Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Game of Chicken. With Destroyers!
This is pretty cool. Putin wins again.

With USA throwing its weight about the South China Sea, and Xi already embroiled in a trade war, he got his navy to step up to the plate.

They might lack aircraft carriers, but they still have a very effective non-capital navy and shoved one right up the US Navy's arse.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/113331922/us-russia-blame-each-other-in-nearcollision-of-warships

They've been doing the same with planes for a while, but they haven't provoked a close-range ship stunt for a long time that I can recall. Nice to see someone standing up to the bully, who predictably had a cry about it. "They didn't obey COLREGS!" bleats the USN.

Instead of claiming it was the Yanks' fault, Putin should have just told them to say: "Unlike our ship, the US Navy was an invited guest onto Chinese property".

Hope they fucking sink the next one.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
We had 3 Chinese warships lob into Sydney Harbour unannounced and to the complete surprise of the NSW government!

Seems the Feds had okayed it but they were so busy cutting each others throats in the electtion and it's aftermath that nobody got around to telling the people who actually run Sydney Harbour that they were coming.

There's a Navy base in the Harbour so presumably the Navy at least were expecting them as there was no cannons fired at them when they moored where our li'l fleet moors when it's home.

Odd thing this international diplomacy innit? Imagine 3 Chow destroyers chugging in and anchoring off the Stat of Lib ... unnanounced?

Anyway they've gone again now unheralded and largely unreported. They spent some money in the bars and brothels and were better behaved than the usual sailors on leave so it's all fine, nuthin to see here folks.

Gotta hand it to Putin, he's a player, knows the game, knows 'when to hold 'em' and when to call a bluff.
Dangerous as a loose power line but cool nonetheless.

I still rank his move on stupid Abbott threatening to 'shirtfront' him over that Ukranian jet as up there with the best.
He didn't make any statement, didn't threaten little Oz or it's rabid idiot leader, he just sent a boomer down the East coast, on the surface, and close enough to be easily seen. Just swanned it down the coast unchallenged. It was a smooooth move and we had a bit of a smile about that. Pootie has a sense of humour.

Message delivered! [Image: yellow-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Should have been the Delaware Destroyers.
"Who's with me?." - stanky
The civilized human condition is shockingly retarded.
Look at what we put so much effort into.
(06-08-2019, 12:01 PM)stanky Wrote:  The civilized human condition is shockingly retarded.
Look at what we put so much effort into.

Yep

[Image: discretionary_spending_pie%2C_2015_enacted.png]
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
It's worse than that.
A big slice of our efforts of aggression fall under the radar of the pentagon budget.
Private enterprises. Mercenaries.
The source of Betsy DeVoss's billions.

But she's on the ball, as secretary of education.
She loves Jesus.
Makes one wonder: What is the military is defending?
"Who's with me?." - stanky
(06-08-2019, 06:39 PM)grayman Wrote:  Makes one wonder: What is the military is defending?

America's place as world bullypoliceman.
This empire is collapsing, as it should.
Trump is symbolic in this regard.

I'd like to see the concept of empire collapse.
It feels obsolete.

I suppose it's China's turn.

I surrender.

It all feels pretty silly...like drunk frat boys, flexing muscle.
We're still in an adolescent phase; putting so much effort into the fulfillment of childish goals.

Imagine the pride in this chant:

USA! Number two!

Will we ever out grow our pride?

I find it somewhat embarrassing.
My grand dad had a lot of respect for things Chinese, he use to warn that we wouldn't know what hit us when China woke up back in the early 50s. They have.

I think it was Keating when he was PM who said Oz needed to switch it's focus to Asia and away from Europe and the US.
He said that 2000 would usher in the "Asian Century". That was in the 90s and he wasn't wrong.