Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greatest Story Ever
If you haven't read this, check it out - possibly the best (and most hopeful for humankind) story ever told. (No, I'm not being sarky, this is fucking great)

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-06-18/stay-game
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Okay, that was worth the read.
"Just be patient, have a rum shot and a smoke and maybe a toke and enjoy the company." - sparks
And they all lived happily ever after.

Sorry to be such an asshole about this, but Jeebus this is just too sweet.

Real happy for the mutt. The human should have been able to do as well on his own.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
Reads like one of those Youtube sob stories but real stuff like that does happen.

There's a strong possibility I'm only still here because of a dog.  I was ready to check out a few years back and only that Belle kept trying to jump on the bed and had that worried look on her face that dogs get made me leave the Oxy C and bourbon on the table and pull her up on the bed instead.   Dogs have a lot to answer for!  

I couldn't just leave her to fend for herself.  We seem to need to be needed, even old cynics like me.

They've been running that RUOK campaign here and it's the best idea evva.  The slightest thing can tip the scales either way and just getting a nod and smile or phone call can make a tremendous difference if it's timed right.

You're right too Sparky, and the writer, it's up to the person which way they take it.  Others can have an influence but ultimately it's our choice to make.

I've only ever had mildish episodes of "the black dog" depression but enough to know how the poor bastards feel that do off themselves.  
I don't get depressed at all now.  No idea why as my life deteriorated my depression lifted.  wtf caused that? 
But it's good not to see the world look dismal on a sunny day.  Never felt better about life since I was ready to leave it.   funny dat.
(06-19-2019, 12:51 PM)sparks Wrote:  And they all lived happily ever after.

Real happy for the mutt.  The human should have been able to do as well on his own.

Ah, you're getting too cynical mate. Even I could see only good in that story.

Some people need a helping hand in life. There are probably 10,000 examples every day that don't end happily, but this time, everyone wins.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
(06-19-2019, 05:04 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Reads like one of those Youtube sob stories but real stuff like that does happen.

There's a strong possibility I'm only still here because of a dog.  I was ready to check out a few years back and only that Belle kept trying to jump on the bed and had that worried look on her face that dogs get made me leave the Oxy C and bourbon on the table and pull her up on the bed instead.   Dogs have a lot to answer for!  

I couldn't just leave her to fend for herself.  We seem to need to be needed, even old cynics like me.

They've been running that RUOK campaign here and it's the best idea evva.  The slightest thing can tip the scales either way and just getting a nod and smile or phone call can make a tremendous difference if it's timed right.

You're right too Sparky, and the writer, it's up to the person which way they take it.  Others can have an influence but ultimately it's our choice to make.

I've only ever had mildish episodes of "the black dog" depression but enough to know how the poor bastards feel that do off themselves.  
I don't get depressed at all now.  No idea why as my life deteriorated my depression lifted.  wtf caused that? 
But it's good not to see the world look dismal on a sunny day.  Never felt better about life since I was ready to leave it.   funny dat.

I understand what you're saying. And that it makes no sense.
(06-19-2019, 05:50 PM)The Atheist Wrote:  
(06-19-2019, 12:51 PM)sparks Wrote:  And they all lived happily ever after.

Real happy for the mutt.  The human should have been able to do as well on his own.

Ah, you're getting too cynical mate. Even I could see only good in that story.

Some people need a helping hand in life. There are probably 10,000 examples every day that don't end happily, but this time, everyone wins.

You're right my friend.  I know it.
If it makes you feel any better, sparky, my first thought upon reading it was "I wonder if it's a fake story?"
My second thought was "I wonder if the guy has turned shitty again?"

It's hard not to be cynical, being as this new media has the capacity to be manipulative as hell. We have 'deep-fake' capabilities.

Sometimes there will be a heart warming story about a white cop that stops in at a ghetto playground and shoots some hoops with the young brothers. There's a video of it; goes viral. Feels good.

But how easy is that sort of thing to do? Costs nothing; takes a few minutes; and we feel better about cops. It feels exceptional. But it's really nothing. Just everyday normal human activity. "Oh look! A cop is petting a little black kid's puppy! That's so great!"

Not really. Lots of people would pet that cute puppy and be nice to that kid. But to see a whit cop not being a dick to a black kid is special....heartwarming. To see a famous actor not being a pretentious asshole is amazing. Keanu Reeves, for instance, is suddenly America's sweetheart for this reason. He's everywhere. Got a huge boost from it. For not being an asshole.

(not trying to shit on the story in T.A.s link, btw.)
Keanu Reeves is a fucking asshole.

No question about that.

Fuck that piece of shit. And he can't act worth a fuck. Wonder who he fucked to get into the business.
Gosh, you are cynical.

What about "Gen"? (America's ex-sweetheart) or Sandra Bullock, an intermediate darling of the media?

I learned to read with Dick, Jane and Sally.
Spot, the dog, was a major player in the series.
"See Spot run! Run, run, run! Run, Spot, run!"

(One of the classic lines from those books.)

Occasionally, a cop would appear. Always helpful; always tidy.The policeman is your friend.

(See Dick run! Run, Dick, run! Run run run!")

Dick, Jane, Sally and the cop were very white. Suburban.
I think Spot was mixed race. He had black spots.
(He was named after those black spots.)