Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Favourite Species
(05-10-2019, 08:00 PM)The Atheist Wrote:  
(05-10-2019, 05:26 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  I used to enjoy the morning after "cracker night"  (Empire Day) when we set off fireworks to celebrate the Poms deigning to include us in their Empire or something, never did quite grasp the meaning in that one.

But I'd go looking for the burned out crackers and skyrockets to sniff the cordite in them.  Loved that smell.

Ah, those were the days. We've always had Guy Fawkes night, but for the past 30 years it's been watered down by the lack of actual bangers.

I can't say I'm surprised it happened - some of the thundercrackers we used to fire up were bloody terrifying in their explosive power.

Same here, it died of over legislation. Only the wussy little fizzy stuff was left so they finally just dumped the whole thing.

People still fire off a few skyrockets and crackly ones for special occasions and there's usually some bang and smoke at New Year on the beach for New Year.
The bungers were the best for sniffing, (you called them bangers?) I'd keep a couple in a pocket and sniff them all day.

Funny about smells. I used to grab handfuls of peppercorn tree leaves to sniff in the train on the way to work. They were growing along one of the platforms and whenever the local train was routed onto that line I'd load up with leaves.
You're quite strange, my dear.

But maybe i am too.
I don't mind the stench of a skunk, and i enjoy the sting of stinging nettles.

Of all the stingy stuff I've experienced, stinging nettles are the friendliest.
And, they're edible and remarkably nutritious.

Black locust trees are in bloom now. Those flowers smell like goodness and love.
And what a tree.

It's the best.
No question about it: I will impose myself on you and Mary about this time next year. I have to see this place of which you speak but never take any photos of.

Make a list now of what I should bring. (I'm not showing up empty handed.)

I mean this damnit! Smile
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
Must be some sort of spell over the place.

I never took photos during my visit either.

Must be experienced for one's self.
I wonder why people mostly suck at having fun?- stanky
(05-11-2019, 11:55 AM)sparks Wrote:  No question about it:  I will impose myself on you and Mary about this time next year.  I have to see this place of which you speak but never take any photos of.

Make a list now of what I should bring.  (I'm not showing up empty handed.)

I mean this damnit! Smile

Well, naturally I don't expect gifts. What kind of asshole would, eh?

The Prez brought a stunning carving of a red deer antler. I think, from Indonesia. It's probably the best thing i own. And the most obscene.

When mr and mrs grayman visited, they came with maple syruple. I sure didn't expect that. I wasn't even able to show them a good time. Mary wasn't even here, and mrs g-man was having back pain.
As soon as they left, i chugged the bottle of maple goodness...so i wouldn't have to share it with Mary.

(That's not actually true, but it helps the narrative.)

The strange thing about visitors is that they won't take the stuff i offer to them.
I'm pretty sure i tried to give grayman a sweet rock, but he had no room for it in his shitty little car with the cool kayaks on top.

Iirc, i offered the Prez a broken refrigerator that was in the yard. It could have been easily repaired, too.
But no. He was too good for that.

(He might remember this more differently, if at all.)

sparky, the holy grail of your inevitable visit is the single malt.
That is the way to Mary's heart, and she is the way to mine.

But truly, i'm always wanting to give stuff to visitors. But they won't take it.

(stingy bastards.)

so i'm left taking it to the dump.

think about what you want from here.

I've got a guitar i'd part with.

and my 300,000 word screen play. hard copy.
No yard is complete without a dead fridge or two, eh? Smile
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.