Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Children born of rape:
In times of genocidal wars, rape has always been a popular, low cost weapon system.
Children born through that mechanism face a hard time indeed. Through no fault of their own, it's possible that their own mothers secretly hate them.

There's also the issue of peace time rape. It's disgustingly common, and surely creates a difficult situation....especially during these special times when female reproductive rights are being challenged by a cynical and hypocritical right wing movement in the U.S. and elsewhere.

There are degrees of rape, imho, and at the lesser end of that spectrum, is the married woman whom suffers unwanted advances by her husband. Not exactly rape, but 'pushy'. Hardly worth reporting.

Eventually worth maybe a divorce.

But the kid is born.

With issues, right off the block.
The poor hapless fuck inadvertently inherits of veritable raft of shit...which, in my half-baked hypothesis, might just lead to he plethora of sociopaths in our world.

I would love to see the statistics on births, around the world:

What percent of babies born, do you suspect were born under no duress; pre-considered, by loving parents that were committed to that decision?

More crudely put, what percentage of the humans presently alive were likely conceived by an act of violence or poorly executed lust? And basic female subjugation in the religious tradition of male dominance?

My hunch is "way more than half".

My larger hypothesis in this reproductive reality, if I'm correct, is that this alone could be the explanation for why people are so fucked up.

The very act of this random breeding with its various blunders and social mores is the root of our problems.
Not only have we over-bred, but there's lots of kids out there that get no love.
My hunch is that said kids are more apt to become sociopaths.

If we can't discuss the nature of reproduction, and it's consequences and wonders, are we capable, as a species, to discuss anything of merit, as we move forward through the mess we've created?

Climate change was mostly caused by rampant reproduction. There's 3 times the people on earth since i was born.

yet, it isn't a topic of much interest.
(04-26-2019, 12:07 PM)stanky Wrote:  Children born through that mechanism face a hard time indeed. Through no fault of their own, it's possible that their own mothers secretly hate them.

That could well be true, and there's an added bonus, because the kid will look somewhat like the rapist at least, so they'll be reminded of it every single day.

A few years back, I had a long online conversation with a christian woman who had been raped, carried the child and was a single mother. I don't understand it myself, but I bet it helps a lot of you're religious and can convince yourself of the god moving in mysterious ways.

(04-26-2019, 12:07 PM)stanky Wrote:  There's also the issue of peace time rape. It's disgustingly common, and surely creates a difficult situation....especially during these special times when female reproductive rights are being challenged by a cynical and hypocritical right wing movement in the U.S. and elsewhere.

It's not just the right wing. It is always old white men, and the colour of their political stripe is largely irrelevant, although I'd agree most would identify as conservatives.

Best of all, with rape mostly about male power, re-exercising male power by refusing to allow women abortions is just icing on the cake. Let's face it, male evolution is a lot slower than women's.

(04-26-2019, 12:07 PM)stanky Wrote:  There are degrees of rape, imho, and at the lesser end of that spectrum, is the married woman whom suffers unwanted advances by her husband. Not exactly rape, ...

Nope, it's exactly rape.

There's a very easy algorithm for whether rape has occurred or not:

Q Was the sex consensual?

A = Yes. Not rape
A = No. Rape

(04-26-2019, 12:07 PM)stanky Wrote:  What percent of babies born, do you suspect were born under no duress; pre-considered, by loving parents that were committed to that decision?
My hunch is "way more than half".

Mine would be "extremely small".

Even in marriage, non-consensual sex is fairly rare, and most sex doesn't result in pregnancy, so I think you'd have an extremely difficult time making your case.

Has all the hallmarks of a red herring. Steve Jobs was a picture perfect example of a sociopath, and we know his birth was consensual, if entirely unplanned. Take dear Mr Trump as another example - while his dad might have raped DJT's mother, it would be a complete cop-out to blame the conception and not the nurturing for his insanity.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
I made a typo above. My hunch is that well less than half of us are born from an act of consensual affection and commitment.

As per degrees of rape, i think they do exist. In consensual relationships, perhaps the male is a bit aggressive; begs her to yield; that sort of thing. Not exactly rape. But less than a consensual decision for her to get accidentally pregnant when she didn't quite want to.

Fairly common, i would guess. And clearly different than a sheer violation at gun point.

Your further objections to the hypothesis are weak, at best.
And confusing.

I would claim that the quality of the conception might have a big effect on the quality of the nurture.

The world at large, imho, is suffering the blow-back of toxic masculinity.
(04-26-2019, 02:43 PM)stanky Wrote:  I would claim that the quality of the conception might have a big effect on the quality of the nurture.

It might, but then again, it might not.

(04-26-2019, 02:43 PM)stanky Wrote:  The world at large, imho, is suffering the blow-back of toxic masculinity.

Has done for quite a few millennia. If I recall correctly, men have started all the wars that ever took place.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Too vexed a question for me to take on, I'd end up writing a tome full of arguments on both sides.

The only thing I'm convinced about is that before birth the decision to carry to term or abort should be solely that of the mother.
Post natal, it's again the decision of the mother to nurture it, or turn it over to the state or adoptees to raise it.

I'm sure not going to discuss any rules by which those decisions should be made. Down to the individual to assess their own feelings, situation, capabilities and conscience if that's an issue.
Theirs is never going to be the same as anyone else's so who has the right to tell them "what is the right thing to do" for them?

I've known a few kids whose lives would have been improved by having been adopted to someone who gave a shit about them, and others whose lives as kids in institutions of 'care' were too horrible to contemplate.
Luck of the draw?
(04-26-2019, 06:24 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  The only thing I'm convinced about is that before birth the decision to carry to term or abort should be solely that of the mother.

That's what really fucks me off most about the disgusting old scroats who protest against abortion - it's 100% the mother's decision. It's her body, her uterus, and her vagina.
No worries about aborted fetuses growing up to be sociopaths.
No worries about the aborted thingy growing up at all. I'm not unsympathetic to all those kids who won't be, but TA is right: Mothers decision. And let's not forget that 'Gawd' aborts most of the conceptions that occur in the first place. That little parasite doesn't implant properly, down the toilet it goes within a few days.

Sorry kid.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
yeah, god is the big aborter of fetuses.
If they're born, god often favors their death, as infants...or even the death of the mommy, in childbirth.

With luck, the baby lives long enough to be cannon fodder in a holy war.

God is going to kill us, one way or the other.
For atheists, it's a different cause of death.

It should be the source of a universal empathy, of sorts.
The great equalizer.
Death of mom and baby in childbirth: Number one killer before medical science, or so I've heard. Wonder if it's true. Too lazy to Google just now.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.