Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Li'l nuke reactors, fact or fantasy?
It just seems to be worthy of thinking about here as we have a shitload of uranium and thousands of square miles of geologically stable room to bury the waste well down.  
Dig it up, use it, then bury it again.  

Seems really simple when you know bugger all about how it all works.[Image: yahoo-grinning-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I'm sure I've expressed this opinion before, but what the hell:

One of the things that bothers me about the potential for endless cheap power, as in the dream of the fusion reactor, is that if it happens, we'll be allowed to be stupid. There would be no incentive for elegance. We'd have power, too cheap to meter. (As the old saying goes.)

Whereas, if energy is precious and expensive, and has consequences for wastefulness, we, in theory, create better light bulbs and vehicles and transport systems. We build structures that endure and don't require heat or coolth; we don't just toss crap out because it's so cheap to buy more of it...and so on. We don't need to light up every small town at night so that it looks like Las Vegas...because we're scared of the boogeyman.

If our fuel was far more costly, as it should be, based on the ramifications of its production, we'd get much smarter, very quickly.
Cheap oil is what enabled us to become retarded in the first place. Plus, we have to fight over the supply.

Did anyone see the recent news of the deepest descent into the ocean? At the bottom of the deepest place in the ocean, there's a bunch of plastic crap. it will be there for a very long time. We can blame that on cheap oil. It enabled crass behavior. It enabled all this ugly crap you see almost everywhere. It brought out the worst in us.

We're way more clever than the endless strip malls and fast food chains. It's hard to imagine that anyone's particularly proud of the suburban sprawl or the vast garbage dumps, oozing with the products we didn't quite consume that we bought in response to commercials we hate.

You sit back and look at it all and think "Holy fuck. Is this the best we can do?"
(05-15-2019, 09:45 AM)stanky Wrote:  We're way more clever than the endless strip malls and fast food chains. It's hard to imagine that anyone's particularly proud of the suburban sprawl or the vast garbage dumps, oozing with the products we didn't quite consume that we bought in response to commercials we hate.

You sit back and look at it all and think "Holy fuck. Is this the best we can do?"

Yes.

Given that the WH is inhabited by the worst possible result of consumerism and electronic popularity, I think we can go a lot further down the rabbit-hole than we are already.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.