Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What did you learn today?
This is a serious new concept thread. It's success depends on your participation.
I've put it in the humor forum, as a means of by-passing irony.

Personally, I've learned nothing today. 
Hence, this thread.

I want to know what you've learned today.
Then, with luck and osmosis, i will learn something today.

Go!

(Go?)
OMG!  this is a worry,  I remember starting a similar thread on another forum.  Think it was called WILT  What I Learned Today.    We really shouldn't have these syzygy moments of mental alignments Stanky.   I'm sure you are as shaken by this revelation as I am.  .. maybe that's what we learned today? Confused AngelBig Grin

I did learn something smugly comforting. Coincidentally another mental alignment surprise.

My attitude to climate change media reporting is in synch with none other than the General Secretary of the WMO!
a yeehaaa moment eh?

The source will startle the horses here but the content appears genuine and attributed.
I've just found this site and will read up on some other stuff there,  the article about Extinction Rebellion rings alarm bells loudly.

Quote:https://www.thegwpf.com/wmo-boss-says-climate-discussion-has-gone-off-the-rails/

WMO Secretary-General Rejects Climate ‘Doomsters and Extremists’
  • Date: 06/09/19
  • Andrew Montford and Mikko Paunio
The Secretary-General of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) says that the alarmist narrative on climate change has gone off the rails and criticised the news media for provoking unjustified anxiety.
[Image: Spencer-Lecture-CoE-News-1-2400x1600.png]Petteri Taalas, Secretary-General of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
Speaking to Finland’s financial newspaper Talouselämä (“The Journal”) on 6 September 2019, Petteri Taalas called for cooler heads to prevail, saying that he does not accept arguments that the end of the world is at hand:
Quote:It is not going to be the end of the world. The world is just becoming more challenging. In parts of the globe living conditions are becoming worse, but people have survived in harsh conditions.
He also says that the Finnish discourse on climate change has become overly doom-laden:
Quote:The atmosphere created by media has been provoking anxiety. The latest idea is that children are a negative thing. I am worried for young mothers, who are already under much pressure. This will only add to their burden.
Moreover, contrary to much of what is heard in the media, he thinks that the solution to climate change does not require people to live ascetic lives. “If you start to live like an orthodox monk”, he says, “the world is not going be saved”. He stresses that standards of living should not be lowered.
And he suggests that radical environmentalists are now a major problem:
Quote:While climate sceptisism has become less of an issue, now we are being challenged from the other side. Climate experts have been attacked by these people and they claim that we should be much more radical. They are doomsters and extremists; they make threats. Much more radical action is demanded by Extinction Rebellion movement. They demand zero emissions by 2025 and “honest” climate information from governments.
To Taalas, the deep greens have been abusing the reports of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, cherrypicking parts that they think will support radical action.
Quote:The IPCC reports have been read in a similar way to the Bible: you try to find certain pieces or sections from which you try to justify your extreme views. This resembles religious extremism.
Although he is critical of right wing populists who do not accept any climate action, he warns of what might happen if fuel taxes are raised too far, noting the protests of the French gilets jaunes.
Taalas hopes that mainstream media will become more critical and hopes more for a more diverse presentation of views and argues that all sides should be interviewed.
Quote:We should consider critically, and with reservations, the thoughts of experts…”
Full interview (in Finnish)
Quoting one of the worst denier sites on the internet isn't going to help you much, and the only thing you learned is that it's making a mountain out of a molehill. I'd also like to see a different translation of what was said, because the Finnish -> English translator I used seems to be quite different to what the deniers are saying he said.

You really do give yourself away when you post from outright denier sites.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
I find it a little interesting that Finnish newspapers use the identical language for interviews with the same guy in April and June.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
So he didn't say it or he's just wrong or what?? Hard to believe I'm the only person on the planet who suspects that investors are making a motza out of keeping the population terrified.

I get 10 a day of these quotes and data exposes and graphs I just spot one that interests me now and then, (like when one agrees with me, which ain't often) and throw it out to see who hits it.

You know what I really think of the climate change 'religion' ... that both sides are barking bloody crazy, or at least the media makes them look that way.

