Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are these for real?
Pres, are these things found in that condition?  Or are they tricked up?
I've seen opalized fossils but they were never that  ..garish.

https://imgur.com/gallery/yc7rSbH
Waiting for Prez to weigh in, but I'd venture a guess they do not come out of the ground looking like that...
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
Mary has a rock tumbler. She use to make necklaces from local, tumbled fossils.
They get shinnier.

Funny thing is, when we find the fossils in the creek, they've already endured eons of tumbling.

Sand is tumbling taken too far.

Gravel is as mundane as it gets. Though, it has quite a story.

By the time we polish something down to a single atom, even it has a long, shiny history.

Humans, like crows, are drawn to shiny objects.

I wonder if anyone has made an arrowhead from a large diamond?
That would make a really good arrowhead.
Phone De Beers, I'm sure they could make you one to order.
It would be wasted on me.
So far, i don't even hunt.

But i met a local kid that makes sweet arrowheads from the bottoms of the old, thick Coke bottles. They're sharp as hell, and would easily take down a deer.

I wonder if Bezo's is a bow hunter?

He could afford a high quality point.
Ha! Full circle. Back to bows and arrows but fibre glass bows and plastic arrows. Some big evolutionary leap eh?
It is stunning, and a potentially a point of pride, that our ancestors managed to camp out, constantly, without LL Bean gear or modern crossbows, and somehow survive...and kill giant ground sloths, while saber-tooth tigers were stalking us.

The most badass thing about us, imho, was that we managed to drag children through it.

There were infants in those days.

Badass infants.

We are descended from those infants, no matter your heritage.

Holy shit.

How did we manage?

Tough as nails.

Now?

not so much.
Stank noted: "I wonder if anyone has made an arrowhead from a large diamond?
That would make a really good arrowhead. "

Good point. No pun intended. Diamond would also make really great transistor material in that you could run them a lot hotter without them melting down and that means switching speed where you need that (computers) and power where you need that (you name it here, it's up for grabs)

Would it make the world a better place?

No.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
Damn. I thought you had a billion dollar idea there for a while Sparks.
(02-10-2019, 05:23 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Ha! Full circle.  Back to bows and arrows but fibre glass bows and plastic arrows.  Some big evolutionary leap eh?

Still have steel tips, though.

My bow is laminated wood & aluminium arrows with steel tips. Not changed a lot from the first laminated bows from thousands of years ago.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.