Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Synthetic Biology Explained
Well, not well enough for me to follow  Blush  ...  but are any of you up to speed on this research?

https://www.bio.org/articles/synthetic-biology-explained
Just another web-shill for companies that wants to make a buck by building living systems to produce product, most notably biofuel. The list of stated goals strikes me as a mess of word salad in that there is nothing specific with the exception of biofuels as mentioned elsewhere in their little diatribe.

I see no advantage to any of this biofuel nonsense as it will still require lots and lots of energy and biofuels, when burned, will release lots and lots of greenhouse gases. It has been noted that biofuels are carbon neutral. OK, I'll give you that much.

Admittedly, the possibilities as generalized here are endless, and possibly gruesome in the event of a mistake/accident. This eventuality would require the release of a synthetic (man-made) organism into the environment, a virus or bacterium say, that has negative or even lethal effects and can't be easily eradicated. And that is fucking sci-fi at the moment. But if there's a profit in any of this, they won't quite until the inevitable happens.

Human greed knows no bounds, has no morals, ignores ethics.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
I have some thoughts and opinions on the matter.

(I bet that's a surprise.)
Wasn't there talk some years back about engineering a bug that would consume plastic? Imagine what would happen if they released one that worked way better than they'd expected?

Civilization would crumble.

Now, I realize that plastic garbage is a serious problem. But we'd better be damned careful how we address that problem or we'll only make shit worse.
Fungi.

That's who could save us. Maybe.

An artificial baleen whale might be handy to gather oceanic plastic bits, though that problem seems nearly insurmountable.
We really messed up with the disposable plastic industry.

Still going strong, of course.

(Reminds me of Mrs. Robinson.)
You'll have to zero me in on that 'Mrs. Robinson' reference stank as I can't fathom it.

As for the plastics industry, there's only one way to deal with that shit: Shut it all down once and for all. And then make anyone using the shit responsible for the safe and reliable disposal of same. Just like we did with cans and bottles back when that was an up and coming problem.
Thanks fellas, my 'too good to be true' antenae were tingling.
Sparky's post explained why.

(07-07-2019, 12:15 PM)sparks Wrote:  Wasn't there talk some years back about engineering a bug that would consume plastic?  Imagine what would happen if they released one that worked way better than they'd expected?

Civilization would crumble.

Now, I realize that plastic garbage is a serious problem.  But we'd better be damned careful how we address that problem or we'll only make shit worse.

There's an ad running here showing what would disappear if we didn't use petroleum/oil products, mainly for plastics.

The gadgets just vanish one by one and it doesn't leave us with much. 

Plastic eating bugs would do that. 

Maybe it's a conspiracy by the Greens to destroy all products made by 'the oil industry'? 

... just being a smartarse Blush Angel
(07-07-2019, 03:30 PM)sparks Wrote:  You'll have to zero me in on that 'Mrs. Robinson' reference stank as I can't fathom it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaCHH5D74Fs
"Feckin' slaboriosity, i tell you." - stanky
(07-07-2019, 04:45 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  There's an ad running here showing what would disappear if we didn't use petroleum/oil products, mainly for plastics.

Nothing?

I was born before plastics became ubiquitous and there were plenty of gadgets about.

In fact, I struggle to think of a single item that can't be produced without plastic. Things would cost more and last longer is all.

If you come up with one that is reliant on plastic, let me know.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
(07-07-2019, 05:28 PM)grayman Wrote:  
(07-07-2019, 03:30 PM)sparks Wrote:  You'll have to zero me in on that 'Mrs. Robinson' reference stank as I can't fathom it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaCHH5D74Fs

Thanks GM.  I'd forgotten that one. Smile