Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Invasive Species Thread
Chestnut-killing wasp threatens major harvest

Quote:Chestnuts are increasingly used as a form of replacement protein in vegan and vegetarian diets. But a small, invasive wasp from China is threatening the chestnut harvest in Spain.

Now government scientists are considering releasing another non-native insect into the environment to keep the wasp population under control.

I worry when they introduce yet another non-native species. What if the new insects goes after different species as a food source instead of the one they were expected to control?

[Image: _104915035_mediaitem104915034.jpg]
I wonder why people mostly suck at having fun?- stanky
Unintended consequences.

Cane toads. Killer bees. You name it.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
CanetoadsCanetoadsCanetoadsCanetoadsCanetoadsCanetoadsCanetoadsCanetoadsCanetoad​s happen!
The latest science seems to claim that these species won't target others. That's based on the fact that they don't eat them now, but quite how they can figure it's not going to happen when the food supply runs out, I don't know.

On the other hand, NZ wouldn't have any agricultural industries if we hadn't introduced the garden worm.
Love is... that one person whose freshly-warm toilet seat you don't find disgusting.
Once in a while, we get it right.
You can lead 'em to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.
We got it right twice. The Cactoblastis beetle to wipe out possibly the worst invasive species, the prickly pear cactus.
One town even built a memorial hall to 'honour' them! http://monumentaustralia.org.au/themes/disaster/plagues/display/90605-boonarga-cactoblastis-memorial-hall

... and dung beetles! We didn't have any dung beetles, how did we miss out on them?? Introducing them worked wonders and boosted the access to arable land by roughly a third in no time flat.

TA, what the hell did kiwis eat if you had no garden worms? They're built to feed on them really so what were they digging out for munchies?
(12-25-2018, 02:08 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  We got it right twice.  The Cactoblastis beetle to wipe out possibly the worst invasive species,  the prickly pear cactus.
One town even built a memorial hall to 'honour' them!   http://monumentaustralia.org.au/themes/disaster/plagues/display/90605-boonarga-cactoblastis-memorial-hall

There is a monument to an insect in Alabama as well: Boll Weevil Monument
I wonder why people mostly suck at having fun?- stanky