need to have top secret shit...but it is uncomfortable to ask why.

Human evolution is in a really awkward phase.
We are no where near being on the same team....
Yet we must suspect that we need to be, if we want to survive.

But we have so much history and skills, dedicated to fucking each other over...and being deceptive with each other....
It's what we do.

We're so deep into this shit, we hardly blink when we hear about 'top secret' information.
(09-26-2019, 09:40 PM)The Atheist Wrote:  
(09-26-2019, 09:24 PM)stanky Wrote:  I've always hated the concept of 'top secret' information.
So, if someone feels they want to talk to someone, but want it to remain confidential - let's say a woman who needed to have an abortion, and just wants to open up to someone to ease her feelings a little.
Classy.

Knock it off, mate. Dive in a bit deeper.
Quote:Humans are adept at conflict. Our essential hatred of each other is the mover in all our technological advancements

Without warfare, we would be lost.

Could have saved some typing time Stanky,   you answered the question.

(09-26-2019, 10:17 PM)stanky Wrote:  
(09-26-2019, 09:40 PM)The Atheist Wrote:  So, if someone feels they want to talk to someone, but want it to remain confidential - let's say a woman who needed to have an abortion, and just wants to open up to someone to ease her feelings a little.
Classy.

Knock it off, mate. Dive in a bit deeper.

Amazing stank:  You post something, someone points out a flaw in your argument, and you come back with an injunction to "knock it off."

There are plenty of legitimate reasons for withholding information: 

A child does not need to know the combo to the gun safe.
Meth-heads do not need to know how to disable the alarm system at my house.
An embittered ex-wife does not need to know the pin code for your bank account.

Motivation for withholding information comes down to two reasons.  Protection of those who can't make well reasoned decisions for themselves and protection of us against all the assholes in this world who, despite being rational adults, can't wait to kill you, fuck your dead body, and take everything you've accumulated that makes life in the wilderness bearable.

People actively deceive or lie for the same fucking reasons plus one more:  To attempt to avoid reprisals when they've been caught or accused of wrongdoing under our various legal and moral codes.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
Onya Sparky.
As your punishment, I have decided to withhold a huge secret.
(09-26-2019, 10:17 PM)stanky Wrote:  Knock it off, mate. Dive in a bit deeper.

As I tell my kids - worry about the deep end when you can deal with the shallow end.

Sparks covers it nicely:

(09-27-2019, 06:03 AM)sparks Wrote:  There are plenty of legitimate reasons for withholding information: 

A child does not need to know the combo to the gun safe.
Meth-heads do not need to know how to disable the alarm system at my house.
An embittered ex-wife does not need to know the pin code for your bank account.

Especially that third option!
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Dang! Just lost a huge post, with a slightly wrong touch of the keyboard.

It was very apologetic. With a few paradoxical twists.