Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kids/sport/'weight for age.'
Should the various sports be doing a big rethink on how they rank kids?

I know TA is across this problem with football codes where white kids are half the size of Pacific Island/Maori kids at the same age. 
The problem differs in Oz as the Koori kids are usually lighter built than white kids but we are getting a lot of P.I.s too.

The problem crosses all codes of football and even accounts for the high drop out rate of swimmers and athletes.

Should we use the 'weight for age' system or rank them by size?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-30/children-in-sport-is-it-fair-to-group-them-by-age/11216006?utm_source=sfmc&utm_medium=email&utm_content=&utm_campaign=%5bnews_sfmc_newsmail_am_df_!n1%5d%3a8935&user_id=1027030745c8c35b58f3989a58798cd921e327c859fe320df46d80002be55e30&WT.tsrc=email&WT.mc_id=Email%7c%5bnews_sfmc_newsmail_am_df_!n1%5d%7c8935ABCNewsmail_featur​es_articlelink
When my boy was 40 kg, he was playing rugby and was the equal-biggest in our team. The biggest kid he came up against was 82 kg. The coach had a copy of the kid's birth certificate in his pocket, because teams complained about it. One other side, made up of 100% Polynesian kids were all 50-65kg.

Our boys just tackled them all.

I think the problem is entirely with parents over-protecting their kids. When I was 6, I used to play bullsrush against kids who were 11/12 years old, because that's what boys did. I don't recall anyone ever being hurt beyond bruising doing it. Parents forget that kids are actually quite tough.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
You could have a point, I can't recall any great amount of headlines about kids getting killed playing football.

A few adults do, but you'd think there'd be more kids in the ICU from being fallen on by a big PI kid than there are.

I think you're right about helicopter parents, they send little Johnny off to play soccer where they just pretend to get hurt.

... that's good as ex soccer players sometimes make handy AFL players later in their careers.

There was much comment about some League player kicking a goal 'on the run' ... they called it an AFL goal.
Maybe he'd played AFL as a kid? No bad thing to get some cross talents eh?

One gun AFL player made a career in American football as a punter. Ben Graham? He could kick a ball out of sight and accurate with it.
(06-30-2019, 11:57 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  You could have a point, I can't recall any great amount of headlines about kids getting killed playing football.

Correct - even serious injuries are extremely rare among kids.

We've had Pasifika people in society a lot longer than Aussie - the first wave are now dead, or great-grandparents, and the kids played rugby. Auckland started the white flight from rugby way back in the late '70s, but the numbers were still strong up to this century.

A few adults do, but you'd think there'd be more kids in the ICU from being fallen on by a big PI kid than there are.

(06-30-2019, 11:57 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  There was much comment about some League player kicking a goal 'on the run' ... they called it an AFL goal.
Maybe he'd played AFL as a kid?    No bad thing to get some cross talents eh?

Very good idea, but we've known that since 1971, when the Lions toured NZ and their kicker was a former soccer player call Barry John. He'd put the ball down to kick a goal, then kick it like a soccer ball, with the side of his foot. People were astounded - nobody did that; the whole plan was to stand straight behind it and toe-hack it in the hope it went straight.

After that, kids practised doing it and learned how to kick properly.

And now, we've gone full circle. The current All Black 2st five doesn't have a left foot.

I passed the comment that it's funny how the most professional rugby teams were those on the 1980s, before they got paid, when players would learn to use both feet.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Reminds me of Fosberry, and the "Fosberry Flop" in track and field.
(He was a high-jumper that had an unusual approach to the bar; went over it backwards.)
They made fun of him briefly, in the sport.

Now, everyone uses the Fosberry flop...if they hope to compete.
I puzzle over that left/right foot thing.  Watching Buddy Franklin missing a goal from a standing set up because "it's not his favourite side" contradicts the fact that the bastard can thread a goal from 40 meters out while travelling at a full run just by dropping it in front him as whatever foot comes forward.  

The Swans had a brilliant mid fielder Ted Richards who grew up playing soccer which was good grounding for a middie.
They had a Canadian R.U. player in the ruck who was middling but better than any they could poach at the time.  He at least could get off the ground to take high mark and was big and solid enough to hold it.

Aliir Aliir kicked his 2nd goal ever the other day when he was filling the gap left by Buddy so he's looking good for  an 'allrounder' player in the future.  He get's better each game so it's good that I didn't have a say,  I'd have traded him 2 years ago, he looked clumsy and useless.  Smooth and fast as a cat now.

Heard Carlton won one the other day?  That can't be right can it? Angel
Yes it is - and beating Fremantle, who have beaten both the 'Pies and Eagles this year.

Got us off the bottom of the table, too!