Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a diabolic aspect of performance-enhancing drugs
In sports events, we're all aware of the cheaters that use drugs to excel. If they didn't work to improve performance, it would be a non-issue. But they do work. Sure, not in the long run, but let's put aside the morality for a moment.

What about the use of P.E.D.'s in the realm of academia?
Do they provide an unfair advantage on test scores?
(Absolutely, imho.)

So,
Should students be given drug tests prior to taking exams? Level the playing field?
We tend to only consider this stuff in regards to athleticism...wherein there is a clear advantage to those that use the drugs.
If that wasn't true, there would be no need for testing.

However, the same is true for cognitive enhancement. There are drugs one can take before an important exam that will make you temporarily smarter. Well connected students are aware of them, and use them to cheat.

And unlike the cheating that could win you a medal in sports, the cognitive "cheating" tends to help people become captains of industry and politics. And this type of cheating has long lasting ramifications for all of us. Yet, we don't test students prior to taking exams.

In college, I only cheated once in this regard. I was pretty naive. I found myself unprepared for a crucial exam, due to being a lazy fuck, and skipping class frequently. A dorm mate heard my lament and gave me a common diet pill of the time; and I took it. It was an amphetamine.
I'd never had one before. It was extraordinary. I got an A+ on the exam. Totally cheating. I became (temporarily) much more intelligent.
(I should have failed the exam.)
Long after college, I tried a few more drugs, just for fun. One of them (that you don't hear about anymore) was 4-methylamenorix HCl, which was also called "Euphoria" or "Ice". The term "Ice" was later co-opted for meth-amphetamine in a fairly pure form;crystalline structure that resembled pieces of ice.

Euphoria was a drug that could temporarily double your i.q. It was more than a feeling...tests were done that demonstrated the temporary cognitive enhancement. Afaik, that drug has disappeared. Had it been around when I was in highschool, and I took it before the SAT tests, I might have gotten into M.I.T. Which clearly would have been cheating.

Which leads me to the point I want to make: The flip side of cheating.

It is well known, that a child that inadvertently ingests lead, for instance, will be cognitively impaired...compared to the luckier kids that drank lead-free water.

How do we make it fair?
Is money the equivalent of a performance enhancing drug? Does it afford better nutrition? More opportunities? Access to the gyms and pools and tennis courts?

Of course.
Students using performance-enhancing drugs is pretty mainstream these days. https://theconversation.com/growing-use-of-smart-drugs-by-students-could-be-a-recipe-for-disaster-77587
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
It's been going on for a long time.
What I didn't know was if it had been addressed as a type of cheating. As in sports.

Interesting, in your link, it was implied that the issue was the illegality...prescribed drugs.
It wouldn't be hard for a rich kid to get a script for whatever he wants.

In sports, that wouldn't wash. Even if your doctor prescribed the steroids.

Could be interesting how it shakes down.

Eventually, we'll learn what's good or bad.
I'm not anti-drug.

More like, pro exposing of hypocrisies.

I'd prefer if jocks could take whatever they want. It would be the greatest drug test ever. The dead ones would be heroes to research.
Same with the smart drugs.

The disparity is more about who can afford the cheating drugs?
I'm researching the legalities of forcibly dosing politicians on those smart drugs.
I'll get back to you on it.
Our morality is so twisted, politicians get points for showing that they've only done dumb drugs.
Bret Kavanaugh likes beer.
Even Pocahontas will drink one.
That's ok.

You can even admit that you took some better drugs in your foolish youth.
Like Clinton. he confessed to smoking pot without inhaling.
Obama confessed to inhaling, and maybe snorting some coke.

That was slightly refreshing...like he was a regular guy that went to Harvard.
It's still not cool for a politician to admit to taking psychedelics.

Like Cambridge wasn't psychedelia central?

Alas, we have Trump. he's as straight as it gets. He's never even had a beer.
I can believe that he's never tripped. Or had a toke.

Personally, I'm distrustful of leaders whom haven't had a powerful trip.
And more distrustful of ones that have, but deny it.

Sure, I dropped acid...all the college kids did back then...but I didn't swallow.

That's my campaign promise.
Beauty is, one needn't swallow.

Just let it ooze in through the mucous membranes.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
Damn, sparky.

There goes my campaign.
Sorry stank! Smile You didn't really want that job anyway, right?
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
90-Year-Old Masters Sprinter Stripped of World Record Over Doping Violation
I wonder why people mostly suck at having fun?- stanky
(01-09-2019, 07:09 AM)sparks Wrote:  Sorry stank! Smile  You didn't really want that job anyway, right?

No, damn you.. Of course i didn't want the job.

I'm a feckin' hippy at heart.

Hippies hate jobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm6DvlZ2O20