Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excellent New Law in Aussie
The recently introduced law that says if you punch someone and they die, you must serve at least 10 years in jail.

In NZ, this guy would have got four years maximum. Thanks to Victorians being smarter than Kiwis, this piece of human excrement gets 10 years with no chance of parole.

Still light, given him being a pathetic loser and killing a heart surgeon, but it's a start.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12223281
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Yes there have been some cheers over this.
For a while it was getting to be some kind of sport, just walk down the street and deck someone for no reason and with no warning. Too many have gotten away light.

Back in the day the lowest act inflicted by hand was the "kinghit". The unanounced swing or jab. The others in a pub would immediately belt the bastard up regardless of their opinion of the recipient. It was a 'dog act' and instantly punished.

Bad enough that it's been overlooked as an assault when done in public but worse is how many women have died from a punch they didn't see coming in their own homes. It's nothing short of manslaughter at least when fatal, and should be treated the way knocking out anyone with an implement would be when non lethal. It's the intent that is the crime as much as the act.

What kind of cowardly arsehole does that? To anyone. I wonder had he killed the janitor would he have drawn the same attention?
In today's world, it probably wouldn't have mattered who he killed - the cops and politicians have actually got this one right.

There was a case a few years back of a bouncer killing a bloke with one hit of an elbow when the bloke leaned on the bouncer's car. Pretty sure it was Sydney and there weren't even charges laid.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
I would only add that 10 years isn't enough. Should be bumped up to life without parole. Get these fuckers off the street once and for all.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
In American tv and movies, people are constantly punching each other in the face...hard enough to make a loud noise. It goes on and on; sometimes with a comedic flavor. The reality, of course, is very different....but it's possible that kids grow up thinking these punches to the head are mostly harmless.

It's not hard to find brain damaged boxers, and they use padded gloves.

I got "sucker-punched" once, by a drunk Marine on leave. He nailed me on the temple, out of the blue. I saw some stars, but wasn't knocked unconscious by it. Very close, though. There's a secondary danger in such behavior: If you do get knocked out, you can slam your head into the side of a table or the concrete road.

People; mostly men; can be real assholes. That particular one was with 5 friends. They found it humorous.
I can also be an asshole. Perhaps you've noticed. Yet, to this day, I've never punched anyone in the face.
In fracases, wrestling skills have generally served me well. No one has to get hurt. Fights get resolved.

It's all relative, I suppose. On the way home from our trip, we listened to the NPR news in the car. We heard one of the worst tales of pointless violence I've ever heard.

It was the murder of a volunteer doctor in the Congo, at an ebola clinic. These clinics have been a focal point of violence from twisted groups in the Congo that believe that ebola is a fabricated disease...and that the aid workers have a sinister agenda.

This, and the terrorism in Sri Lanka make me sad.
It is somewhat off-set by some of the radically decent stuff that people also do.

Spending some time with my brother was good for me. He's a good bloke, doing good stuff.
He was fresh off of an agricultural workshop with a bunch of students from Honduras.

(More on this later.)
(04-22-2019, 05:20 PM)stanky Wrote:  If you do get knocked out, you can slam your head into the side of a table or the concrete road.

Yep, that's what the usual cause of death is, and under NZ law, that makes it manslaughter, because a murder conviction here means there has to be no doubt the intent was to kill.

Easy out through an idiotic law.
I think a lot got away with it due to the David Hookes case.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/death-of-david-hookes-friends-struggle-with-verdict-10-years-on-20140118-311kw.html

He was looking for a fight so it does differ from the 'sucker punch' cases but the successful defence while probably fair in that case was stretched to cover a lot of other random punch deaths resulting from head injuries incurred in consequence.

In Hooke's case he hit his head on the kerb edge which was the fatal blow. Similar deaths have incurred similar verdicts without regard to the original, Hookes case, being provoked and the bloke throwing the punch being employed to do just that.

I'm still reeling to realise that happened so long ago, seems like 5 years ago to me!
Had Hookes not been famous the case would barely have made the papers at all.
(04-22-2019, 07:43 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  I think a lot got away with it due to the David Hookes case.

That had completely got past my guard. I guess as he was only known here in cricket circles and not watching TV news or cricket, it passed me by. I remember him playing but did not know that happened.

If the good thing to come out of it is a result like the one at the start, at least justice can be seen to be done - such as it ever can when someone's dead.
It was huge news here at the time of course, but he wasn't exactly Don Bradman so not surprised it slipped by there.
He was somewhat better known for his larrikin character than for his cricketing skills.
Had to look up "larrikin".

Learn something every day if you do it right.
I wonder why people mostly suck at having fun?- stanky