Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Scared are they of AOC?
This is fascinating - there have been 50% more stories on Fox about Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez than Nacy Pelosi. All negative, of course.

I even saw a headline somewhere last week shitting on her because she pronounces her name correctly.

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/fox-news-smear-campaign-against-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-is-working/

Saying America is sick would be the understatement of the century.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Why are they (Faux News and The Right) so fucking afraid of her? Freshman Senator. She won't come into her own for another 6 to 8 years.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
She might get so popular she influences politics at the national level.

There's a cancer in your society, but its far too deeply rooted to be cut out. I can only see this going one way.

Fuckin' disappointing really. A great case of what might have been.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Is it okay that I think she's a zealot on a mission to promote herself into the Whitehouse on fairy dust policies?

Anyone can make a list of what's wrong but her 'solutions' hold no details of how the fuck she means to accomplish her "Green Dream"... and yes I read it. .. the redacted version, apparently there's rumours that there have been a few of the sillier statements removed. .. but just rumours. No one seems to be able find the links to the 'original' now.

I was particularly interested in her presumption that the farming community need her to tell them how to run a farm! sure does sound Green, that's why farmers here are voting for a Shooters Party in defence against the idiot policies of the Greens.
I reckon she's worth a thousand votes to Trump every time she opens her mouth. but hey, that's just me.

jeeezuz spare us from zealots.
(03-25-2019, 04:05 AM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Is it okay that I think she's a zealot on a mission to promote herself into the Whitehouse on fairy dust policies?

jeeezuz spare us from zealots.

I reckon you've read it completely wrong. She's promoting policies popular with young people, and sorry mate, but you don't fit that bill.

As the article pointed out, she's popular with everyone but over 50s and men over 30.

If she can hold to her beliefs, she'll be fine.
The word 'farmer' doesn't mean what it once did. Growing 1000 acres of corn in Iowa is about machinery and chemistry and the market. The dirt needn't be touched.

I must object to the 'fairy dust policies' comment as well.
Is this compared to the 'non-fairy dust ' policies of the resistance?

Why should ideas be compared to non-ideas?

Shouldn't having no idea at all be ridiculed for what it is?
The 'policies' are no different to the wish list of 60s with the addition of climate change ramping up enviromental concerns, but those concerns were around in the 60s too. "Take paradise, put in a parking lot." remember?

What's new about her manifesto that Karl didn't more or less lay out for her?
So she can motivate the kids?? How old are they? How old will they be in 8 years when she makes her first tilt at that Holy Grail of "First Woman President"??

Old enough to vote presumably but some will be in their 30s and involved in the Suburban Status Circus by then so maybe that idea of paying higher taxes to give it others might not look as good an idea as when they were broke.

She'll be 8 years older too and that crazy babe thing won't fly on an older AOC she's just gonna look ditzier than she does now.

Those policies of the 60s have never amounted to much more than wishes and lucky wins in all those decades so without any hard fast business model of exactly how she proposes to make them happen as planned they remain wishful "fairy dust". sorry, but where's the business plan? the blueprint? The guarantee that any government will be in power long enough to protect the policies from being shredded by the next?

What does she really offer beyond a beautiful dream to wish upon?

Maybe you lads can help her out. Let's see your detailed operating plan for a step by step ousting of the 'establishment' by democratically political means alone.

I'll order a truck load of popcorn to watch that.
To my credit, I've been cheerleading the idea of change as something that needs to exceed political chess.

Meanwhile, I'd eat equal quantities of popcorn to hear what the old plan has to say.

Problem is, it doesn't need to say. It has nothing. Just the certainty that nothing will work.

That's some lazy shit.
But darlin' the "old plan" has been working for centuries. It's changing it that is your problem. The people it works for don't have a problem.

I'm not supporting the status quo, I'm pretty much okay and don't need more but would struggle with less.
I'm just pointing out that the inertia involved in implementing those much desired changes are way harder to achieve than just talking about them and wondering why people don't just do as you think they should.

You have to make it worth their while to change their ways. Good luck with that because even the threat of imminent destruction doesn't faze 'em much at all.

Scaring them hasn't worked. That's the stick. What is needed is the carrot and good luck with that too.
Who's got the biggest juiciest carrots? The people who's plan already worked.

Being Devil's Advocate is a thankless job. Dunno why I bother really. No matter what I say somebody takes any point made about a flaw in the 'plan' as proof that I'm just anti everything. .. well, close. Terminally cynical perhaps but even I make the effort to get the recycling stuff into the right bins.
I hate pollution but some production needs fire and fire makes smoke. Some things can be mitigated but not all and especially not overnight. Sure we need to change, but the how of it has to be a long slow process and it has to be done without alienating, or making life miserable for too many. They have to be included in the process and to do that you have to persuade that it's in their interest ... and therein lies your (and AOC's) big problem.
Those who are to be disadvantaged by the changes need to considered and efforts made to replace what they lose or they will just go and vote for a Trump.

I'm not anti the ideals, I just don't give them the status that you do. I tend to file them under wishes rather than goals.
I hate environmental vandalism, I just don't always see that protecting it trumps the need to plough it or if it's rubbish landscape, mine it. There's limits.
Some tracts of the planet I'd stand with a shotgun to protect it myself, but not all of it.

... later, gotta go.
(03-25-2019, 09:51 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  I'm not anti the ideals, I just don't give them the status that you do.  I tend to file them under wishes rather than goals.

It's probably to do with having kids, I'd say.

If I didn't have any, I could probably give it a complete WTF - it won't affect me in my lifetime, but it increasingly looks like the kids will, at least to some degree.

The idea of the poorest 2/3 of the population being put under extreme stress at the very least pisses me off a bit as well.

Shit, if it were the top 10% of wealth owners threatened by a warming planet, I'd be running every electrical appliance 24 hours a day.

And it's just so dumb and selfish. It would be so easy to fix, but some people would have to give up luxuries and we can't have that.