Saw a really good local program today. It deals with rural matters, things agricultural, cropping livestock new technologies etc that would glaze city folk eyeballs in seconds.

It covered the adaptations that farmers have been making to cope with the changes in seasonal rainfall, and to bring impoverished soil back to productive land.

One bloke found he couldn't afford 3 grand to get someone to spray for weeds so he went looking for an alternative and found a company that operates biggish drones, loaded with spraying gear which can go out into the paddocks and spot the particular weed to be eradicated, hover over it, spray it, then move on to look for more of them. No chemical waste killing good plants with bad, no residual chemical killing microbes in the soil and it costs a 3rd of the usual treatment.
Awesome to watch the things in action, but it did remind me of Skynet in the Terminator movies.

Others are weaning livestock off drenching for worms etc, because their shit is toxic and killing off microorganisms that keep the soil healthy. ... fuck Monsanto !

They have turned degraded almost useless land with high salinity and low carbon readings into beautiful loamy soil in only a few years. There is more than that involved, introducing nitrogen and other things I've forgotten. The sheep now instead of damaging the land are fertilizing it again. Oddly enough the sheep are healthy enough not to need drenches. ... shit I'm talking sheep to a Kiwi.[Image: yellow-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif]

Another is reconditioning the soil by mixing the pasture. It's been practice to keep to one or two kinds of pasture but this fella seeds his paddocks with all kinds of veggies and whatever seeds he can get cheapish and that cattle can eat and lets it go. The cattle are knee high in raddish, spinach,and whatever else, and are looking good with almost no chemicals used.

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/landline

The episode is Sunday 8/9/2019

Don't know if you can access it but it's of interest as a climate change special and shows that those billions spent on "stopping" climate change would be far better spent on adapting to it. ... which was my argument all along.

Nothing will stop it, we have to adapt to it with something better than a windmill and a battery.
Life in general seems to adapt via mass extinctions and the occasional beneficial mutation.
In the span of big time, this heating we're causing will be a minor blip for life itself.
Except for the plastic. That's likely to be a hassle for multi-celled organisms long after we're just a memory.

Or, of course, if we manage to have a full on nuke war.

You sure don't like those windmills, love.
Is it because of Don Quixote?

Donald Trump does some hilarious stand-up comedy on windmills.

Will we adapt? Possibly.
It might first require a drastic reduction in our numbers.

(I'm one of those guys that sees the cup as half full and half empty simultaneously.)
(09-08-2019, 08:04 AM)stanky Wrote:  (I'm one of those guys that sees the cup as half full and half empty simultaneously.)

I am one of those guys who wonders who was drinking out of my cup.
"Just be patient, have a rum shot and a smoke and maybe a toke and enjoy the company." - sparks
Got a feeling it was whatshername.

That's why i drink from a graduated cylinder...you can keep a close eye on the degree of fullness or emptiness. In metric.
(09-08-2019, 06:09 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  So he didn't say it or he's just wrong or what??   Hard to believe I'm the only person on the planet who suspects that investors are making a motza out of keeping the population terrified.

For the jillionth time, the tiny amounts being made by green energy is less than insignificant in the face of the trillions in fossil fuel.

Take the other side for a sec - the other side to me, that is.

Trump and the Republicans are actively pursuing anti-trust cases against car makers who have voluntarily gone along with California's emission laws.

What kind of cynicism does a politician need to have to actively try to enforce higher emissions?

Do you even notice that, far less post about it?
Glad TA made this point.

There's so many examples of pointless and provocative "fuck you, liberals!" moments in this new regime.
They are bending over backwards in their 'fuck you" posturing.

It's not just the insane (life time) judges he has appointed, it's the laws being over-turned.
Some of them border on silliness...just to poke an eye in the liberal mind-set.
An example from Appalachia, we're now allowed to shoot bears that are hibernating.
Why? I guess because it sounds like a mean thing to do?

Yeah, it is. It's all mean spirited, stupid shit, from my perspective. It's proactively dumb-ass shit.
And Trump jokes around about extra terms.

funny