Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That's it for me...
I've worked for left parties all my life, even though I know they're just as corrupt as the other side, but today has been the icing on the cake.

I supported the Labour government financially as well as voting for them in 2017. I paid for my own political ads in their support and was fairly happy when they finally gained the treasury benches, but they've made two decisions that have finished my efforts forever.

The first was euthanasia, when they absolutely fucked up by giving the chair of the Select Committee to a fucking Catholic. I could have coped with that, but today, they have withdrawn from their plan of introducing a capital gains tax. Just about every western country has a capital gains tax and it made perfect sense to have one here. Despite her ridiculously high rating, Jacinda has stopped the push, and the only reason is because she's worried they'd lose the next election as a result.

The world's been kissing her arse for being so brave after the Chch Massacre, but she has turned out to be as gutless as any other politician when faced with the chance of losing an election.

Fuck them. I'm not going to vote ever again.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
It will pass TA. been in that hole a few times myself. Especially lately with the brainfarts in the Liberal Party.

Disappointing that the euthanasia gig was knobbled by putting Dracula in charge of the blood bank.

The capital gains tax, would Peters have had a say in that?

But as I pointed out to the Tony Abbott fans, a Party can't push any of it's policies through at all if it doesn't get elected. It would have been suicide to allow him to remain as PM and take them over the cliff. It was too late to stop the rot but at least Mal won that one, just. Abbott would have lost in a landslide.

Winning government is the priority, nothing to get put out about. They have to persuade people to vote for them and not everyone is going to be on the same page policy wise so she's had to throw some of the cargo overboard to keep the ship afloat, and more importantly to keep the crew aboard.

She would be even sillier to have ploughed on with a policy unpopular enough to lose them government.
Abbott did that, how smart do you rate him for holding fast to his ideological principles??

You know how I keep saying you Lefties take it all to seriously? You do. Your high principles are fine as 'ologies, but they won't translate to realpolitik and last more than a blink. Politics isn't really about high principles, it's only about winning the chance to maybe/perhaps/somehow get those principles into play.

Give her the benefit TA. She ain't Bill Shorten at least!
(04-17-2019, 04:30 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  The capital gains tax, would Peters have had a say in that?

Quite possibly, but if she's weak enough to let the dog wag the tail, it makes no difference. The fucking woman has the highest approval rating of any PM we've ever had, and she has no excuse for not enacting the tax.

We have thousands of homeless people in NZ and more thousands of kids living in poverty, and she just turned her back on all of them.

(04-17-2019, 04:30 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Winning government is the priority, nothing to get put out about.  They have to persuade people to vote for them and not everyone is going to be on the same page policy wise so she's had to throw some of the cargo overboard to keep the ship afloat, and more importantly to keep the crew aboard.

I don't buy that, because she had the perfect mechanism at her disposal: call an election now, Labour wins with a big enough majority to push it through on their own and game over.

(04-17-2019, 04:30 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Give her the benefit TA.  She ain't Bill Shorten at least!

But she may as well be. A gutless wonder is a gutless wonder, no matter what gender or height it is.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
You're a hard marker TA.   Confused
I am. It doesn't do me a lot of good, because my insistence on a higher standard of ethic than everyone else frequently costs me money, but it's the way I am, I guess.

Too old to change now.