Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
quantum mechanics is starting to piss me off
(07-14-2019, 09:53 AM)grayman Wrote:  The picture helps.

Smile

Oh shit yes, why didn't I just study that, clear as day!

(07-14-2019, 12:13 PM)The Atheist Wrote:  
(07-14-2019, 06:31 AM)grayman Wrote:  First image of Einstein's 'spooky' particle entanglement

Excellent - I'll expect my teleporter any day.

When it arrives could you send a link to the seller, I WANT ONE!!
Decent explanation of the Bell Inequality here...

If a particular thing has an existing value before being measured... then a measurement of a different, even far away, thing's value surely can have no effect on the first thing's value. 

That idea is thought of as locality.

Einstein illustrated that the predictions of quantum physics implied locality was violated. To him that meant quantum physics was incomplete, something was missing. 

He wanted the universe to be intelligible. That, basically, a choice of measurement here shouldn't affect the outcome of a measurement over there.

John Bell, also, wanted the universe to be intelligible. He tried to come up with a proof that might account for the predictions of quantum mechanics while maintaining locality ie somehow entangled behavior of quantum particles was all an artifact of the math, it wasn't actually real.

Or that - as Einstein thought - that would allow for missing information or hidden variables to account for the "spooky action at a distance" of correlated behavior between quantum particles.

He came up with a mechanism to test for the existence of hidden variables, which is what's illustrated in the youtube. Watch it until it sinks in, we're not so dumb Big Grin
Ask not what is the problem but, rather, where is the lesion.
I'm more than that dumb today, but thanks, I will give it some attention after today's aggrevations are dealt with.
I do still try at least. siiiigh.
If it involves pictures we can see, then it's inadequate to addressing anything "quantum".

Stop trying to understand that which you are incapable of understanding.

Di, stanky? Get a goddamned room.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
[Image: Screen_Shot_2019-07-13_at_11.59.03_am.png]

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-just-unveiled-the-first-ever-photo-of-quantum-entanglement
Ask not what is the problem but, rather, where is the lesion.
Sorry Sparky,   Blush  ...  they  look like Brigitte Bardot's lip prints to me.
An extremely simplistic metaphor for entangled particles at a distance would be if you lost your shoes on a wild night.

Years later, you find one of them....the left one.
You instantly know something about the missing one, no matter how far away it is.
It's the right one.

No violation of C is required.
Good example stank! Except how do you know they're your pumps and not mine?☺
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
(07-15-2019, 01:07 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Sorry Sparky,   Blush  ...  they  look like Brigitte Bardot's lip prints to me.

One of the regrets of my life is that I'm not old enough to have appreciated Brigitte - she was truly fucking stunning. And blonde! And French!!

Pity she's gone mad.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
(07-15-2019, 09:13 AM)sparks Wrote:  Good example stank!  Except how do you know they're your pumps and not mine?☺

exactly.

(Mine have a little bow on top.)

This is an even worse metaphor of the uncertainty principle, but uncertainty is a given. We can even attribute a value to it.
Like, there's a rather precise degree of uncertainty.

That much seems certain.