Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the hyperbole of politeness
"The Honorable Senator from the great state of...."

"The best and brightest; our military heroes, from the great state of Whatever, are being honored by the honorable Justice so and so, etc."

Politeness dictates a form of political correctness on us all, dating from way back.

At the top of the food chain, everything is honorable; esteemed; great, and so on.

It reminds me of PC coaches letting both teams win, and all the kids getting trophies.

It's inconceivable that we would ever hear a speech like this, during a primary show for election to high office:

"From the consistently shitty state of Mississippi, we give you the dishonorable congressman, Worthinghton (fucksblackteens) Johnson, and his corrupt agenda! And by his side, that trophy tart, what's her name, that recently claimed he was gay, which cost her millions had she held out for news media dollars."

There's a price to be paid for politeness, at certain cross-roads, imho.

(In my own little version of the concept is pouring cement. The truck is coming; the guys are there...you're all tense. You think you thought it all through...you only have an hour, at best, to get that concrete where it needs to go. After that, you're seriously fucked, in ways that might not be obvious.)

A Captain will bark out spur of the moment orders, based on the flukes of that concrete pour; based on his experience...and the crew is able to suspend all their issues for a few moments...as if the captain somehow knew more. 
A shitty captain will bark out orders that gain no respect among the 'heroes'.
Pouring concrete is such an excellent metaphor for all kinds of shit, it's a pity that I'm likely the only fool here that can relate to it.
Shiner likely could...but he's off.

I wonder if I could lure him back?
On account of masonry metaphors?

I need to be polite about everything...except when that concrete is flowing off the`ramp...when i need to bark.
We all need to bark at the proper time, based on what we know.
Hey, I get that analogy. I'll have you know that surprisingly I did once stand ankle deep in a concrete pour and took very impolite orders from Cuz without a flicker of rebellion.
The truck delivering it didn't include a labour force unfortunately.
Just a driver who enjoyed the show immensely.

Cuz did most of the work and was boss of the whole workforce. being just me.

(It was the pour for my back patio, I couldn't afford to mess it up!) "Move your arse! get onto that bit on your left! You've gotta do it all at once, don't waste time looking at it, it's not a bloody cake mix! Jeeeezus I wouldn't be paying you for that effort, pick it up!")

... and I did! That was only about 8 years ago, before I started to 'disintegrate' from the inside out. siiiiigh.

He's a very dab hand at concreting, just another of his many talents. He doesn't do bricks or rock walls though, too slow, he's a steel and concrete man.

I did a bit with concrete as a kid too, when Dad took the notion to build paths but it was a very small time operation, mix it in the wheelbarrow and tip it out where it was supposed to go. I had the job of packing out corners and poking it for bubbles or something, hard to recall now. Never liked the smell of concrete though, that never changed.

The message I get from your post is that if the 'worker' has a vested interest in the result s/he's more likely to respond to orders? Worked for me. But I'm just cherry picking it, the bit about the value of the 'captain' is pretty much the same in any situation.
great post, Di.

so cool, you pouring concrete with the cuz. and you not arguing, mid pour. There's an almost unique pressure with concrete pours.

The metaphor relates to the Captains of the captains...the idiots in charge.

The argument to have, prior to the pour, is "Why do you want this concrete poured there?"

That's the missing link.

(Grunts gotta earn a living.)